Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2011, 01:42 PM

1,569 posts, read 1,210,603 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
What "penalty" are they receiving from a citation?
I don't know if you are being sarcastic or not. Is there a penalty, in your eyes, for speeding?

Quote:
Did the article indicate the penalty for speeders driving without a license?
No, it explained what the bill does, and it seems to apply strictly to DUI checkpoints.

Old 09-17-2011, 01:47 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,555,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmadinejad View Post
I don't know if you are being sarcastic or not. Is there a penalty, in your eyes, for speeding?

No, it explained what the bill does, and it seems to apply strictly to DUI checkpoints.
No sarcasm. My question relates to the citation you referenced for driving without a license at a DUI checkpoint. How is a citation a penalty?

Old 09-17-2011, 01:48 PM

Quote:
No sarcasm. My question relates to the citation you referenced for driving without a license at DUI checkpoint. How is a citation a penalty?
The same way it's a penalty when you get cited for anything else? It can and usually does include a fine and so forth.

Old 09-17-2011, 01:49 PM

Quote:
The same way it's a penalty when you get cited for anything else? It can and usually does include a fine and so forth.
Perhaps I missed it, but what fine are they required to pay?

Old 09-17-2011, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Perhaps I missed it, but what fine are they required to pay?
The article doesn't specify. You realize what a citation is, right? It's the penalty for speeding, jaywalking, loitering, etc. etc. etc.

Old 09-17-2011, 01:57 PM

Quote:
The article doesn't specify. You realize what a citation is, right? It's the penalty for speeding, jaywalking, loitering, etc. etc. etc.
Therefore, we can only assume they will pay a fine. You do realize a citation need not include a fine, don’t you? It could be nothing more than a simple warning. In other words, there’s no real penalty for driving without a license. They certainly can’t threaten points on their driving record, can they?

Old 09-17-2011, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Therefore, we can only assume they will pay a fine. You do realize a citation need not include a fine, don’t you? It could be nothing more than a simple warning. In other words, there’s no real penalty for driving without a license. They certainly can’t threaten points on their driving record, can they?
What? So I can't assume that there is a fine involved even though most citations (by a longshot) include them, but you can assume the other way?

My point was and remains that this is not effectively removing the license requirement, nor does it apply solely to illegal immigrants. We can add to that point that, you know, citations are penalties, but whatever.

Old 09-17-2011, 02:01 PM

3,484 posts, read 2,870,931 times
Quote:
Of course it applies to everyone. They certainly couldn’t enact a law exclusively for illegal aliens. So, they did the next best thing, and changed their policy to protect illegals under the guise of being for all. Who other than illegals, and a small group of citizen drivers who have had their license suspended or revoked would benefit? It essentially makes driving without a license an acceptable practice, and will only lead to more deaths. But, as long as it benefits illegals, all is well.

No, but it does remove the penalty for driving without a license. So, what’s the difference?
Exactly.

The proposed law exists for one real reason and one reason only: to make life easier for illegal aliens. Worse, by reducing the penalties for driving without a license and insurance it makes life harder for natives. Our roads will be less safe under this insane proposal. An American driver would face all kinds of increased risks from people who haven't proven they can handle being behind the wheel or bothered to insure themselves in case of an accident. I'm baffled that anyone other than an illegal and their idiotic supporters could think this is a good thing.

But then again that's the illegal lobby for you: selfish and arrogant.

Old 09-17-2011, 02:03 PM

Quote:
What? So I can't assume that there is a fine involved even though most citations (by a longshot) include them, but you can assume the other way?

My point was and remains that this is not effectively removing the license requirement, nor does it apply solely to illegal immigrants. We can add to that point that, you know, citations are penalties, but whatever.
A citation without a punitive measure is simply a piece of paper. The point being, illegal aliens caught without a license in DUI checkpoints, will not be arrested, and will not be punished in any way, shape, or form for driving without a license.

Old 09-17-2011, 02:05 PM

Quote:
A citation without a punitive measure is simply a piece of paper. The point being, illegal aliens caught without a license in DUI checkpoints, will not be arrested, and will not be punished in any way, shape, or form for driving without a license.
That may be your "point" but you're just making it up. Most citations come with fines and other penalties. If there is actually nothing along those lines, then go ahead and demonstrate that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration