U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 08-25-2011, 01:01 PM
 
9,243 posts, read 7,097,724 times
Reputation: 2199

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhymetime View Post
And that has what to do with my question?
Everything.

I answered & ask why should they go back when there were free blacks & blacks that previously owned slaves??

 
Old 08-25-2011, 01:02 PM
 
Location: Cumberland Co., TN
20,014 posts, read 20,509,618 times
Reputation: 20369
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhymetime View Post
So in your ideal world, when slavery ended should they have sent all the slaves back to africa?
How did you deduce that.
Ex slaves were not violating immigration laws.
The economy did not collapse because of the end of slave labor just as the economy will not collapse without illegal immigrant labor.
 
Old 08-25-2011, 01:06 PM
 
Location: Cumberland Co., TN
20,014 posts, read 20,509,618 times
Reputation: 20369
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhymetime View Post
If the property is abandoned, then yeah, you can claim it. That's pretty much what abandoned means.

Could you provide a link to that federal law. In this economy with all the foreclosures I see empty abandoned properties all over. Im pretty sure someone still owns them and Im pretty sure I couldnt just move in and say finders keepers.
 
Old 08-25-2011, 01:08 PM
 
1,574 posts, read 788,884 times
Reputation: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
How did you deduce that.
Ex slaves were not violating immigration laws.
The economy did not collapse because of the end of slave labor just as the economy will not collapse without illegal immigrant labor.
Oh, I see. So would you say we should make legal immigration much, much easier (thus eliminating illegal immigrants)?
 
Old 08-25-2011, 01:09 PM
 
1,574 posts, read 788,884 times
Reputation: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Could you provide a link to that federal law. In this economy with all the foreclosures I see empty abandoned properties all over. Im pretty sure someone still owns them and Im pretty sure I couldnt just move in and say finders keepers.
There's probably not a federal law that says that. It's a principle of common law, which US law is based on.

If someone still owns a property, then it is, by definition, not abandoned.
 
Old 08-25-2011, 01:13 PM
 
1,574 posts, read 788,884 times
Reputation: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Everything.

I answered & ask why should they go back when there were free blacks & blacks that previously owned slaves??
I didn't ask if all blacks should go back. I asked if all slaves should go back. As you point out, they aren't the same.

chele123 is saying that all illegals should go back where they came from, and basing this argument on the fact that the US economy didn't collapse when slavery ended. But when slavery ended, the slaves were not (for the most part) sent back to Africa (obviously some were but the bulk were not).
 
Old 08-25-2011, 01:13 PM
 
Location: OCEAN BREEZES AND VIEWS SAN CLEMENTE
19,899 posts, read 15,287,998 times
Reputation: 6451
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhymetime View Post
If the property is abandoned, then yeah, you can claim it. That's pretty much what abandoned means.
That is so not the case, being in real estate for over 15 years, that is a crock. Because a property is abandoned, does not mean any one can just take it over. We got the police involved on certain occasions, where a couple walked away from a property, and there were squatters living in the home. We got the police involved. The people living in the home went to jail, for how long i honestly do not know. You cannot just take over a property, ignorant people would be doing this all the time if that were the case. Usually the bank will take the home over, those living in the home are traspassing on property that does not belong to them. Their names are not on the deeds are they!

So your saying that any property that is abandoned anyone can just claim, what a friggin crock of. Beause it is abandoned does not give any one the right to take it over. Their names are not on the deeds. Banks will usually take over the properties, and if they know people are living in the homes, they too went after squatters. So what your saying is that a million dollar property that someone walks away from, pretty much someone can claim for their own?
 
Old 08-25-2011, 01:15 PM
 
1,574 posts, read 788,884 times
Reputation: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
The economy did not collapse because of the end of slave labor just as the economy will not collapse without illegal immigrant labor.
But ex-slaves remained in the US. So, are you suggesting amnesty would not cause the collapse of the US economy? Because if that's what you're suggesting, I agree with you.
 
Old 08-25-2011, 01:15 PM
 
9,243 posts, read 7,097,724 times
Reputation: 2199
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhymetime View Post
I didn't ask if all blacks should go back. I asked if all slaves should go back. As you point out, they aren't the same.

chele123 is saying that all illegals should go back where they came from, and basing this argument on the fact that the US economy didn't collapse when slavery ended. But when slavery ended, the slaves were not (for the most part) sent back to Africa (obviously some were but the bulk were not).
Your question really does not make sense.

There were Indian slaves as well.
Would you send them to Africa too?

Please try to stay on topic & stop avoiding the question

This is what you posted: So in your ideal world, when slavery ended should they have sent all the slaves back to africa?
 
Old 08-25-2011, 01:16 PM
 
Location: Arizona High Desert
4,636 posts, read 4,946,459 times
Reputation: 2736
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhymetime View Post
If the property is abandoned, then yeah, you can claim it. That's pretty much what abandoned means.
And do they rush down to city hall, and admit to being illegals, and eager to pay any back taxes owed ? Do they get cracking with hammer, nails, paint, pickett fences ? Add flowers, sod, etc ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top