U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 01:02 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,144,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
Fact is, for my American nationality, I can't truthfully be hyphenated at all. My ancestors came from several different countries, and at most recent, would be many single Great Great Grandparents. To call myself "European-American" isn't also entirely correct, and would be an unfitting definition in reality.

Yeah, I'm an American...
And this has what to do with the discussion "we" were having? Nevermind, I have clarified what you implied in here about yourself back in April by your own post and also my views on an unnatural transformation of our country by illegal immigration. If some in here think that makes me a racist then so be it but they would be hypocrites if the shoe were on the other foot. End of story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2011, 01:15 PM

5,302 posts, read 4,009,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
And this has what to do with the discussion "we" were having? Nevermind, I have clarified what you implied in here about yourself back in April by your own post and also my views on an unnatural transformation of our country by illegal immigration. If some in here think that makes me a racist then so be it but they would be hypocrites if the shoe were on the other foot. End of story.
Per the topic, as you titled it: "No hyphen for me, I am an American"...

With my last three posts on this topic stating exactly that in some manner...

I've also never referred to my nationality, even in a joking manner, as anything other than in the context of being "American". Sure, I've tried to blend in with the locals in other countries I've been in, but not to conceal that I was an American to myself. It was for my own safety.

Old 08-29-2011, 03:29 PM

Quote:

I've also never referred to my nationality, even in a joking manner, as anything other than in the context of being "American". Sure, I've tried to blend in with the locals in other countries I've been in, but not to conceal that I was an American to myself. It was for my own safety.
Well goody for you. No one has made an accusation that you said you are a hyphenated American anyway so no need to be on the defensive. You steered this topic in a different direction a few posts back. I merely reminded you of your own words and also wanted to reiterate where I stand on retaining our country's "American" culture, demographics and language and how unnatural it would be to lose it via illegal immigration.

As I already stated, the writer of this article is a true patriot because he puts his nationality above his ethnic ties and respects our immigration laws. I don't know how any loyal American could disagree with that.

Old 08-29-2011, 03:45 PM

4,827 posts, read 4,645,479 times
I have never called myself a Portuguese-French Canadian-American. My loyalty is to the United States and that's just how it is.

Old 08-29-2011, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Well goody for you. No one has made an accusation that you said you are a hyphenated American anyway so no need to be on the defensive. You steered this topic in a different direction a few posts back. I merely reminded you of your own words and also wanted to reiterate where I stand on retaining our country's "American" culture, demographics and language and how unnatural it would be to lose it via illegal immigration.

As I already stated, the writer of this article is a true patriot because he puts his nationality above his ethnic ties and respects our immigration laws. I don't know how any loyal American could disagree with that.
Yeah, I'm a loyal American too...

And I've taken that to another level entirely...

Which brings up an interesting perspective. Among those that have served (specifically for the United States by every example I know of), the order has been expressed as "God, Duty, Country". How a civilian might understand the sequence I really don't know (and although I have only heard of examples from our servicemembers and veterans using the phrase, it never specifically names the United States as THE country). It would be interesting to have your opinion in the matter.

What should be the order?...

Old 08-29-2011, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I'm a loyal American too...

And I've taken that to another level entirely...

Which brings up an interesting perspective. Among those that have served (specifically for the United States by every example I know of), the order has been expressed as "God, Duty, Country". How a civilian might understand the sequence I really don't know (and although I have only heard of examples from our servicemembers and veterans using the phrase, it never specifically names the United States as THE country). It would be interesting to have your opinion in the matter.

What should be the order?...
You must be joking. What country would our military be talking about? Our military is in place to protect THIS country and ITS citizens first and foremost.

I don't have an opinion on the order of those three things. Why didn't you find out from our government or some high ranking person in the military to find out why that particular order? My husband who was in the Navy says it means "Duty to God and Country".

This is getting way off topic.

Old 08-29-2011, 08:03 PM

Quote:
You must be joking. What country would our military be talking about? Our military is in place to protect THIS country and ITS citizens first and foremost.

I don't have an opinion on the order of those three things. Why didn't you find out from our government or some high ranking person in the military to find out why that particular order? My husband who was in the Navy says it means "Duty to God and Country".

This is getting way off topic.
No, it´s quite serious. West Point instead says ¨Duty, Honor, Country¨, and had a great speech about it by General MacArthur. Your husband´s take appears closer to the Boy Scout oath rather than what I was trying to represent.

High-ranking military many times have an interesting perspective: I once saw a great presentation by 3-star Admiral Cotton, attributing migration by humans to be nothing other than a natural tendency to go ¨into the light¨. Actually the tasking of the Navy is to watch over (protect) the darkest areas in the ¨world at night¨ map he used:

Clearly we are of a higher nature than moths, recognizing that we do have obligations ahead of ¨Country¨. There are going to be certain policies of our government that we are going to feel are immoral or unjust at the time. Rather than thinking we are going off-topic, I feel the crux is to be able to grasp at what motivates us.

Who better to give us insight on patriotism than servicemembers and veterans? For the true definition of ¨Duty¨ it often takes someone that has served as well. There is a fantastic under-plot in Saving Private Ryan, where Captain Miller (played by Tom Hanks) does the right thing in releasing a German prisoner, even though he would lose his life by the man´s hand later in the movie.

The Army is actually the origination of the concept, so much that they use the scenario in their Platoon Leader Development Course (PLDC), required for advancing to a Non-Commissioned Officer (NCO) ranking...

Old 08-29-2011, 08:21 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,699,632 times
Quote:

I don't refer to my ancestor's nationality because frankly I couldn't care less what they were. They became unhypenated Americans and proudly I am one too.

Old 08-30-2011, 12:35 AM

2,381 posts, read 4,408,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I don't refer to my ancestor's nationality because frankly I couldn't care less what they were. They became unhypenated Americans and proudly I am one too.
I've seen a statement from you that says your ancestors came some over 200 years ago. You are a mix of white countries as the "melting pot" was first meant to be. Would you even know all the countries that make up your ancestry? It would be crazy to hyphenate Irish-Scott-German-Italian-Greek----American. It makes sense why you wouldn't care. You have no ties to any of those countries.

Old 08-30-2011, 04:47 AM

25,060 posts, read 22,101,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
I've seen a statement from you that says your ancestors came some over 200 years ago. You are a mix of white countries as the "melting pot" was first meant to be. Would you even know all the countries that make up your ancestry? It would be crazy to hyphenate Irish-Scott-German-Italian-Greek----American. It makes sense why you wouldn't care. You have no ties to any of those countries.
Many Hispanics don't have ties to their home countries as well, but have this non-sensical feeling that they are this or that when their grandparents came here. I'm referring to what we call the Nuyorican population, who mostly came to the U.S. around WWII and their now grandchildren who obsessively wave the Puerto Rican flag around at the Puerto Rican Day Parade (dumb concept for a parade really) and wear it on their face, shirt, pants, and shoes. They have as much connection to Puerto Rico as I do to Germany or Spain. A lot of the Mexican-American kids are in a similar boat as well. They have wave the Mexican flag around like its their flag, even though many haven't been to Mexico, were not born there, and haven't lived there ever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or