U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-04-2011, 09:54 AM
 
Location: Murika
2,526 posts, read 2,503,654 times
Reputation: 1911

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
No surprise there....just another slap in the face to legal California taxpayers and student's families who have paid taxes for years. I would move to Canada but they require financial proof, as do other countries, so as not to suck the life out of their citizens health care and educational systems.
So does the US. Your problem is that you would enter Canada LEGALLY! If you did it illegally, you wouldn't need to show any financial proof, either.

Really, it's a shame. I was in the US (and specifically California) as a foreign student for many years. Nobody allowed me to pay in-state tuition even after I had lived there for years because I had managed to follow the rules and enter legally. Guess I should have sneaked across the border and saved myself a bunch of money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-04-2011, 10:43 AM
 
Location: California
4,445 posts, read 5,172,548 times
Reputation: 9180
Like I said, it is just another slap in the face to the legal CA taxpayers.

Years ago when I applied for financial aid I was denied because I was a total of $50 over the anual limit. What a joke. I always paid my own way and worked two jobs when I needed more as I took pride in my own accomplishments.

So you think you should have sneaked across the border? Today, you can look at yourself in the mirror with pride and know that making the right decisions reflects on your good character. The way you do anything, is the way you do everything. This is why it isn't even really about the money the government provides to the illegals but the fact that they are bringing a total contempt (including gang culture) for our way of life and our laws to this country. They won't even stay home to fix their own problelms!

If you try to bring a legal action in this country, the doctrine of clean hands may come into play. Meaning, if you involved in wrong behavior like the person you want to sue, then you are just as guilty. If the police conduct an illegal search then everything they find is "tanted" evidence because the law was not followed. So, why do our basic laws not apply equally to everyone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2011, 10:47 AM
 
3,493 posts, read 2,386,453 times
Reputation: 2345
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
No they don't. If the labor pool was limited, employers would have to offer better wages and job benefits to lure employees, wages would naturally rise that way, that results in fewer poor people.

Without over 30 million low wage foreigners here, 30 million more Americans would have jobs - more jobs means fewer poor people. Unemployed urban youth would have a chance to break out of the cycle of poverty, they just need jobs for that, rural poor would have more work, that means less poverty.

The USA once had a strong middle class but most of the poverty is imported. Bringing in unlimited numbers of third world types who breed irresponsibly, have many children they can never feed is not helping our country.

Notice that when Mexico got rid of many of it's illiterate impoverished classes, it began doing much better, it's middle class is actually growing. You don't see these countries trying to get these people back -- think about it.
Exactly. Why no demands on Mexico? Why only the demands on Americans? How is that fair? Where are the calls for Mexicans to open THEIR borders? Where are the cries of racism when they don't?

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
But THIS is about a free taxpayer provided ride to illegals and this is the illegal alien forum.

Exactly WHY must Americans or even just those in California provide illegals anything?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2011, 11:55 AM
 
1,574 posts, read 789,566 times
Reputation: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
Exactly. Why no demands on Mexico? Why only the demands on Americans? How is that fair? Where are the calls for Mexicans to open THEIR borders? Where are the cries of racism when they don't?
Wait, let's be clear here, your argument is "well yeah, mexico does it too!!"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2011, 06:22 PM
 
6,156 posts, read 3,986,111 times
Reputation: 1511
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhymetime View Post
What are you talking about? The pro-immigration argument is that these people should be legal, in which case more of them are likely to properly pay their taxes. Most of them already pay, FWIW.
Oh okay. You just want to reward them for years of tax evasion. And encourage millions more to spill over the border (and evade more taxes) knowing that some scumbag politician will grant them amnesty for votes in a couple years.

Got it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2011, 06:31 PM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,152,437 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
Oh okay. You just want to reward them for years of tax evasion. And encourage millions more to spill over the border (and evade more taxes) knowing that some scumbag politician will grant them amnesty for votes in a couple years.

Got it.
Again, I wonder how many times it has to be repeated in here that we don't have the jobs and resouces to allow these illegals to stay here and become legalized and we certainly don't need to allow more of them in. Wonder why they keep evading that and keep spouting "well the solution is to legalize them" over and over and over?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2011, 12:05 AM
 
6,156 posts, read 3,986,111 times
Reputation: 1511
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Again, I wonder how many times it has to be repeated in here that we don't have the jobs and resouces to allow these illegals to stay here and become legalized and we certainly don't need to allow more of them in. Wonder why they keep evading that and keep spouting "well the solution is to legalize them" over and over and over?
Because liberals are emotional thinkers. They are also hooked on the feeling of moral superiority like it's a drug. They'll do anything for it. Including but not limited to screwing over their own country.

I'm just waiting for the illegals to start taking the high end jobs that the liberals work in. It'll be priceless. God damn hypocrites. Makes me sick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2011, 06:07 AM
 
47,576 posts, read 58,722,338 times
Reputation: 22159
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
Because liberals are emotional thinkers. They are also hooked on the feeling of moral superiority like it's a drug. They'll do anything for it. Including but not limited to screwing over their own country.

I'm just waiting for the illegals to start taking the high end jobs that the liberals work in. It'll be priceless. God damn hypocrites. Makes me sick.
They would never allow that. Not for the liberal elite, they will protect their jobs, but of course they have certainly destroyed those who tended to vote for them, the factory workers and lower income types.

Black unemployment is higher now than it's been for decades, but never mind, the liberals want more more more cheap labor. They want to keep the borders wide open and don't care how many Americans lose jobs and lose their futures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2011, 06:31 AM
 
6,156 posts, read 3,986,111 times
Reputation: 1511
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
They would never allow that. Not for the liberal elite, they will protect their jobs, but of course they have certainly destroyed those who tended to vote for them, the factory workers and lower income types.
I know. They would throw a fit. Because they are complete hypocrites.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Black unemployment is higher now than it's been for decades, but never mind, the liberals want more more more cheap labor. They want to keep the borders wide open and don't care how many Americans lose jobs and lose their futures.
I remember a month or so back there was a thread on here about how crops were dying out in Alabama or Georgia I think, because the farmers could not find workers. It was because of the immigration law, illegals were leaving. So the farmers even started raising wages, desperate to hire Americans.

So the result of the law was job openings and higher wages. Good right? Nope. The libs on here were complaining about how the crops were dying, blaming it on the immigration law. They even went as far as to say that Americans "shouldn't have to do those kinds of jobs" (basically meaning we should leave them to the lowly Mexicans). But we're the racist ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2011, 06:49 AM
 
1,569 posts, read 1,005,771 times
Reputation: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
Because liberals are emotional thinkers. They are also hooked on the feeling of moral superiority like it's a drug. They'll do anything for it. Including but not limited to screwing over their own country.

I'm just waiting for the illegals to start taking the high end jobs that the liberals work in. It'll be priceless. God damn hypocrites. Makes me sick.
lol.

Actually there was recently a study published that noted that feelings regarding immigration are relatively detached from the threat posed to one's job.

Do Concerns about Labour Market Competition Shape Attitudes Toward Immigration? New Evidence from U.S. Workers by Jens Hainmueller, Michael Hiscox, Yotam Margalit :: SSRN
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top