U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 09-10-2011, 09:55 AM
 
47,576 posts, read 58,699,632 times
Reputation: 22158

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Does she want to call someone breaking into her house in the dark of night an undocumented resident?
And a bank robber is just making an undocumented withdrawal of funds, an embezzler is just giving himself an undocumented job bonus, and a shoplifter is just an undocumented customer.

 
Old 09-10-2011, 10:00 AM
 
Location: Staten Island, NY
6,482 posts, read 5,968,304 times
Reputation: 6939
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmadinejad View Post
Nitpicky? You're the one getting all eye-rolly when someone points out the facts. It's nitpicking in the same way that my pointing out that, say, someone with multiple speeding tickets is not therefore a prolific criminal is nitpicking.
What I'm saying is that crossing the border without my governments knowledge or permission is a crime. I don't necessarily think that the majority of those who do this are criminals at heart or that they should be treated like criminals. To the contrary, I welcome anyone who wants to come here, work for a living, pay their share of taxes, and play by the rules. I just insist that they sign the friggin' guest book on the way in.
 
Old 09-10-2011, 10:02 AM
 
3,204 posts, read 2,383,305 times
Reputation: 1544
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmadinejad View Post
Nitpicky? You're the one getting all eye-rolly when someone points out the facts. It's nitpicking in the same way that my pointing out that, say, someone with multiple speeding tickets is not therefore a prolific criminal is nitpicking.

Yet, you get all nitpicky when someone points out that the illegals that are here had the choice of following the legal process and gaining citizenship.

You claim our laws are unjust and therefore those that chose to break them aren't at fault.

The problem with that is...the majority don't feel the way you do and the laws have not been changed. Until they are, your argument that they have not broken the law is false.
 
Old 09-10-2011, 10:03 AM
 
1,569 posts, read 1,005,127 times
Reputation: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isitmeorarethingsnuts? View Post
your argument that they have not broken the law is false.
Wow. I make a whole post talking about crimes and civil offenses in a simple manner, and you still seem to have no idea what my point was. Fascinating stuff.
 
Old 09-10-2011, 10:06 AM
 
3,204 posts, read 2,383,305 times
Reputation: 1544
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmadinejad View Post
Wow. I make a whole post talking about crimes and civil offenses in a simple manner, and you still seem to have no idea what my point was. Fascinating stuff.

Pointing out the differences in the classifications of lawbreakers doesn't excuse anyone. They still broke the law.
 
Old 09-10-2011, 10:07 AM
 
Location: Staten Island, NY
6,482 posts, read 5,968,304 times
Reputation: 6939
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmadinejad View Post
Wow. I make a whole post talking about crimes and civil offenses in a simple manner, and you still seem to have no idea what my point was. Fascinating stuff.
Your argument is more one of semantics than policy. People enter this country without permission. Whether that is merely a civil offense or a crime is less relevant than that it is an issue of sovereignty and security as well as expense.
 
Old 09-10-2011, 10:09 AM
 
1,569 posts, read 1,005,127 times
Reputation: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isitmeorarethingsnuts? View Post
Pointing out the differences in the classifications of lawbreakers doesn't excuse anyone. They still broke the law.
...I never said it excused anything. You just said that my "argument" was that they weren't breaking the law at all. Hopefully you see that you were wrong.
 
Old 09-10-2011, 10:13 AM
 
3,204 posts, read 2,383,305 times
Reputation: 1544
What I see is that you continually try to excuse their behaviour because you think the law is unjust.

Many people think that smoking pot should be legalized too for various reasons. My son got caught smoking pot and paid the price.

The price for crossing the border illegally is deportation. It's that simple.
 
Old 09-10-2011, 10:15 AM
 
Location: Staten Island, NY
6,482 posts, read 5,968,304 times
Reputation: 6939
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmadinejad View Post
...I never said it excused anything. You just said that my "argument" was that they weren't breaking the law at all. Hopefully you see that you were wrong.
Wrong? Sorry...not seein' it. My point is that getting bogged down in terminology is merely a distraction by some (not necessarily you) from the main point. It would be far better if the problem itself were addressed (maybe a guest worker program?) rather than camouflaging it in fanciful terminology. Civil offense or crime...what difference does it make vis a` vis the problem?
 
Old 09-10-2011, 10:16 AM
 
1,569 posts, read 1,005,127 times
Reputation: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaturaccioli View Post
Your argument is more one of semantics than policy. People enter this country without permission. Whether that is merely a civil offense or a crime is less relevant than that it is an issue of sovereignty and security as well as expense.
I agree, mostly (there are substantive differences in how we treat crimes vs. civil offenses that are not semantics). But when someone points out that "criminal aliens" or whatever is factually inaccurate, and you're like "THIS IS WHERE I WILL PUT MY EYEROLL SMILEY" then yeah, I might proceed to explain the definitions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top