U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-30-2011, 12:54 PM

1,569 posts, read 515,097 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid Reigns View Post
Why should I question "all laws", when the only laws that I question are the ones that I do not concur with
How would you know whether you concur with a law or not if you have not first questioned it?
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2011, 01:11 PM

2,477 posts, read 830,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmadinejad View Post
How would you know whether you concur with a law or not if you have not first questioned it?
That would be for new laws, what of the laws passed prior to knowing what laws were, like the ones made prior to a basic understanding of law, or even those passed prior to ones birth, which there are many laws still in effect which many of us grew up simply accepting?

Old 08-30-2011, 01:16 PM

1,569 posts, read 515,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid Reigns View Post
That would be for new laws, what of the laws passed prior to knowing what laws were, like the ones made prior to a basic understanding of law, or even those passed prior to ones birth, which there are many laws still in effect which many of us grew up simply accepting?
Um, we should question them, too, obviously.

Old 08-30-2011, 01:45 PM

873 posts, read 396,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
Oh really, tell that to the idiot contractor that did work on my home last year, a huge huge remodeling project.

He bid too low on my project way too low, his fault not mine.

To save a buck, he hired illegal painters, carpenters, roofers, wallboard, electricians need i go on. Until i figured out what was going on, an illegal himself i mention this in another thread, told me how much he makes, and it is not peanuts. Maybe a bit less, but the contractor is also not paying taxes, nice ha. Give me a break, the illegal himself told me, that they have a easy life here, as long as Americans will keep on hiring them.

They do not all do jobs Americans will not due, i know some illegals who have pretty good jobs. A guy that does tile work and woodworking, he makes very good money, but again, pays no taxes, he has told me so. When i realized what the contractor was doing, wanted to see everyone's legal papers, the contractor and i had a bit of a problem. He knew from that point, the guys all had to go, and guess what they went, i did not want them doing work on my home. They painted like crap, could not for the life of them put wallboard on straight, their tile worked sucked, he had to bring all new guyes in that were citizens, or his butt was on the line. I had already made phone calls. Got all new guys, and yes they were citizens, but from that point on me and the contrator, did not see eye to eye. Actually he found out that my hubby and I knew more about remodeling then he did.
And you grabbed that low bid gleefully. Didn't you? Be honest. If you got more than 2 or 3 quotes, you had to have an idea of the real cost. You thought you were getting a helluva deal, and didn't care about the details.

Old 08-30-2011, 02:20 PM

17,423 posts, read 14,070,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneWest View Post
And you grabbed that low bid gleefully. Didn't you? Be honest. If you got more than 2 or 3 quotes, you had to have an idea of the real cost. You thought you were getting a helluva deal, and didn't care about the details.
Why would some average citizen know what was a "deal"? Most people don't ever remodel and if they do it's once in a lifetime.

If they got multiple quotes and all were close how would a person know? they aren't in the industry.

Last edited by 1AngryTaxPayer; 08-30-2011 at 02:52 PM.. Reason: wrong word in a hurry

Old 08-30-2011, 02:37 PM

873 posts, read 396,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Why would some average citizen know what was a "deal"? Most people don't ever remodel and if they do it's once in a lifetime.

If they got multiple remodels and all were close how would a person know? they aren't in the industry.
What? You'd decide on a huge project and grab the first contractor who wandered by? Without doing any research? Checking the BBB? Getting references?

That's just... naively stupid.

Old 08-30-2011, 02:41 PM

1,574 posts, read 261,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
So are we getting to the crux of your arguement? That we should have no control over our borders? No decision in who comes into this country? Do you offer the same courtsey on your property? Do you leave your doors open for every random person walking by? I'm sure there are people that would like your warm bed to sleep in. Do you encourage them to take your property, while you get nothing in return? Once these people are in your home, do you offer to feed them, educate them and pay their medical expenses, while they sit on your couch and watch your TV? If you as an individual aren't willling to do this, why would we as a country?

If people are willing to violate our immigration laws, why would anyone expect them to have any more respect for any of our other laws?
The US is not your house. People try this stupid analogy all the time and we've explained over and over again why it's faulty (not that it should even need explaining).

There's no hypocrisy between wanting control of your personal property and simultaneously wanting immigration reform.

Old 08-30-2011, 02:42 PM

1,574 posts, read 261,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post

If they got multiple remodels and all were close how would a person know? they aren't in the industry.
Did you read the post you were replying to? When people are spending that much money they get multiple quotes. If one is way out of line with the others it should be a red flag.

Old 08-30-2011, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhymetime View Post
Did you read the post you were replying to? When people are spending that much money they get multiple quotes. If one is way out of line with the others it should be a red flag.
I meant "quotes" not remodels. If they are all close together you don't know. I've had this happen.

I did get the satisfaction of telling them to pack it out.

Old 08-30-2011, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneWest View Post
What? You'd decide on a huge project and grab the first contractor who wandered by? Without doing any research? Checking the BBB? Getting references?

That's just... naively stupid.
As just stated, I meant quotes. I've even had a good quote turn bad from HD as the sub hired a bunch of illegals. All of the quotes were really close.

What I do now is go with local references. No more of that day labor on the way to the job by a sub from HD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration