Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2011, 11:20 AM

1,574 posts, read 1,019,165 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
I don't have a problem with legal immigration from anywhere nor do most of us Americans.
Oh really?

Quote:
I agree. Time to end wet foot/dry foot. Cubans haven't assimilated very well either, IMO.

Old 09-02-2011, 11:25 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,668,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhymetime View Post
Yeah. Then they were mostly white (of course, at the time, English didn't consider Irish to be "white").
There are white Hispanics.

You fail to see the difference.

Old 09-02-2011, 11:32 AM

1,574 posts, read 1,019,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
There are white Hispanics.
That doesn't change anything.

Old 09-02-2011, 11:39 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,668,081 times
Quote:
What are you talking about?

Old 09-02-2011, 08:35 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
It certainly changes your continual racist arguments for unlimited illegal immigration. And also the fact that "hispanic" isn't a race at all.

Old 09-02-2011, 10:05 PM

888 posts, read 886,775 times
Quote:
According to the poll well over half of Mexicans believe their land was stolen by the gringo. Many Americans of Mexican descent feel the same way and are passing this attitude on to their kids also.
Ummm... not just Mexicans, but Gringo Americans felt that way too (including 2 former US Presidents)...

But I guess you are not a fan of history...and prefer to propogate misinformation.

US President Ulysses S. Grant, who as a young army lieutenant had served in Mexico under General Taylor, recalled in his Memoirs, published in 1885, that:
Generally, the officers of the army were indifferent whether the annexation was consummated or not; but not so all of them. For myself, I was bitterly opposed to the measure, and to this day regard the war, which resulted, as one of the most unjust ever waged by a stronger against a weaker nation. It was an instance of a republic following the bad example of European monarchies, in not considering justice in their desire to acquire additional territory.(1)

Joshua Giddings led a group of dissenters in Washington D.C. He called the war with Mexico "an aggressive, unholy, and unjust war," and voted against supplying soldiers and weapons. He said:
In the murder of Mexicans upon their own soil, or in robbing them of their country, I can take no part either now or here-after. The guilt of these crimes must rest on others. I will not participate in them.(2)
Fellow Whig Abraham Lincoln contested the causes for the war and demanded to know exactly where Thornton had been attacked and American blood shed. "Show me the spot," he demanded.

Whig leader Robert Toombs of Georgia declared:
This war is nondescript .... We charge the President with usurping the war-making power ... with seizing a country ... which had been for centuries, and was then in the possession of the Mexicans .... Let us put a check upon this lust of dominion. We had territory enough, Heaven knew.(3)
(1)"Ulysses S Grant Quotes on the Military Academy and the Mexican War". Fadedgiant.net. http://www.fadedgiant.net/html/grant_ulysses_s_quotes_west_po.htm.
(2)Giddings,Joshua Reed, Speeches in Congress [1841–1852], J.P. Jewett and Company, 1853, p.17
(3) Beveridge 1:417.

Old 09-02-2011, 10:20 PM

888 posts, read 886,775 times
Quote:
Cubans haven't assimilated very well either, IMO
We do not want to assimilate.
Cubans in Miami have a choice.
The US culture has plenty of negative aspects that should not be assimilated.
What are you going to do about it chicagonut?
This is a free country.
I do not have to assimilate if I do not want to.
But you could try and *make* me assimilate.
I'd love to see you come down here and try that

Old 09-02-2011, 11:04 PM

3,727 posts, read 6,223,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
The thing that you guys are forgetting is that even a few hundred people could cause significant problems.
Quite so. I brought this up in an earlier thread, but if just 1% of the Latino illegals actually took to the streets in an insurrection, that would amount to a force of at least 100,000. Add to that thousands more US citizen Hispanic sympathizers, plus several thousand more gang bangers that would join in to loot, and that would be a force to be reckoned with, perhaps as many as a quarter of a million. Unlikely to happen, but not impossible either. If such a thing ever did happen, they would be crushed, first by armed citizens, and then by troops, but they would inflict a great loss of life and property before being defeated. What the hotheads rattling the sabers have failed to plan for are the logistics of a successful insurrection. A sustained campaign requires a constant reliable source of food, water, ammunition, transport, medical care, etc. Looting a few stores and warehouses along the way is not going to do it, but these jerks have not thought of that.

Old 09-03-2011, 02:10 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynwood View Post
This is a free country.
I wonder why the immigrants don't consider the "negative aspects" before arriving here?

Why do they bypass the over 20 countries with hispanic cultures and seem to want to only come to the USA with the culture they claim is so negative? Why leave your own country to live in one with a culture you are so reluctant to assimilate with?

Cubans in Miami certainly do have a choice, one choice was to stay in their own country with it's culture. Culture is what makes a country work (or fail).

Old 09-03-2011, 07:16 AM

3,727 posts, read 6,223,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynwood View Post
This is a free country.
Sounds as if you really miss Fidel. With your anti American attitude you are not wanted or needed here. You would do much better in Cuba. When you arrive back in Havana be sure to be wearing your best Che T-shirt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration