Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 07:44 PM

20 posts, read 15,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmadinejad View Post
No...but sure, courts could effectively do so, for example.
And you believe this is prudent to do under the current state of our immigration affairs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2011, 07:50 PM

1,569 posts, read 1,210,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeRider View Post
And you believe this is prudent to do under the current state of our immigration affairs?
I think our current state of affairs is indicative of a broken system that has been unwilling to accept the realities of the flow of capital in the modern era.

Old 08-30-2011, 08:06 PM

Quote:
I think our current state of affairs is indicative of a broken system that has been unwilling to accept the realities of the flow of capital in the modern era.
I don't doubt many parts of our system are broken...and perhaps on many levels. However, I really don't see how advocating unilaterally for open borders will be compatible with our current welfare entitlement system. The two ideas are really foreign to each other within a free capitalist society.

Have you considered how these two polarizing forces will work in harmony?

Old 08-30-2011, 08:13 PM

Quote:
I don't doubt many parts of our system are broken...and perhaps on many levels. However, I really don't see how advocating unilaterally for open borders will be compatible with our current welfare entitlement system. The two ideas are really foreign to each other within a free capitalist society.

Have you considered how these two polarizing forces will work in harmony?
You can always change both of them.

Old 08-30-2011, 08:19 PM

Quote:
You can always change both of them.
Well of course. How are you planning to do it?

Old 08-30-2011, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Well of course. How are you planning to do it?
I mean, there are tons of options. Aid to the poor is not a massive chunk of our budget. We don't have to give welfare to anyone. We could make new immigrants ineligible. We could, I don't know, save some money by easing up on the endless extremely expensive wars.

Old 08-30-2011, 09:04 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,658,365 times
Quote:
I mean, there are tons of options. Aid to the poor is not a massive chunk of our budget. We don't have to give welfare to anyone. We could make new immigrants ineligible. We could, I don't know, save some money by easing up on the endless extremely expensive wars.
And without all the welfare, the illegals will be sitting on our sidewalks selling chicklets with their young children, toddlers, and infants. Is that what you want to have? Or even begging for handouts. They cannot make here if they were to have to pay their own hospital bills and buy their own groceries.

Old 08-30-2011, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Yes, but how are you going to legislate your ideas? You'll need both Congress and the voters on board to achieve these goals.

You really have not thought this position through, have you?

IOW, the very immigrants whom you want to legalize are the very ones who will be voting against eliminating those very policies that brought them here.

You do see this, right?

Old 08-30-2011, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Yes, but how are you going to legislate your ideas? You'll need both Congress and the voters on board to achieve these goals.

You really have not thought this position through, have you?
lol. I have a degree in politics and policy. I know how legislation works and stuff like that dontchaknow. No need to get all...whatever this is.

I'm not talking about the process of reform, we're still talking normatively. I do not particularly feel like discussing how I'll personally talk Mitch McConnell into supporting my ideas and then navigate the reconciliation process or whatever.

Old 08-30-2011, 09:11 PM

Quote:
lol. I have a degree in politics and policy. I know how legislation works and stuff like that dontchaknow. No need to get all...whatever this is.

I'm not talking about the process of reform, we're still talking normatively. I do not particularly feel like discussing how I'll personally talk Mitch McConnell into supporting my ideas.
Normative discussions do include policy ideas, and how to implement what should be, right? That's what I've been asking you.

I'm not trying to be argumentative. I'm trying to navigate your thinking here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration