Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2011, 07:22 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,310,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
If it isn´t ¨so terrible¨ you would then support all fifty states having everyone renew their driver´s licenses every year?...
I would disagree with that because citizens don't overstay their visas, many immigrants do. I imagine that is the reason or something similar to that is what is behind the reasoning for the renewal of DL annually for immigrants. You didn't answer my question. Did you bother to find out for yourself why the NM Governor is proposing this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2011, 07:46 PM

5,299 posts, read 4,844,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
I would disagree with that because citizens don't overstay their visas, many immigrants do. I imagine that is the reason or something similar to that is what is behind the reasoning for the renewal of DL annually for immigrants. You didn't answer my question. Did you bother to find out for yourself why the NM Governor is proposing this?
Legal Permanent Resident (and the underlying ¨Immigrant Visa¨) status does not expire. If their status does not expire, they cannot ¨overstay their visas¨. Once again you have walked into a fundamental concept of immigration that you do not understand.

Governóra Martinez has not stated why she wants legal immigrants to renew their driver´s licenses yearly, perhaps she is trying to capitalize on that they are ¨foreigners¨...

Why not have everyone reapply for their licenses yearly? It would potentially decrease fraud, while employing more DMV clerks. After all, it is pointed out on this forum that driving is not a right, it is a privilege.

Old 09-02-2011, 08:04 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,557,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
The judge knows full well that much fraud is going on but obviously has his own agenda.
I believe his agenda is called "Upholding the constitution". Anything that threatens a legal citizen's rights is not going to make it. After GA, AL and AZ, you'd think Republicans would have learned by now.

Old 09-02-2011, 08:07 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,310,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
Legal Permanent Resident (and the underlying ¨Immigrant Visa¨) status does not expire. If their status does not expire, they cannot ¨overstay their visas¨. Once again you have walked into a fundamental concept of immigration that you do not understand.

Governóra Martinez has not stated why she wants legal immigrants to renew their driver´s licenses yearly, perhaps she is trying to capitalize on that they are ¨foreigners¨...

Why not have everyone reapply for their licenses yearly? It would potentially decrease fraud, while employing more DMV clerks. After all, it is pointed out on this forum that driving is not a right, it is a privilege.
It was a guess on my part. I never claimed to have superior knowledge of legal immigration nor do I really care because my concerns and this forum is about illegal immigration. I wish we'd get off the topic of legal immigration it has nothing to do with this forum but some seem hell bent on doing that and my guess is that they don't want to discuss illegal immigration because it would incriminate themselves.

Yeah, I am sure Governor "Martinez" is just out to persecute immigrants.

If they made the fees reasonable I wouldn't be opposed to all drivers having to renew their licenses yearly and yes driving is not a right but a privilege.

Old 09-02-2011, 08:17 PM

5,299 posts, read 4,844,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
The judge knows full well that much fraud is going on but obviously has his own agenda.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
I believe his agenda is called "Upholding the constitution". Anything that threatens a legal citizen's rights is not going to make it. After GA, AL and AZ, you'd think Republicans would have learned by now.
Uhm, the Judge is a ¨her¨ in this instance...

I´ll say it again, is anybody actually reading the articles they are responding to?...

Old 09-03-2011, 08:00 AM

1,574 posts, read 1,018,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainBiking View Post
OR the border will eventually vanish and people will be free to come and go... legally.

Our government has sold us out.
So it's not the fact that mexicans come here illegally that bothers you. It's the fact that mexicans come here, period.

Old 09-03-2011, 08:10 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,658,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhymetime View Post
So it's not the fact that mexicans come here illegally that bothers you. It's the fact that mexicans come here, period.
Yes. Think about it for a moment. WHY do Mexicans want to come here in such very large numbers? Which Mexicans want to come here?

Those who cannot make it in their own country BECAUSE they begin having babies at very young ages, have baby after baby they cannot support, cannot find employment because they didn't bother to finish school.

They come here because they can easily have their 7 or 8 kids if they are given food stamps, WIC, Medicaid for them. They cannot come here with their skill sets and education and make ends meet with our much higher cost of living, the cost of living is much much lower in Mexico but they can't make it even there.

Do you propose bring in all of Haiti or Ethiopia as long as we bring them in legally? There are over 2 billion impoverished people throughout the world, I don't see you trying to bring in entire nations of people except for the one. Why is that?

Old 09-03-2011, 08:13 AM

1,569 posts, read 1,210,405 times
malamute coming at it with the data! Or uh, not data, but what's it called when you make things up?

Old 09-03-2011, 08:16 AM

1,421 posts, read 1,490,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainBiking View Post
I really think all of this news about judges blocking laws aimed at illegals, the California Dream Act garbage, the Feds not enforcing laws, etc., is a precursor of things to come: Mexico will be part of the United States OR the border will eventually vanish and people will be free to come and go... legally.

Our government has sold us out.

-Cheers.
Or parts of Mexico will do a Texas or Guatemala an try to become USA states. Word has it that Nuevo Leon, etc. aint happy with Calderon.

Old 09-03-2011, 08:19 AM

1,421 posts, read 1,490,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
Legal citiznes rights? Please do tell. Im serious. Arizona, lib Cali, lib NY, etc. DO make it illegal for illegal aliens to have USA drivers licenses but teh judge gives them a pass?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration