U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 09-01-2011, 02:53 AM
 
Location: CA
250 posts, read 338,010 times
Reputation: 169

Advertisements

It's Ant-American to support Illegals... plain and simple.

 
Old 09-01-2011, 06:54 AM
 
1,569 posts, read 1,005,127 times
Reputation: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hwy phantom View Post
Hay, look who it is, it's Rockmadinejad. Hey, do you remember that conversation we had a month ago, where you swore over and over again that no public tax dollars would be going to pay for illegals in college? Well, what's your argument now?
lol? A month ago there was a bill allowing private aid. You guys got all in a tizzy because, for some reason, no one seemed to know the difference. My "argument" wasn't that public aid for illegal immigrants it the best thing evaaaa, it was that everyone who confused the two had no idea what they were talking about.
 
Old 09-01-2011, 07:34 AM
 
1,574 posts, read 788,884 times
Reputation: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by GimmeMts View Post
Yes, but they pay a lot less and many are paid under the table. Others work for employers who don't deduct payments, such as social security and medicare, from their paychecks. The statistics on this are a bit murky, but I do not consider whatever percentage they do contribute to be significant.
The statistics are less murky than you'd have us believe. The vast majority of illegals are NOT paid under the table, they pay all the same taxes that legal workers pay, and they GET LESS in return for them.

Look, one of the primary narratives anti-immigrant posters use is "they are all mixed up in document fraud and ID theft." Well, if they are, it's because they're PAYING TAXES.
 
Old 09-01-2011, 07:37 AM
 
1,574 posts, read 788,884 times
Reputation: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by GimmeMts View Post
The bottom line is that the government is losing tons of money while illegals keep getting things that they are not entitled to. You may not see it as a big deal, but trust me it is. Maybe you'd be mad too if you'd watched your city turn into a giant toilet like mine has. Just saying.
What things are you talking about? Are you suggesting that illegal immigrants using our banks is causing your city to turn into a toilet?
 
Old 09-01-2011, 07:40 AM
 
1,574 posts, read 788,884 times
Reputation: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by VLWH View Post
The fact is that as a whole the illegals and their families cost more in use of public services than they pay in taxes.
Yes, I even provided a link to one of those studies. It was from the most biased source out there, and even they could only come up with a relatively small number for net cost to taxpayers. It was about what the pentagon spends on air conditioning in Iraq. And that's the WORST POSSIBLE CASE. Considering how wrong CIS and FAIR have been in the past, it seems unlikely they're suddenly on the mark in this case.
 
Old 09-01-2011, 07:41 AM
 
Location: Orange County, CA
3,730 posts, read 5,089,357 times
Reputation: 4170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
That state is going down the toilet.
Going?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
The pols running the state are insane. Just keep pandering to the Latino lobby guys.
At times like this have to wonder just who really is in charge, is it Assemblyman Gilbert Cedillo perhaps? "One Bill Gil" and his cholo cronies must be very happy right about now.
 
Old 09-01-2011, 07:41 AM
 
25,060 posts, read 22,106,910 times
Reputation: 11576
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhymetime View Post
The statistics are less murky than you'd have us believe. The vast majority of illegals are NOT paid under the table, they pay all the same taxes that legal workers pay, and they GET LESS in return for them.

Look, one of the primary narratives anti-immigrant posters use is "they are all mixed up in document fraud and ID theft." Well, if they are, it's because they're PAYING TAXES.
Oh really? And how many taxes do people making around minimum wage make, pay to the government?
 
Old 09-01-2011, 08:31 AM
 
Location: San Luis Obispo and Santa Barbara Counties
6,390 posts, read 7,337,232 times
Reputation: 2622
Quote:
The statistics are less murky than you'd have us believe. The vast majority of illegals are NOT paid under the table, they pay all the same taxes that legal workers pay, and they GET LESS in return for them.

Look, one of the primary narratives anti-immigrant posters use is "they are all mixed up in document fraud and ID theft." Well, if they are, it's because they're PAYING TAXES.
Thank you for your factual voice of reason. The anti illegal arguments are based on emotion, not data, kinda sad.

Quote:
Oh really? And how many taxes do people making around minimum wage make, pay to the government?
It is not the dollar amount, it is the simple fact that the so called illegals pay the same taxes and have the same withholdings as you or I. The argument that the illegals take services that they do not pay for is specious. Because their documentation can be fraudulent they actually pay taxes and SS without ever getting that money back. They are doing their part to support the Republican Deficit Reduction Agenda.
 
Old 09-01-2011, 08:52 AM
 
1,574 posts, read 788,884 times
Reputation: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
Thank you for your factual voice of reason. The anti illegal arguments are based on emotion, not data, kinda sad.
Yes, exactly.

Quote:
It is not the dollar amount, it is the simple fact that the so called illegals pay the same taxes and have the same withholdings as you or I. The argument that the illegals take services that they do not pay for is specious. Because their documentation can be fraudulent they actually pay taxes and SS without ever getting that money back. They are doing their part to support the Republican Deficit Reduction Agenda.
Precisely.

It starts out with "they don't pay taxes" (and "they are all document fraudsters") but then you point out that they undeniably ARE paying (and the document fraud in general isn't hurting anyone and only ENABLES their tax paying), and they're effectively paying at a HIGHER RATE than legal workers doing the same work for the same pay, and then it becomes "well they don't pay ENOUGH."

There are a couple of conclusions we can draw from this...
 
Old 09-01-2011, 08:57 AM
 
3,493 posts, read 2,385,436 times
Reputation: 2345
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShoe View Post
Going?


At times like this have to wonder just who really is in charge, is it Assemblyman Gilbert Cedillo perhaps? "One Bill Gil" and his cholo cronies must be very happy right about now.
Cedillo is a nationalist racist. But that's okay for some people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
Thank you for your factual voice of reason. The anti illegal arguments are based on emotion, not data, kinda sad.
No.

The pro-illegal arguments are based emotion not data. The whole argument boils down to why are you are not compassionate for the world's poor? How could you be so selfish? You are a racist! A nationalist! You are ungrateful, monolingual, lazy and do not care about your fellow human beings!

Because there's no other argument you could make that would otherwise allow the world's low skilled high school drop out non-English speakers to come to America, let alone to skip our immigration lines and dip into the public till.

We have a huge recession with massive numbers of Americans out of work and we're still lectured about our innate awfulness because we dare argue that it's not our in collective best interest to invite millions of people who are nothing but a net drag economically.

Quote:
It is not the dollar amount, it is the simple fact that the so called illegals pay the same taxes and have the same withholdings as you or I.
Most illegals are low skilled high school drop outs. They do NOT pay the same taxes as most Americans. People making eight or ten dollars an hour aren't paying all that much in taxes. That describes most illegals whether some people care to admit it or not. Frankly as a member of a high earning household they sure as hell don't pay a tenth of the taxes I do.

Quote:
The argument that the illegals take services that they do not pay for is specious.
No it isn't. They don't pay much in taxes and they use social services they don't pay for. That's simply the truth.

Quote:
Because their documentation can be fraudulent they actually pay taxes and SS without ever getting that money back. They are doing their part to support the Republican Deficit Reduction Agenda.
Many work off the books because they can't work legally.

If some pay social security taxes and aren't eligible for social security the solution is not to give them social security. Social security is designed as a net safety net for Americans not a means for foreigners to come here, work a decade and then go home.

It should be considered a fine for breaking our immigration laws.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top