U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-29-2011, 01:45 PM
 
9,243 posts, read 7,099,270 times
Reputation: 2199

Advertisements

How is enforcing the laws unconstitutional?

The constitution doesn't say we should have an open border.

Where is congress???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-29-2011, 02:05 PM
 
Location: The Triad (NC)
26,853 posts, read 57,874,473 times
Reputation: 29266
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
The constitution doesn't say we should have an open border.
Actually, the Constitution doesn't address the border.

But to the vague degree that the Constitution does address the matter at all...
it's pretty damned accommodating once they've gotten here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2011, 02:10 PM
 
9,243 posts, read 7,099,270 times
Reputation: 2199
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Actually, the Constitution doesn't address the border.

But to the vague degree that the Constitution does address the matter at all...
it's pretty damned accommodating once they've gotten here.
So why are illegals saying its unconstitutional if its not address?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2011, 02:28 PM
 
Location: #
9,605 posts, read 14,276,273 times
Reputation: 6260
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
So why are illegals saying its unconstitutional if its not address?
This is the thing so many people don't seem to get. It isn't so much the law is unconstitutional to illegals as it is unconstitutional to legal residents of the United States.

My wife and I (she's Mexican-American, I'm white) should NOT have to drive in fear of being pulled over by police for no reason. Conservatives, who constantly claim they are for less government intrusion conveniently ignore how intrusive this law can be to those that were born here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2011, 02:52 PM
 
4,828 posts, read 6,791,262 times
Reputation: 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
How is enforcing the laws unconstitutional?

The constitution doesn't say we should have an open border.

Where is congress???
I'm guessing you know the constitution better than a federal judge right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2011, 03:12 PM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,149,569 times
Reputation: 2130
I wonder how long before a final ruling is made? These things tend to hang in our court systems forever. Still waiting for a ruling on sb1070. I think it is just delay tactics waiting for another blanket amnesty to occur. We have already seen a partial one recently for 300,000 illegal aliens. I am beginning to think that our judges and politicans are in cohoots when it comes to non-enforcement of our immigration laws.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2011, 03:24 PM
 
Location: California
2,477 posts, read 1,712,131 times
Reputation: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
This is the thing so many people don't seem to get. It isn't so much the law is unconstitutional to illegals as it is unconstitutional to legal residents of the United States. You haven't shown it to be unconstitutional, you are merely claiming it is.

My wife and I (she's Mexican-American, I'm white) should NOT have to drive in fear of being pulled over by police for no reason. Conservatives, who constantly claim they are for less government intrusion conveniently ignore how intrusive this law can be to those that were born here.
You seem to be making assertions about a proposed law, which you believe would allow police to pull your wife over for nothing other than being what you claim, Mexican-American. Your claims are nothing but tired rhetoric, as an officer must have a reason to pull you over to begin with, without that there is no reason to stop (her, you/her). If she violates a traffic law while driving, shouldn't she be pulled over? or is she suppose to be allowed to violate the traffic law because she is Mexican-American? If you are together and you are driving and violating a traffic law, shouldn't you be pulled over? You are aware that the officer does have the ability to ask for ID on all passengers when someone is pulled over, if she has ID, what is the problem?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2011, 03:33 PM
 
Location: New Hampshire
4,827 posts, read 4,647,268 times
Reputation: 3583
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
I'm guessing you know the constitution better than a federal judge right?
What is your point?

Our POTUS probably knows the Constitution....and is he enforcing it? Is he enforcing our laws to the core?

I don't think so.

One's knowledge of laws doesn't guarantee they will enforce it or even follow it. Nowadays it is very "pick and choose". It is almost like a Law Buffet; you pick the laws your what you want to enforce and just ignore the ones you don't like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2011, 03:37 PM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,149,569 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid Reigns View Post
You seem to be making assertions about a proposed law, which you believe would allow police to pull your wife over for nothing other than being what you claim, Mexican-American. Your claims are nothing but tired rhetoric, as an officer must have a reason to pull you over to begin with, without that there is no reason to stop (her, you/her). If she violates a traffic law while driving, shouldn't she be pulled over? or is she suppose to be allowed to violate the traffic law because she is Mexican-American? If you are together and you are driving and violating a traffic law, shouldn't you be pulled over? You are aware that the officer does have the ability to ask for ID on all passengers when someone is pulled over, if she has ID, what is the problem?
There is no problem. We all know that. Most people who claim racial/ethnic profiling do so not because it is actually happening 99.9% of the time but because they are sympathizers to illegal aliens and want to protect them from detection.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2011, 08:21 AM
 
1,569 posts, read 1,005,489 times
Reputation: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
I wonder how long before a final ruling is made?
The kinds of questions that could only be answered by reading the whole article. Always perplexing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top