U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2011, 09:27 AM

47,576 posts, read 58,949,633 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmadinejad View Post
Perhaps it is silly to get into a debate about history with people who can hardly comprehend the present, but like, no dudes.

The colonists actually didn't perceive of themselves as being "American" in the sense that we do now. After all, there wasn't really an "America" in most senses, and huge percentages of the population had been born in England. I'm not going to get into nitty gritty details, but it needs to be pointed out that you're just MAKING **** UP. The document says "all men are created equal," and you're sitting there arguing that it doesn't mean that. There's no actual debate here, as usual.
The document also mentions some savages out there on the frontier.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2011, 09:31 AM

1,569 posts, read 1,008,721 times
Well we can just do it like this. Does it apply to blacks?

Old 09-03-2011, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmadinejad View Post
Well we can just do it like this. Does it apply to blacks?
At the time, not completely - I think they were considered 3/4s or something.

And if it didn't apply to the "savages at the frontiers" or to the American blacks, or even to the British and their King, it CERTAINLY didn't mean to include all the people of the third world regions south of the current frontier.

Old 09-03-2011, 09:52 AM

1,574 posts, read 793,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
At the time, not completely - I think they were considered 3/4s or something.

Old 09-03-2011, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
No it's not. The British are human beings and if anything that document seems to be rather anti-British.
Oh, I thought it was about AMERICANS?

Here, let me help you. It talks about particular actions certain british people took that violated HUMAN RIGHTS. They weren't bad actions because the people victimized were AMERICANS. They were bad because the actions victimized HUMAN BEINGS.

Old 09-03-2011, 09:55 AM

And yes, the people who wrote it were themselves flawed human beings. ANd they violated the rights of other human beings. But none of that has anything to do with whether the document is describing Americans specifically or human beings in general.

Old 09-03-2011, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhymetime View Post
Oh, I thought it was about AMERICANS?

Here, let me help you. It talks about particular actions certain british people took that violated HUMAN RIGHTS. They weren't bad actions because the people victimized were AMERICANS. They were bad because the actions victimized HUMAN BEINGS.
Actually not. They were the people of the 13 colonies, they didn't see themselves yet as Americans, they were only loosely banded together colonies at that time.

The Declaration of Independence was only for the people of the new country being created starting with the 13 colonies.

Old 09-03-2011, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhymetime View Post
And yes, the people who wrote it were themselves flawed human beings. ANd they violated the rights of other human beings. But none of that has anything to do with whether the document is describing Americans specifically or human beings in general.
Actually that whole "all men were created equal" had nothing to do with illegal aliens, it refers to something in the bible, that in God's eyes, all men are created equal. It never meant that the government was to make them all equal or force equality.

And it doesn't stop Mexicans and other illegals from using their own natural rights to change their own countries.

It was NEVER at any time about some unlimited illegal immigration policy. Never.

Old 09-03-2011, 09:59 AM

1,569 posts, read 1,008,721 times
I can't wait to get more historical insights from you, malamute. Tell us about the 3/4ths compromise!

Old 09-03-2011, 10:04 AM

This is fascinating stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration