Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 07:19 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,318,817 times

Advertisements

I have no problem with a one day celebration of one's heritage from the nation or nations that one's ancestors came from but when it becomes a day in and day out celebration by waving foreign flags, identifying one's self by those countries first rather than this one and spitting on this nation's laws then yes it is a problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2011, 02:18 PM

3,888 posts, read 4,542,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
by Mauricio Julian Cuellar Jr.

Tuesday, August 23, 2011 2:30 PM CDT
"I don't really believe in being a hyphenated American".

"I am tired of being a part of a community that choses to look in from the outside. I have pride in my name, and pride in my heritage. That pride also will not allow me to use my ethnicity as a crutch. Because I am Hispanic does not mean I need help, or a leg up, or preferential treatment. I do not need a place at the front of the line, unless of course I've earned it by the same criteria every other American must abide by".

Moderator cut: quote shortened, copyright protection

Nueces County Record Star > Editorial > No hyphen for me, I'm an American
Good article!

Sounds like "e pluibus unum" to me!

Part of the "American Trinity" according this this guy:

Prager University: The American Trinity - YouTube

Old 08-30-2011, 02:54 PM

2,871 posts, read 4,792,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
Yes that is true, but everyone i know, no matter the heritage, has pride in their nationality. I love being Italian, luv luv luv it. What person does not have doubt about something in their life.

ciao ciao
I get that california-jewel, and there is nothing wrong with taking pride in ones heritage. But, here's a hypothetical fantasy analogy: Say, I'm an American of Brazilian heritage, and Brazil and America are engaged in a war of survival. What side will I be on? If I truly am American with American loyalties the answer is obvious.

Old 08-30-2011, 06:01 PM

1,574 posts, read 1,019,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by makossa View Post
I get that california-jewel, and there is nothing wrong with taking pride in ones heritage. But, here's a hypothetical fantasy analogy: Say, I'm an American of Brazilian heritage, and Brazil and America are engaged in a war of survival. What side will I be on? If I truly am American with American loyalties the answer is obvious.
So what would you propose here? Loyalty oaths? Internment camps?

Old 08-30-2011, 06:11 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,221,236 times
I have avoided this thread until now because its just a non-issue.
My primary linage is German. I don't go around describing myself as a German- American. I'm not ashamed or bothered by where my great great grand parents came from. Its just that it is completely irrelevant.
If anything using the hypenated designation prevents ubity. Quite honestly I can't imagine why anyone would even care. But hey to each their own.

Old 08-30-2011, 06:16 PM

1,569 posts, read 1,211,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
I have avoided this thread until now because its just a non-issue.
My primary linage is German. I don't go around describing myself as a German- American. I'm not ashamed or bothered by where my great great grand parents came from. Its just that it is completely irrelevant.
If anything using the hypenated designation prevents ubity. Quite honestly I can't imagine why anyone would even care. But hey to each their own.
As much as I disagree with you on here, you hit the nail on the head more often than any other poster on your side. If you go one step further and note that countries are essentially figments of our collective imagination and that allegiance to one is completely silly...well we'd be good friends.

Old 08-30-2011, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmadinejad View Post
As much as I disagree with you on here, you hit the nail on the head more often than any other poster on your side. If you go one step further and note that countries are essentially figments of our collective imagination and that allegiance to one is completely silly...well we'd be good friends.
LOL we do disagree a lot. But respect costs nothing and we normally don't have a problem in that regard.
The problem with your premise in this case is the fact that not all nations are equal. By this I do mean that some have and some have not.
I am not interested in lowering the standard of living in my country to boost that of another. Especially those that have the ability to do it on their own but for whatever reason refuse to take the next step.
If we suddenly said all who dont have a criminal record are welcome. I stress this because we have agreed long ago that no one wants to allow those with criminal records to come here.
If we opened immigration and the only disqualifier was criminal record we would be over run with immigrants. Unlike 100 or 200 years ago we dont have the vast open spaces and unlimited resourses we did then.
Yes the surge would happen. After we were reduced by the over whelming burden many of those immigrants would leave. By then the damage is done.
I really would rather we control immigration and have high standards of who we allow to enter. We produce a bumper crop of unskilled workers. We have programs for agriculture. We even allow nanny's. The lazy elite cant baby sit their own I guess.

Old 08-30-2011, 06:37 PM

Quote:
LOL we do disagree a lot. But respect costs nothing and we normally don't have a problem in that regard.
The problem with your premise in this case is the fact that not all nations are equal. By this I do mean that some have and some have not.
I am not interested in lowering the standard of living in my country to boost that of another. Especially those that have the ability to do it on their own but for whatever reason refuse to take the next step.
If we suddenly said all who dont have a criminal record are welcome. I stress this because we have agreed long ago that no one wants to allow those with criminal records to come here.
If we opened immigration and the only disqualifier was criminal record we would be over run with immigrants. Unlike 100 or 200 years ago we dont have the vast open spaces and unlimited resourses we did then.
Yes the surge would happen. After we were reduced by the over whelming burden many of those immigrants would leave. By then the damage is done.
I really would rather we control immigration and have high standards of who we allow to enter. We produce a bumper crop of unskilled workers. We have programs for agriculture. We even allow nanny's. The lazy elite cant baby sit their own I guess.
But why do you feel that this matters in terms of countries but not states or towns? The same principles apply - if you could seclude the wealthy suburb I lived in when I was younger such that poorer people couldn't move there, the per capita income in that suburb would stay higher. But you'd probably consider that to be pretty sick, and rightly so. If someone from that suburb wants to hire a cheap laborer from another town or state, they should be allowed to. The logic that you apply to countries applies just as much to areas within a country, even if the laws are not the same.

Old 08-30-2011, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmadinejad View Post
But why do you feel that this matters in terms of countries but not states or towns? The same principles apply - if you could seclude the wealthy suburb I lived in when I was younger such that poorer people couldn't move there, the per capita income in that suburb would stay higher. But you'd probably consider that to be pretty sick, and rightly so. If someone from that suburb wants to hire a cheap laborer from another town or state, they should be allowed to. The logic that you apply to countries applies just as much to areas within a country, even if the laws are not the same.
The obvious difference is that the poor towns or states are a part of our nation. That and the fact that even the states that are not as well off as those that are have a standard of living as a whole that can be considered comparable.
West VA for example. LOL Not a wealthy state by any measure. But the roads are not bad, common laws, common language, but most importantly they are part of the Union.
Add to this millions of Wva residents are flooding accross the border into MD or VA.

Old 08-30-2011, 06:50 PM

Quote:
The obvious difference is that the poor towns or states are a part of our nation.
My whole point is that those distinctions are not "real." Meaning that they are distinctions that we create. You might feel more attached to someone in your country than you do in another, but that's just social conditioning.

Quote:
That and the fact that even the states that are not as well off as those that are have a standard of living as a whole that can be considered comparable.
Well the gap between, say, the nicest areas in Manhattan and the South Bronx is actually pretty massive. The reasoning you apply would apply just as much to these cases, even if they're in the same country. So come on, what's the practical difference?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration