Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 02:36 AM

49 posts, read 72,407 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
Tuition at Cal Poly runs about $23,000 a year

Incarceration at one of our fine penitentiary's runs about $40,000 a year.
I've heard this argument before, but I honestly don't feel it justifies encouraging foreigners to come here and disrespect our laws. That only makes the problem worse. If the state really wants to save money, how about not handing out all those social benefits the illegals don't deserve? Or better yet strengthening the border already, so less of them come here in the first place?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2011, 02:55 AM

49 posts, read 72,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkbatca View Post
I guess I don't get it. When Brown ran for governor, he explicitly said he was going to vote for this. The majority of assembly / senate are Democrats. The majority of California voters put all these people, especially Brown, into office and the majority of Democrats ran on the platform of the Dream act.

Therefore, logically, either the majority of people in California either wanted the Dream act or they are a bunch of retards.
You're forgetting that many people in California are minorities (if I can even use that term anymore, since there are so many of them). Legal citizens or not, they will sympathize with the illegals, because that is who they identify with to some extent. Many also have family or friends who are illegals and/or want to become citizens someday. They want a governor who might help. Others are simply what I refer to as "compassionate hippy types" who see any conservative candidate as the bad guy no matter how much their platform makes logical sense. And if someone speaks out against them strongly enough, the racism card gets played (or at least implied) and yet even more people will vote liberal out of guilt. It doesn't matter how stupid the laws actually are, because people are voting based on their emotions. No offense to anybody reading this, but it's true. Well that's my theory anyway.

Last edited by GimmeMts; 09-01-2011 at 03:14 AM..

Old 09-01-2011, 06:21 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,471,872 times
The majority of the voters in California and all the other states vote the slate put forward by their political party regardless of who's on it. Most are put together by special interests who dump untold millions in the quest to control the outcomes.

After having spent the better part of 20 years working directly in politics and legislation, I'm of the mind that you'll never get rich betting on the collective intelligence or memory of the American electorate.

Old 09-01-2011, 06:37 AM

4,866 posts, read 5,677,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
The majority of the voters in California and all the other states vote the slate put forward by their political party regardless of who's on it. Most are put together by special interests who dump untold millions in the quest to control the outcomes.

After having spent the better part of 20 years working directly in politics and legislation, I'm of the mind that you'll never get rich betting on the collective intelligence or memory of the American electorate.
That is why people need to educate themselves before voting. We need to think about what is best for America and illegal immigration is NOT.

I didn't use to care about Politics in the past. When Obama was running for Presidency I thought he was an inspiring speaker. (I did not vote for him) and I almost bought into his BS...but then I started reading and found out what he was all about and I knew he just wasn't the right candidate to lead this country.

I bet a lot of people got stuck on the "Hope and Change" speech and forgot to educate themselves.

And I bet a lot of people do not do their own research before voting and some put their OWN interests before the laws of this country.

How can someone who is here in VIOLATION OF OUR FEDERAL LAWS be even allowed to go to school? It should be common sense...which a lot of people lack nowadays.

Old 09-01-2011, 07:31 AM

1,574 posts, read 1,018,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GimmeMts View Post
I've heard this argument before, but I honestly don't feel it justifies encouraging foreigners to come here and disrespect our laws. That only makes the problem worse. If the state really wants to save money, how about not handing out all those social benefits the illegals don't deserve? Or better yet strengthening the border already, so less of them come here in the first place?
How about instead of encouraging foreigners to come here and disrespect our laws, we change the laws so they don't have to disrespect them to come here? Then we could encourage them to come here and become productive people.

How horrible would that be? Total nightmare scenario, right? More productive taxpaying members of our society, can you imagine???

Old 09-01-2011, 07:43 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,927,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhymetime View Post
How about instead of encouraging foreigners to come here and disrespect our laws, we change the laws so they don't have to disrespect them to come here? Then we could encourage them to come here and become productive people.

How horrible would that be? Total nightmare scenario, right? More productive taxpaying members of our society, can you imagine???
So what are you proposing?

Old 09-01-2011, 07:43 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,344,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
You do understand that generally minors don't make the family decisions about where to live, don'cha.

And then as our old friend Jesus said, He who is without sin, etc, Well he didn't exactly say etc, but I do hope you know the rest of it.

As for the penitentiary, where do you think young people without a future wind up?

Or conversely, how many architects, physical therapists, doctors, nurses, fire fighters, ship captains are in gangs?

Invoking Jesus? Seriously?

Having a college degree is great and all but how do you propose that these illegals will get a job after graduation without a SSN?

Old 09-01-2011, 07:50 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,316,367 times
Quote:
You're forgetting that many people in California are minorities (if I can even use that term anymore, since there are so many of them). Legal citizens or not, they will sympathize with the illegals, because that is who they identify with to some extent. Many also have family or friends who are illegals and/or want to become citizens someday. They want a governor who might help. Others are simply what I refer to as "compassionate hippy types" who see any conservative candidate as the bad guy no matter how much their platform makes logical sense. And if someone speaks out against them strongly enough, the racism card gets played (or at least implied) and yet even more people will vote liberal out of guilt. It doesn't matter how stupid the laws actually are, because people are voting based on their emotions. No offense to anybody reading this, but it's true. Well that's my theory anyway.
Excellent post. They don't call California the land of the fruits and nuts for nothing. Too many liberals and those with a vested interest in illegals either for cheap labor or ethnic ties. No surprise that California is going down the tubes fast.

Old 09-01-2011, 08:24 AM

6,390 posts, read 9,682,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShoe View Post
How much would a one way bus ride to TJ cost? About three decimal places to the left?
Or, we make good tax paying members of society out of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkbatca View Post
I guess I don't get it. When Brown ran for governor, he explicitly said he was going to vote for this. The majority of assembly / senate are Democrats. The majority of California voters put all these people, especially Brown, into office and the majority of Democrats ran on the platform of the Dream act.

Therefore, logically, either the majority of people in California either wanted the Dream act or they are a bunch of retards.
An excellent point, Californians do not want to visit the sins of the fathers upon the sons, and daughters, seems moral to me.

Quote:
Economics encourage migration to America. Please remember we are talking about the children of those who immigrated here. Please remember too that the "illegals" pay exactly the taxes you do.

Quote:
I don't think your theory holds water, the illegals are here, not because of liberals, but because of the conservative business men who need their labor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhymetime View Post

Our country has been built on immigration, using the terms legal or illegal is just a temporal political position. Blaming "liberals" or "hippies" makes a certain section of the political spectrum, but is not borne out by the facts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
Invoking Jesus? Seriously?

Having a college degree is great and all but how do you propose that these illegals will get a job after graduation without a SSN?
The same way the rest of the undocumented get jobs without SSN, or, we can follow up the Dream Act (which properly should be called, keep the kids out of jail and gangs act) with an inclusion act.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Excellent post. They don't call California the land of the fruits and nuts for nothing. Too many liberals and those with a vested interest in illegals either for cheap labor or ethnic ties. No surprise that California is going down the tubes fast.
You need to understand that "liberals" and those vested in cheap labor are at opposite ends of the spectrum and those vested in cheap labor and opposite ends of the political spectrum.

Anyone who thinks California "is going down the tubes fast", needs to get out more.

Old 09-01-2011, 08:27 AM

3,727 posts, read 6,222,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Excellent post.
Concur, #12 is right on target. White non Hispanics are no longer a majority in California, and white conservatives are even more of a minority. The other ethnic groups; blacks, Hispanics, and Asians, usually have far left political ideology and the entitlement and racial and class warfare mindset that goes with it. When combined with white liberals this is now a dominent voting bloc that controls state politics. Very briefly, this is why California has such huge problems, and why issues such as illegal immigration are ignored and even encouraged and will never be resolved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration