Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2011, 03:26 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,440,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanygirl View Post
No, lets NOT change the law..lets put CITIZENS to work FIRST...
There's nothing obvious about why they come here..because it's not all about work.
Oh i like you, and yes you are correct. Lets for once think of our Citizens first and foremost. Who takes care of our Citizens!

Old 08-27-2011, 03:29 PM

1,569 posts, read 1,210,850 times
Let's actually not think of citizens first, since the value of a person isn't dependent on citizenship.

Old 08-27-2011, 03:54 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,559,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmadinejad View Post
Let's actually not think of citizens first, since the value of a person isn't dependent on citizenship.
I don’t recall anyone even alluding to citizenship as a gauge of one’s value as a person. However, citizenship/legal status does determine one’s right to be here.

Old 08-27-2011, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
I don’t recall anyone even alluding to citizenship as a gauge of one’s value as a person.
weird that you don't remember, since you do it all the time.

Legal rights aside, you've said even today that you consider helping citizens a MORAL obligation, while you feel you have no obligation to non-citizens at all.

Old 08-27-2011, 04:21 PM

Quote:
weird that you don't remember, since you do it all the time.

Legal rights aside, you've said even today that you consider helping citizens a MORAL obligation, while you feel you have no obligation to non-citizens at all.
Every country reserves specific rights and privileges for its citizens. However, the benefits of citizenship, and one’s value as a person, are separate and distinct. It’s hard to believe you don’t recognize the difference.

Correction: I said we owe ILLEGAL ALIENS nothing. We routinely help non-citizens throughout the world, and I applaud our generosity. But, that doesn’t mean we have a moral obligation to offer freebies to parasitic foreigners, who obviously don’t even have enough respect for our country to obey our laws.

Old 08-27-2011, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Every country reserves specific rights and privileges for its citizens. However, the benefits of citizenship, and one’s value as a person, are separate and distinct. It’s hard to believe you don’t recognize the difference.
Oh, I'm pretty sure I do, and that's the whole point. We're not talking about benefits conferred by citizenship, we're talking about moral obligations.

Meaning that you feel it's immoral not to help citizens in certain respects, but morally inconsequential regarding illegal immigrants. So you are, in fact, weighing human value.

Old 08-27-2011, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Oh, I'm pretty sure I do, and that's the whole point. We're not talking about benefits conferred by citizenship, we're talking about moral obligations.

Meaning that you feel it's immoral not to help citizens in certain respects, but morally inconsequential regarding illegal immigrants. So you are, in fact, weighing human value.
Oh, so now you want to forget these comments?

Quote:
Regardless, as I previously stated, we have no obligation, morally or otherwise, to provide illegal aliens with FREE medical care. That’s the responsibility of their countries of origin, not U.S. taxpayers. Our only moral obligation is to provide life-saving emergency treatment. And yes, citizens are entitled to rights and privileges denied non-citizens.

Back on topic, the illegal Iraqi should be deported, period. However, his presence does prove the point that we have people living in our country illegally from many countries. But, given our lax immigration enforcement and generous handouts, why wouldn’t we?

Old 08-27-2011, 07:03 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,316,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy5 View Post
Let's raise the alcohol limit so Drunk driving will be less of a problem.

Let's legalize murder so it won't be a problem.
Yeah, let's let more of them come legally even though we don't have jobs and resources for them. Yeah, that makes sense.

The only reason many of them here already have jobs is because they work cheaper and can be exploited. Not because they are any better workers than Americans are.

Old 08-27-2011, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Regardless, as I previously stated, we have no obligation, morally or otherwise, to provide illegal aliens with FREE medical care. That’s the responsibility of their countries of origin, not U.S. taxpayers. Our only moral obligation is to provide life-saving emergency treatment. And yes, citizens are entitled to rights and privileges denied non-citizens.
We can forget about what obligations we have or do not have, in and of themselves. I don't even care to think about what "obligation" means in the moral sense at this point.

However, I would like you to explain why you differentiate between your moral obligations to ANY similarly situated human beings. We can extend my um..."confusion" to your ethics regarding the idea of entitlements. Being born on one side of the border "entitles" a person to government services, in your opinion. That's interesting and smells like some sort of moral ambiguity potpourri. I'd like you to justify it.

Old 08-27-2011, 09:34 PM

1,574 posts, read 1,018,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy5 View Post
Do Mexicans play football? Cause', it's really hard to move a goalpost.
Yeah, you still did it. Restricting it to just the illegals doesn't remove the logical inconsistency.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration