U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 09:13 PM

1,569 posts, read 491,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeRider View Post
Normative discussions do include policy ideas, and how to implement what should be, right? That's what I've been asking you.

I'm not trying to be argumentative. I'm trying to navigate your thinking here.
OK? I mean, if we're talking about actual legislation, then it'd probably be some watered down BS bill that I don't really think will do much anyway, because all that Congress is capable of doing is passing watered down BS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2011, 09:22 PM

20 posts, read 5,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmadinejad View Post
OK? I mean, if we're talking about actual legislation, then it'd probably be some watered down BS bill that I don't really think will do much anyway, because all that Congress is capable of doing is passing watered down BS.
Not current legislation per se, but ideal legislation and how it would come about. What are your plans to achieve this vision of yours?

Look, a normative discussion is really quite useless unless your able to take these concepts to the next level. And so far, you've really not been able to do this.

So I'm asking again. How would you implement your ideal vision (ie: having an open border policy)?

Old 08-30-2011, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Look, a normative discussion is really quite useless unless your able to take these concepts to the next level.
It's really, really not.

BTW I no longer even know what you're asking. You just said IDEAL legislation, but then you are talking about how normative discussions are totally useless.

Old 08-30-2011, 09:32 PM

Quote:
It's really, really not.
Well then, I'll gladly concede to your open border policy provided that all the right elements are captured within it's framework.

Let's agree on your ideal open border policy provided that the right ingredients are formulated. Now, convince me how you will achieve this vision of yours.

That's really what I've been asking over the last 4 or 5 posts or so.

Old 08-30-2011, 09:40 PM

Probably throw in some stuff to placate populists. Like a section forbidding the use of certain welfare by immigrants. Then maybe stuff it into the defense budget somehow and call everyone who votes against it traitors. Run targeted ads in borders states being like "Senator So and So hates immigrants and wants to derpive the troops of body armor" and then run the same ads in other states without the immigrant thing.

Old 08-30-2011, 09:48 PM

Quote:
BTW I no longer even know what you're asking. You just said IDEAL legislation, but then you are talking about how normative discussions are totally useless.
The reason I say "useless" is that your ideal vision (I'll use that term loosely here) is rather difficult to evaluate without knowing how you'll go about achieving it.

Old 08-30-2011, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Probably throw in some stuff to placate populists. Like a section forbidding the use of certain welfare by immigrants. Then maybe stuff it into the defense budget somehow and call everyone who votes against it traitors. Run targeted ads in borders states being like "Senator So and So hates immigrants and wants to derpive the troops of body armor" and then run the same ads in other states without the immigrant thing.
LOL...so you want to be a politician do you?

Really, how would you implement these ideal concepts of yours?

Old 08-30-2011, 10:12 PM

5,305 posts, read 1,845,303 times
Quote:
LOL...so you want to be a politician do you?

Really, how would you implement these ideal concepts of yours?
Iīm more hoping he will use that brilliant mind to first become an immigration lawyer...

But itīs his choice...

Old 08-30-2011, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
Iīm more hoping he will use that brilliant mind to first become an immigration lawyer...

But itīs his choice...
After reading through some of the posts here, I haven't found a clear open border policy articulated that will work. At least not with regards to our current welfare policies, the conditioning of our populace with entitlements and of course the consequences of fiscal debt to meet those demands.

Having an open border welfare state is really not feasible in my view.

The other item that will obviously need to be evaluated is current affirmative action programs for the protected classes migrating in. Those policies will be very difficult to abandon, even after having achieved their original legislative goals.

Old 08-30-2011, 11:27 PM

5,305 posts, read 1,845,303 times
Quote:
After reading through some of the posts here, I haven't found a clear open border policy articulated that will work...
Maybe it isn't about "open borders"...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration