U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 03:32 PM

4,828 posts, read 6,791,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
sorry I didn't realize he has never spoken to his uncle, I assumed it connects to his stark resistance to illegal immagration laws, I don't believe it should effect the election, but it will.
But it does raise the question if he respects the law if his family does't.
It won't affect anything. His opponents tried to make his aunt being here illegally an issue during the 2008 elections but he still won. When will the GOP realize that immigration doesn't play an important role for most non-Latino voters( it does with Latino voters though)? So they try to act all tough and unreasonable on the issue, but it doesn't translate into votes for them from the electorate and additionally, they lose the Latino vote in the process.

Last edited by blacknight04; 08-30-2011 at 03:58 PM..

Old 08-30-2011, 03:46 PM

20,310 posts, read 18,884,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
It won't affect anything. His opponents try to make his aunt being here illegally an issue during the 2008 elections but he still won. When will the GOP realize that immigration doesn't play an important role for most non-Latino voters( it does with Latino voters though)? So they try to act all tough and unreasonable on the issue, but it doesn't translate into votes for them from the electorate and additionally, they lose the Latino vote in the process.
60+ % of americans are against illegal immigration.
70% are against an amnesty for illegals.
In 08 unemployment was lower and Obama had yet to fail in delivering on his promises.
In 08 Obama's aunt had not yet been given her free pass. This will be more of an issue this time around.
What will save Obama isn't his successes but the fact the GOP is struggling to find a viable candidate.

Old 08-30-2011, 03:51 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,149,569 times
Quote:
It won't affect anything. His opponents try to make his aunt being here illegally an issue during the 2008 elections but he still won. When will the GOP realize that immigration doesn't play an important role for most non-Latino voters( it does with Latino voters though)? So they try to act all tough and unreasonable on the issue, but it doesn't translate into votes for them from the electorate and additionally, they lose the Latino vote in the process.
Please enlighten us why the Latino vote doesn't go to the GOP for wanting our our immigation laws enforced. How is that being tough and unreasonable?

I believe that illegal immigration is seen more and more of a problem to the majority of Americans regardless of what party they are affiliated with. A candidate advocating for amnesty in today's economy and unemployment will not appeal to most voters this time around.

Old 08-30-2011, 04:02 PM

4,828 posts, read 6,791,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
60+ % of americans are against illegal immigration.
70% are against an amnesty for illegals.
In 08 unemployment was lower and Obama had yet to fail in delivering on his promises.
In 08 Obama's aunt had not yet been given her free pass. This will be more of an issue this time around.
What will save Obama isn't his successes but the fact the GOP is struggling to find a viable candidate.
I can post numerous polls that show that most Americans support CIR. I just don't see Obama's aunt or uncle affecting anything in the 2012 elections.

Old 08-30-2011, 04:15 PM

Quote:
I can post numerous polls that show that most Americans support CIR. I just don't see Obama's aunt or uncle affecting anything in the 2012 elections.
The fact he is president puts him and his family in the spot light. We cant chose our family but we can be tarnished by them. What the opposition can bring into doubt is Obama's ability to be neutral or put the nations interests before his own family. The argument can be made that the reason Obama's admin is so pro-illegal is the fact that he has family members who are illegals. Its not much of a stretch.

Old 08-30-2011, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Keep in mind in 2010 NE Pa historically a dmocrat strong hold voted Barletta into office over long time Dem Kanjorski. A big part of that win was due to Bareltta taking a stand against illegal immigration.

Old 08-30-2011, 04:21 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,149,569 times
Quote:
And I can and others in here can post numerous polls indicating the exact opposite if that CIR includes amnesty.

Old 08-30-2011, 06:02 PM

1,574 posts, read 789,250 times
Quote:
We cant chose our family but we can be tarnished by them.
Yeah, but the only people who think this "tarnishes" obama already weren't going to vote for him. This has zero impact on the election.

Old 08-30-2011, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhymetime View Post
Yeah, but the only people who think this "tarnishes" obama already weren't going to vote for him. This has zero impact on the election.
This was obviously true in 2008. Unfortunately for the President he has failed to deliver on so many of his promises even when he enjoyed a stacked deck. His greatest advantage as it stands today is a weak GOP.

Old 08-30-2011, 06:25 PM

1,574 posts, read 789,250 times
Quote:
This was obviously true in 2008. Unfortunately for the President he has failed to deliver on so many of his promises even when he enjoyed a stacked deck. His greatest advantage as it stands today is a weak GOP.
I'm not saying he's going to win, I'm just saying this one issue is not going to sway anyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or