U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 11:36 AM

1,569 posts, read 1,005,489 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by makossa View Post
You see, there it is right there, illegally! Why do you continue to fail to comprehend this. All the rest of the sob stories and yadda, yadda, yadda mean nothing and are irrelevant. It's spin and has no merit. Her first act in coming here was to break the law by entering illegally.

There really is a bottom line and that is "illegal". Myself, as well as a huge number of my fellow Americans and Legal Immigrants I'm sure, have become immune to these sob stories.

I live in a very diverse neighborhood with many immigrants, rest assured, the legal immigrants are just as appalled about this illegal immigrant situation as us American born. Legals have worked hard to become true Americans, and I find most make a strong effort to learn English and acclimate. Unlike the majority of the Illegal variety.

Deport her.....end of story......she can take her old man and the "anchors" with her.
It must be tough to process, but I actually don't particularly care to look down on people who break laws that I consider unjust.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2011, 01:57 PM

1,574 posts, read 789,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
She's clearly not interested in assimilating. She wants this country to be Mexico but with better economics. If that's not what most Americans want she doesn't care. But she expects Americans to care about her. She clearly expects us to provide her with economic opportunities and probably even to learn Spanish so we can communicate with her.

That is not the sort of person we need here. That's certainly not the sort of person we should grant permission to skip the immigration lines ahead of other people.
Wow, you read a lot into the fact that she uses an interpreter for interviews. You can tell she has no interest in assimilating? She wants YOU to learn spanish???

Quote:
The whole issue is ultimtely simple. We have a commodity people want. We should reserve that commodity for people who can benefit America. That means people who speak English, pay taxes and can employ Americans. If you can't meet those criteria we should make it clear that you should leave. We have no moral or legal obligation to provide anything for people who can't meet such criteria.

Americans are not responsible for meeting every single person's needs, wishes, desires and wants in this world.
I agree, it is simple. You "have a commodity" because you use violence to maintain a monopoly on it.

This "sort of person" (an entrepreneur who is trying to be a productive person) doesn't want you to provide anything. They want you to get the hell out of the way. You cry about other people making demands when they're just minding their own business but you just spelled out a laundry list of demands YOU want met from them.

The person in the article isn't lobbying for handouts or special privledges. She's minding her own business and working and people like YOU got into HER business and then YOU have the nerve to get all huffy and outright fabricate ridiculous stuff like "she probably expects ME to learn SPANISH."

Old 08-30-2011, 05:08 PM

5,906 posts, read 6,354,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmadinejad View Post
It must be tough to process, but I actually don't particularly care to look down on people who break laws that I consider unjust.
I Don't look down on them either. While you think the immigration laws are unjust, but most don't and expect the laws of this land to be enforced.

Old 08-30-2011, 08:42 PM

20,310 posts, read 18,884,971 times
Quote:
On this board I've mentioned that I'm in law school, my rough age has been made available, and I've mentioned working. I don't go around making guesses about, say, a poster's level of education, so you can go ahead and return the favor.

I actually have plenty of compassion for Americans. Exactly the same amount as I have for all other human beings.
Of this I have no doubt. I judge you to be a good person, we simply disagree a lot.

Old 08-31-2011, 02:39 AM

47,576 posts, read 58,711,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
Now you're just being bitter...

Whoops, I forgot you had crossed that line before...
I'm not bitter but I can't stand it when people want something exclusive for themselves but not for their fellow citizens.

Why should there be government rules on who can practice law? Doesn't that make it unfair for others who would like to practice law but legally cannot? Aren't those laws just as unfair when you think about it?

Old 08-31-2011, 07:03 AM

1,609 posts, read 875,244 times
Quote:
and by "right" you mean...they can do it. They can do anything, of course. They can call you a terrorist and lock you up indefinitely right now. I don't care about "rights" (whatever that means), I care about the state interfering with liberty without just cause.
Are you an illegal? What I am hearing in your postings is that you don't seem to understand the basic laws of this country nor the reasons for control of people from foreign countries and the fact that both citizens and foreigners are subject to our Constitution and laws of this country...PERIOD! No exceptions!

Old 08-31-2011, 08:31 AM

32,799 posts, read 30,044,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Back to the excuse its not their fault we have minimum standards?
The system forces nothing.
1. They chose to violate our immigration laws.
2. they chose to use ID theft or fraud.
3. They chose to live a life of crime.
It would be the system fault if we granted them a VISA and then denied them the right to work.
As it stands we dont owe anyone a VISA or entrance into this country.
They can disagree with our policies and that is thier right. They dont have a right to break any of our laws they disagree with any more than does a citizen.
The system forced nothing.
The biggest difference between this civil crime and many like jay walking is the amount of scheming, planning and conniving. It is planned for days, months or years with money being saved up in advance. This is no whim or accident.

Old 08-31-2011, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Why should there be government rules on who can practice law? Doesn't that make it unfair for others who would like to practice law but legally cannot? Aren't those laws just as unfair when you think about it?
It depends on if they apply equally to all people or not.

Do the rules that specify who can practice law exclude people based on who their parents are or where they were born? Or are the tasks one has to complete to qualify the same for all people?

Old 08-31-2011, 12:09 PM

20,310 posts, read 18,884,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhymetime View Post
It depends on if they apply equally to all people or not.

Do the rules that specify who can practice law exclude people based on who their parents are or where they were born? Or are the tasks one has to complete to qualify the same for all people?
Having filled out way too many applications I can honestly say no where was their a disqualification based on where you were born or who your parents were.
From what I can understand in the process much depends upon your abilityto demonstrate that you can financially afford to immigrate to this country.
Tourist VISA's require the same and also that you have a reason to return to your nation of origin when your VISA expires. Not at all unreasonable.
What is unreasonable is that anyone would expect us to accept anyone and everyone that applies. We quite simply cant absorb 10's of millions of immigrants a year which would happen.

Old 08-31-2011, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Having filled out way too many applications I can honestly say no where was their a disqualification based on where you were born or who your parents were.
I'm talking more about arguments about citizenship than immigration specifically.

Quote:
From what I can understand in the process much depends upon your abilityto demonstrate that you can financially afford to immigrate to this country.
Which just happens to be correlated with other factors...

Seriously, I think it would be interesting if states and even cities did something similar. Want to move to "our" state? You better be rich! Poor people just stay where you are. I think this has been brought up in some other threads and shockingly not many people were interested.

Quote:
What is unreasonable is that anyone would expect us to accept anyone and everyone that applies. We quite simply cant absorb 10's of millions of immigrants a year which would happen.
Yes, this would be the exact argument that states and towns would make. NYC just can't absorb any more people... just the rich ones. I mean, how is it that there aren't 200 million people living in NYC right now if they don't have legal tools to curb the influx?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration