U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-27-2011, 09:03 AM
 
47,576 posts, read 58,877,424 times
Reputation: 22174

Advertisements

Handing illegals drivers licenses apparently doesn't move them to go out and buy liability insurance to drive.

NMSU Study Says Driver's Licenses for Illegal Immigrants Barely Impacts Uninsured Motorist Numbers | KTSM News Channel 9

Query identified factors that did cause an increase in the uninsured driver rate: the actual number of undocumented immigrants and unemployment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-27-2011, 10:40 AM
 
Location: Pa
20,310 posts, read 18,931,891 times
Reputation: 6517
Not at all surprising given the fact and yes I say fact that illegals are willing to break so many other laws to get what they want. Whats 1 more law?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2011, 11:02 AM
 
951 posts, read 617,811 times
Reputation: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Not at all surprising given the fact and yes I say fact that illegals are willing to break so many other laws to get what they want. Whats 1 more law?

Willing to break other laws or necessary to break them to actually work?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2011, 11:12 AM
 
Location: Pa
20,310 posts, read 18,931,891 times
Reputation: 6517
Quote:
Originally Posted by huddledmasses View Post
Willing to break other laws or necessary to break them to actually work?
hand in hand. They made a choice. That choice was to violate immigration laws. No gun to their head. They made a choice.
The necessity to further break laws is also a choice they made and it is self inflicted by their first choice.
The speeder analogy and its a favorite of the proside.
A speeder gets tagged for the 6th time. He loses his license. He opts to drive anyway. He needs to drive to get to work so it should be a free pass if he is caught?
A speeder has an increase in insurance because of his driving record.
He opts to not buy insurance. Not his fault right?
Its all about choices.
I get caught speeding. The power went out and I woke up late. So I need to speed or ill be late for work. I have been late in the past and I might get fired this time. So I have a right to speed? I shouldnt be held accountable?
We can attempt to justify criminal behavior all we like when it suits us but it does not change the fact that it is criminal behavior.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2011, 11:33 AM
 
951 posts, read 617,811 times
Reputation: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
hand in hand. They made a choice. That choice was to violate immigration laws. No gun to their head. They made a choice.
Yeah tell that to the people coming to work AND escape violent cartels chopping off random citizens heads.

Quote:
The necessity to further break laws is also a choice they made and it is self inflicted by their first choice.
Uh huh and if they had a legal option they would most likely make the choice to do it legally. See how easy that is?

Quote:
The speeder analogy and its a favorite of the proside.
A speeder gets tagged for the 6th time. He loses his license. He opts to drive anyway. He needs to drive to get to work so it should be a free pass if he is caught?
A speeder has an increase in insurance because of his driving record.
He opts to not buy insurance. Not his fault right?
Its all about choices.
I get caught speeding. The power went out and I woke up late. So I need to speed or ill be late for work. I have been late in the past and I might get fired this time. So I have a right to speed? I shouldnt be held accountable?
We can attempt to justify criminal behavior all we like when it suits us but it does not change the fact that it is criminal behavior.
Wow. We were talking about the fact that you guys don't go all ape**** crazy about speeders who are in fact criminals as well, not the sentencing methods involved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2011, 11:41 AM
 
Location: Pa
20,310 posts, read 18,931,891 times
Reputation: 6517
Quote:
Originally Posted by huddledmasses View Post
Yeah tell that to the people coming to work AND escape violent cartels chopping off random citizens heads.

Uh huh and if they had a legal option they would most likely make the choice to do it legally. See how easy that is?


Wow. We were talking about the fact that you guys don't go all ape**** crazy about speeders who are in fact criminals as well, not the sentencing methods involved.
The conditions of their home country are not our problem. That rests upon the shoulders of the citizens of that country and their gov.
The legal options are there for those who qualify. And lets not forget that a good % of illegals actually did qualify but elected to overstay their VISA.
Speeders are held accountable and no one goes ape over that fact.
Its your side that made the analogy to speeding. An analogy that doesnt fit I might add. No one denies that speeding is a crime.
But if you insist on using speeding than you must accept that if we didnt have speed limits then it wouldnt be a crime. I dont accept this. Nor do I accept illegals are victims of unjust laws. We have a right to determine who is a qualified immigrant. Its our right as a nation. Illegals don't respect that right, but demand we accept them and demand we grant them thier rights when they are caught.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2011, 11:46 AM
 
951 posts, read 617,811 times
Reputation: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
The conditions of their home country are not our problem. That rests upon the shoulders of the citizens of that country and their gov.
The legal options are there for those who qualify. And lets not forget that a good % of illegals actually did qualify but elected to overstay their VISA.
Speeders are held accountable and no one goes ape over that fact.
Its your side that made the analogy to speeding. An analogy that doesnt fit I might add. No one denies that speeding is a crime.
But if you insist on using speeding than you must accept that if we didnt have speed limits then it wouldnt be a crime. I dont accept this. Nor do I accept illegals are victims of unjust laws. We have a right to determine who is a qualified immigrant. Its our right as a nation. Illegals don't respect that right, but demand we accept them and demand we grant them thier rights when they are caught.
Yeah because none of our ancestors immigrated to escape poverty/violence, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2011, 11:53 AM
 
Location: Jacurutu
5,302 posts, read 4,022,544 times
Reputation: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Handing illegals drivers licenses apparently doesn't move them to go out and buy liability insurance to drive.

NMSU Study Says Driver's Licenses for Illegal Immigrants Barely Impacts Uninsured Motorist Numbers | KTSM News Channel 9

Query identified factors that did cause an increase in the uninsured driver rate: the actual number of undocumented immigrants and unemployment.
You read it that way? The drivers without Social Security numbers (the study cannot identify what percentage of that number are illegal aliens if the state does not check) are shown as more inclined to get insurance than the portion of drivers that apply for a license in New Mexico with Social Security numbers! I like this "Query quote" better:

"On average, a 1 percentage point increase in unauthorized immigrants relative to the labor force increases the uninsured motorists rate by 0.54 percentage points," Query said. "We also find that a 1 percentage point increase in the state unemployment rate increases the uninsured motorists rate by 1.74 percentage points."

Increase the number of drivers without Social Security numbers, and the uninsured motorist numbers follow by only almost half the pace. If unemployment goes up, the uninsured motorist drivers surge ahead at close to double the rate! Governor Martinez would have a higher impact on uninsured motorists by trying to reduce the overall unemployment in the state.

Her intent with legislation hasn't been to reduce uninsured motorists, but to stop the issue of driver's licenses to those without Social Security numbers, and require Legal Permanent Residents in the state to re-register for their licenses on a yearly basis. What is the explanation for not allowing someone here legally not to be able to get a four-year or eight-year license like a U.S. citizen in the state can? It isn't practical, thankfully we have had our state legislators stand up to her to resist this change.

A worthwhile comparative study that should also show the same statistics would be to look at North Carolina: Driver's applying for licenses have been more heavily checked for Social Security numbers, striking some previously issued licenses as invalid. When drivers are unable to get licenses, they also don't get insurance for their vehicles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2011, 11:54 AM
 
Location: Pa
20,310 posts, read 18,931,891 times
Reputation: 6517
Quote:
Originally Posted by huddledmasses View Post
Yeah because none of our ancestors immigrated to escape poverty/violence, etc.
History. So you feel we should regress a few hundred years and how we approach a given problem?
Well in the day this was true we had what was viewed as unlimited resources and space. We didnt have a welfare system and we used child labor because it was cheap.
Today we have an estimated 1,000,000 homeless. 9%+ unemployment and host of other problems to contend with. Sorry but the needs of illegals pale in comparison.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2011, 11:56 AM
 
951 posts, read 617,811 times
Reputation: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
History. So you feel we should regress a few hundred years and how we approach a given problem?
Yeah that wave of poverty stricken dirt poor immigrants sure was hell on America....oh wait, they made America great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top