U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 04:02 PM

3,204 posts, read 2,388,165 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmadinejad View Post
Who said I oppose all welfare laws and zoning laws etc? And who says that, if I do, I'm not working to end them?

The ULTRA CHEAP (normal low wages, by and large) labor arrives here because capital insists. As I have said, I'd endorse a system where, with some basic considerations, amnesty is granted along with a rapid path to citizenship in exchange for the immigrant waiving any right to certain entitlements. Not surprisingly, no one here liked that idea.

The cheap labor is cheap because the work is unskilled. Citizens can work below minimum wage and get welfare, too, you know. This isn't some function of immigration.

The cheap labor is cheap because illegals undercut citizens by not paying taxes. This brings the wages down for everyone by an influx of laborers.

I like how you state that it would be fine that they had to waive CERTAIN entitlements then in your next paragraph go on to give your general OK to people using welfare. Who pays for that welfare?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2011, 04:05 PM

1,569 posts, read 1,007,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isitmeorarethingsnuts? View Post
The cheap labor is cheap because illegals undercut citizens by not paying taxes. This brings the wages down for everyone by an influx of laborers.
Actually most do pay taxes. The labor is cheap because it's unskilled and they are willing to work for little. There's not much more to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isitmeorarethingsnuts? View Post
I like how you state that it would be fine that they had to waive CERTAIN entitlements then in your next paragraph go on to give your general OK to people using welfare.
How is this at all contradictory?

Old 08-28-2011, 04:11 PM

1,609 posts, read 877,372 times
Quote:
... If the government is supplying illegal immigrants with welfare unjustly, that sounds like the government's problem. Now you're trying to impose costs on businessmen who simply want to do with their money what they please. Just like you do.
NO! It is not "the government's problem." It is the taxpayers' problem caused by the government's being involved in areas it should not be.

Welfare should be on a local level. One size fits all has never worked and never will. This kind of government has caused far more problems than it has ever solved. Stick to the Constitution which severely limits the jurisdiction of the Federal Government. The Federal Government has absolutely no business dealing with welfare. Illegal aliens are criminals since they broke the law to sneak into this country. The 14th Amendment addresses the slaves, not illegal aliens. That's a crappy "spin" job trying to interpret it any different. Geez! Can't we just get back to basics and quite the political/lawyer spin crap?

Old 08-28-2011, 09:54 PM

1,150 posts, read 992,618 times
Quote:
Employers aren't obligated by law to supply enough money to anyone - legal or illegal - that they won't require government services. I believe you're aware of this, so I'm not sure what you are saying.

Yes, if you provide for like 80% of someone's income, and the government provides the rest, you are in fact providing very direct support.
My guess is that welfare, food stamps, housing, utilities, and a free cell phone easily adds up to 80% of their income, and that isn't counting medical, and education, along with free breakfast and lunch at school, for however many children they have.

Old 08-28-2011, 10:03 PM

10,946 posts, read 7,996,982 times
[quote=Rockmadinejad;20646326]
Quote:
Actually most do pay taxes. The labor is cheap because it's unskilled and they are willing to work for little. There's not much more to it.
Other than you saying so, have you any facts that "actually most do pay taxes"?

Old 08-28-2011, 10:10 PM

19,899 posts, read 15,327,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Very true. That has been the exact policy of this administration and the previous one for sure.

No wonder our economy is fast headed south. It's pretty much "come one, come all for a great life of food stamps, free health care, jobs if you want them". Once here even if they have zero job skills and work ethic, they are not allowed to fail.
Pretty sad isn't it. It's almost as if the Govenment sees to it that they cannot fail, ironic is it not.

Old 08-28-2011, 10:31 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,840,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjay51 View Post

Other than you saying so, have you any facts that "actually most do pay taxes"?
Oh, he believes the SSA and IRS estimates based on zero verifiable data. We all know there is nothing on a W-2 to indicate one’s immigration status. Nor is there a special “Illegal Alien” 1040. Not to mention the government claims they don’t know who they are, or where they work. So, how on earth can they know what percentage of illegals pay taxes?

Old 08-28-2011, 10:34 PM

10,946 posts, read 7,996,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
Pretty sad isn't it. It's almost as if the Govenment sees to it that they cannot fail, ironic is it not.
How true. And all the while "our" government works to see to it the citizens do fail.

Old 08-28-2011, 11:26 PM

1,574 posts, read 791,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Yes I do generally oppose welfare. But certainly if I'm going to be against welfare for my fellow Americans, I'm going to be against it for foreigners pouring over the borders to get in on it.
So why do you care about immigrants at all? Why not just spend all your time on the internet complaining about welfare?

Old 08-28-2011, 11:36 PM

5,302 posts, read 4,020,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
...Nor is there a special “Illegal Alien” 1040...
It can be the 1040NR: http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1040nr.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration