U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 10:00 AM

1,574 posts, read 789,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Not only that but Americans are obligated to pay for these illegal's social costs through our taxes. We don't get a say in how our taxes are spent.
Oh, but you DO get a say in setting immigration policy? I mean, it's one or the other here - as it stands, this argument makes no sense at all. If paying the social costs is really your concern, why not advocate for reforming the social safety nets?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2011, 10:06 AM

10,032 posts, read 6,860,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhymetime View Post
I agree that you have no obligation to others. But that doesn't give you a license to interfere with other people and prevent them from working, nor does it mean you have a right to get in my business and tell me who I can hire.

If you don't want to pay for them, then I suggest you stop doing it. Not interfere with other people's private transactions.

I see you feel that businesses should be able to hire anyone that they want without interference from the government. I'm sure you feel the same way about affirmative action. If I own a business and I want to reject every minority who applies and only hire white people that's fine with you- correct?

Last edited by Rick Roma; 08-29-2011 at 10:23 AM..

Old 08-29-2011, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
I see you feel that businesses should be able to hire anyone that they want without interference from the government. I'm sure you feel the same way about affirmative action. If I own a business and I only want to reject every minority who applies and only hire white people that's fine with you- correct?
I wouldn't say it's "fine" with me, but I'm not in favor of using force to stop you from doing that.

There is a lot of speech that I don't approve of but I support people's freedom to express themselves.

Likewise, I support freedom of association even if I don't necessarily approve of every person's choices there, either.

Old 08-29-2011, 10:15 AM

9,243 posts, read 7,099,270 times
Quote:
Oh, but you DO get a say in setting immigration policy? I mean, it's one or the other here - as it stands, this argument makes no sense at all. If paying the social costs is really your concern, why not advocate for reforming the social safety nets?
Why can't we advocate to send them home?

Old 08-29-2011, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Well you can, I'm just pointing out that if the complaint is the taxpayer cost there are better remedies, but people tend to ignore them, which makes it appear that their real motivations are different than their stated motivations.

Old 08-29-2011, 11:22 AM

14,307 posts, read 11,149,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Exactly, and we do advocate for removing any benefits for illegal aliens but it is going to be an uphill battle. The laws state we must educate everyone in our country regardless of their status here. The laws state that newborn's of illegal aliens are citizens and therefore are entitled to all kinds of welfare benefits. The pro-illegals are the bigggest defenders of these laws that rape our nation's tax coffers. They make suggestions that we try and change these laws but fight us tooth and nail for trying to.

Old 08-29-2011, 12:13 PM

10,946 posts, read 7,977,821 times
Quote:
In thruth, we get no say in how our taxes are spent. The bought and paid for politicans have the say, an incline toward whoever offers to keep them in power.

Once again, your reasoning fails.

Old 08-29-2011, 04:49 PM

25,345 posts, read 16,290,366 times
Quote:
Yeah, those black people drinking out of the wrong water fountain were CRIMINALS. PERIOD. NUFF SAID.
So, you are comparing blacks, who were discriminated against because of their race, and who truely were owned property, with those that choose to be criminals? What do you have against black people? What other criminals do you choose to equate to blacks? Rapists? Murders? Burglars?

Old 08-29-2011, 06:17 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,238,051 times
That New Your Time artical is, well, I dont wanna say how I REALY feel cause I may get a Infraction.

Old 08-29-2011, 07:51 PM

3,493 posts, read 2,385,999 times
That was perhaps the single stupidest editorial the Times has ever run. A truly offensive series of analogies that offends anyone with a brain. Slaves were brought here against their permission. Illegals have come here voluntarily. They are not entitled to anything.

Carlos Slim (an extremely rich Mexican national and the guy who lent the Times a lot of money) really gets his money's worth from their editorial staff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration