Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 11:41 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,515,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
No hyphen for me either. I do not give my allegience to any foreign nation, the USA is my one and only.
Same here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2011, 10:33 PM

3,672 posts, read 10,578,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Uh, if you are claiming that this man doesn't consider himself an American first and a Hispanic second out of some new revelation from changed values about illegal immigration then perhaps you should re-read thoroughly what he was actually saying.
I don't believe I made any claims on his behalf, perhaps you should reread what I wrote.

However, since you raise that point....why does it have to be either first? Why is it an issue to be both at once with equal priority. I think of myself as American and recognize my Scot-Irish-Welsh-Dutch heritage at the same time. Being American does not lessen my ethnic heritage anymore than being of a certain ethnic heritage affects my being an American.

Old 08-28-2011, 10:51 PM

5,299 posts, read 4,833,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrex62 View Post
I don't believe I made any claims on his behalf, perhaps you should reread what I wrote.

However, since you raise that point....why does it have to be either first? Why is it an issue to be both at once with equal priority. I think of myself as American and recognize my Scot-Irish-Welsh-Dutch heritage at the same time. Being American does not lessen my ethnic heritage anymore than being of a certain ethnic heritage affects my being an American.
Yeah, it´s kind of a shame that all that gets blended in to be called ¨White¨ around here...

By my heritage coming from so many different countries I know that I am an American...

It would be impossible summation anywhere else in the world...

Old 08-29-2011, 06:19 AM

4,829 posts, read 7,731,151 times
This faux patriotism gets tiring after a while.

Old 08-29-2011, 07:58 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,645,430 times
Quote:

Its good to recognize where you come from.

In reality we all come from Africa.

But on paper we are American & if everyone actually did return to their country, they would be considered foreigners.

Old 08-29-2011, 07:58 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,283,536 times
Quote:

It matters when one group advocates for illegals of their own ethnic kind/heritage above the best interests of the citizens this country. Did you actually read the article? This man is also proud of his heritage but objects to illegal immigration even though most here illegally share the same heritage as he does.

Old 08-29-2011, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
This faux patriotism gets tiring after a while.
Really? Please explain what you mean by "faux" patriotism. IMO, anyone who puts the interests of this country and its citizens first is a patriot. You have a different version of what a patriot is?

Old 08-29-2011, 08:47 AM

Quote:
It is you yourself that claimed you are white in a statement made a few weeks ago with no clarification at that time that you meant that you are just white in skin color. Now all of a sudden you are of mixed race. You even admitted that you are "dominantly" white. Who cares anyway? We get it now. You are of mixed race. Let's not get into another discussion about one's race/genetics in here.
Yeah, I stated that I am an American...

It didn't really get into race within that definition...

Old 08-29-2011, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
Yeah, I stated that I am an American...

It didn't really get into race within that definition...
Wrong! I even posted what you said. You said you were white. Now are you going to beat this thing to death as you usually do when you lose an argument?

And by the way, there may be parts of the U.S. that have a dominant Hispanic majority but our nation is still not a culturally Hispanic nation overall anymore than we are a dominant German country culturally. We have an American culture which is a blend of cultures and our language is English not Spanish.

The fact that we have a non-hispanic white majority is just that a "fact". No country on this earth would want their demographics, culture and language changed via illegal immigration. A fact that you and others in here ignore about my statements but instead imply that is racist. Yet if Mexico were to have their demographics, culture and language changed due to illegal immigration from another cultural group these same hypocrites would be screaming to high heavens.

Old 08-29-2011, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Wrong! I even posted what you said. You said you were white. Now are you going to beat this thing to death as you usually do when you lose an argument?

And by the way, there may be parts of the U.S. that have a dominant Hispanic majority but our nation is still not a culturally Hispanic nation overall anymore than we are a dominant German country culturally. We have an American culture which is a blend of cultures and our language is English not Spanish.

The fact that we have a non-hispanic white majority is just that a "fact". No country on this earth would want their demographics, culture and language changed via illegal immigration. A fact that you and others in here ignore about my statements but instead imply that is racist. Yet if Mexico were to have their demographics, culture and language changed due to illegal immigration from another cultural group these same hypocrites would be screaming to high heavens.
Fact is, for my American nationality, I can't truthfully be hyphenated at all. My ancestors came from several different countries, and at most recent, would be many single Great Great Grandparents. To call myself "European-American" isn't also entirely correct, and would be an unfitting definition in reality.

Yeah, I'm an American...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration