U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 09-10-2011, 11:21 AM
 
1,574 posts, read 791,268 times
Reputation: 124

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaturaccioli View Post
Your argument is more one of semantics than policy. People enter this country without permission.
Some people that fall into the "illegal aliens" category entered with permission.

 
Old 09-10-2011, 11:23 AM
 
3,204 posts, read 2,388,165 times
Reputation: 1544
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmadinejad View Post
I agree, mostly (there are substantive differences in how we treat crimes vs. civil offenses that are not semantics). But when someone points out that "criminal aliens" or whatever is factually inaccurate, and you're like "THIS IS WHERE I WILL PUT MY EYEROLL SMILEY" then yeah, I might proceed to explain the definitions.

However, the punishment for crossing the border illegally is deportation. It really doesn't matter what the level of the offense is so your effort to point out the difference is meaningless.

When you commit a crime, you pay the price.

In the case of illegal entry, the price is deportation.
 
Old 09-10-2011, 11:24 AM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,836,058 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
“I agree with it because my grandma taught me not to believe in the color, but just believe in human race, one race,” Orlando Evans said.
How touching. So, now we have a new “illegal” racial category. Do tell. I wonder if his grandma also taught him that lawbreakers earn their criminal designation. I suppose we should stop dehumanizing those who steal, by dropping that ugly “T” word. After all, if it’s racist to use the term illegal alien to describe foreign interlopers, it must also be racist to call someone a thief. Does it get more ridiculous than this?
 
Old 09-10-2011, 11:25 AM
 
3,204 posts, read 2,388,165 times
Reputation: 1544
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhymetime View Post
Some people that fall into the "illegal aliens" category entered with permission.

So what's your point. Deportation is the price.
 
Old 09-10-2011, 11:29 AM
 
Location: Staten Island, NY
6,482 posts, read 5,984,898 times
Reputation: 6939
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmadinejad View Post
I agree, mostly (there are substantive differences in how we treat crimes vs. civil offenses that are not semantics). But when someone points out that "criminal aliens" or whatever is factually inaccurate, and you're like "THIS IS WHERE I WILL PUT MY EYEROLL SMILEY" then yeah, I might proceed to explain the definitions.
FWIW, I don't even minimally support the idea of imprisoning even repeat offenders (is 'offenders' an okay word?) whose only crime and/or civil offense is coming here in search of honest work. That said, if we are aware that someone is here...illegitimately (izZAT okay?)...and we don't show 'em the door, we may as well redraw the maps. A country is defined in many ways, borders chief among them. Let's figure a way to regularize the process of coming here transiently to work and at least know who's coming and going and that they're good folk. What we have now is too rife with opportunity for mischief and far worse.
 
Old 09-10-2011, 11:31 AM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,836,058 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhymetime View Post
Some people that fall into the "illegal aliens" category entered with permission.
Their mode of entry is irrelevant. If they are here in violation of our immigration laws, which describes visa overstays as well as those who cross our borders without permission, they are aptly referred to as ILLEGAL aliens.
 
Old 09-10-2011, 11:32 AM
 
1,569 posts, read 1,007,032 times
Reputation: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isitmeorarethingsnuts? View Post
So what's your point. Deportation is the price.
lol goalpost shift. No one ever said deportation was not the remedy. That's not what anyone is talking about.
 
Old 09-10-2011, 11:33 AM
 
1,569 posts, read 1,007,032 times
Reputation: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Their mode of entry is irrelevant. If they are here in violation of our immigration laws, which describes visa overstays as well as those who cross our borders without permission, they are aptly referred to as ILLEGAL aliens.
Which is fine, because it's illegal. But "criminal" is inaccurate.
 
Old 09-10-2011, 11:38 AM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,836,058 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmadinejad View Post
Which is fine, because it's illegal. But "criminal" is inaccurate.
Do you have any data on the percentage of illegals who are working by using a stolen (theft) or fake (fraud) SSN, or the percentage working under the table (tax evasion)? The last time I checked, all are considered crimes. Oh, that’s right, it’s not “criminal” behavior, because they are forced to break our laws due to our unfair and racist immigration policies.
 
Old 09-10-2011, 11:43 AM
 
Location: Staten Island, NY
6,482 posts, read 5,984,898 times
Reputation: 6939
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmadinejad View Post
Which is fine, because it's illegal. But "criminal" is inaccurate.
And if it's 'illegal' as you've just written, then they are indeed Illegal Aliens, no???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top