U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 10:15 PM

3,951 posts, read 3,582,217 times

Advertisements

If the answer for this question is supposed to be "No," then I ask what is the other alternative for finding out who is here illegally? I think something has to be done. Of course, it should be full of human liberty and without discrimination. However, with the ethnicity of most illegal immigrants belonging to one group, how can illegal immigration be touched without claims or racism? I think that is the problem. It is wrong to protect illegal immigrants through the method of blanketing it with racism or discrimination.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2011, 10:25 PM

1,574 posts, read 788,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoEdible View Post
It is wrong to protect illegal immigrants through the method of blanketing it with racism or discrimination.
I agree!

Note the flipside of that coin - it's wrong to protect racists by hiding behind illegal immigration.

Old 09-18-2011, 10:42 PM

3,951 posts, read 3,582,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhymetime View Post
I agree!

Note the flipside of that coin - it's wrong to protect racists by hiding behind illegal immigration.
Definitely. I don't side with the racists in this debate of illegal immigration. I would rather be on the side of an illegal than take the side of a racist in this. Know what I mean?

Old 09-18-2011, 10:55 PM

1,791 posts, read 1,668,294 times
I agree that we need to tread very carefully on the issue of Id checks on immigration.

While I agree illegal immigration is rampant and needs to be checked, how do set up the conditions to monitor documents without the big brother complex developing?

I would agree on traffic stops where the police pull people over for a legitimate violation that they can ask for verification papers. I also agree that when police are called to a home or an apartment for a disturbance they can also check papers.

I do not agree that neighbors calling police and reporting suspicion of an illegal on the block is justification for a search of documents.

While I agree with the opinion that our immigration problem is severe and needs work, we need to remember that this is America and our creed and moral compass is not to intimidate or browbeat people without just cause-------just suspicion that somebody may be illegal is not just cause.

Old 09-18-2011, 11:04 PM

15,756 posts, read 32,484,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefffla01 View Post
I agree that we need to tread very carefully on the issue of Id checks on immigration.

While I agree illegal immigration is rampant and needs to be checked, how do set up the conditions to monitor documents without the big brother complex developing?

I would agree on traffic stops where the police pull people over for a legitimate violation that they can ask for verification papers. I also agree that when police are called to a home or an apartment for a disturbance they can also check papers.
Nope. The LEO can ask for a drivers license and insurance if required. That is it. And nothing of other people in the car.

Quote:
I do not agree that neighbors calling police and reporting suspicion of an illegal on the block is justification for a search of documents.
Got that one right.

Quote:
While I agree with the opinion that our immigration problem is severe and needs work, we need to remember that this is America and our creed and moral compass is not to intimidate or browbeat people without just cause-------just suspicion that somebody may be illegal is not just cause.
Yup...but not a popular view here.

Not quite American is it?

Old 09-19-2011, 07:57 AM

14,307 posts, read 11,146,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoEdible View Post
If the answer for this question is supposed to be "No," then I ask what is the other alternative for finding out who is here illegally? I think something has to be done. Of course, it should be full of human liberty and without discrimination. However, with the ethnicity of most illegal immigrants belonging to one group, how can illegal immigration be touched without claims or racism? I think that is the problem. It is wrong to protect illegal immigrants through the method of blanketing it with racism or discrimination.
I so do agree with you here. The ones screaming racism and discrimination are usually U.S. citizens of that same ethnic group. They would have no reason to fear because they would have a valid I.D. therefore they are screaming to protect illegal aliens of their own ethnic group. It is as obvious as the nose on your face.

I am not suggesting that anyone be asked for their I.D. under anything other than lawful contact contrary to those who are suggesting in here that those of us in here that are anti-illegal immigration are advocating for that.

Last edited by chicagonut; 09-19-2011 at 08:06 AM.. Reason: clarity

Old 09-19-2011, 09:40 AM

15,756 posts, read 32,484,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
I so do agree with you here. The ones screaming racism and discrimination are usually U.S. citizens of that same ethnic group. They would have no reason to fear because they would have a valid I.D. therefore they are screaming to protect illegal aliens of their own ethnic group. It is as obvious as the nose on your face.

I am not suggesting that anyone be asked for their I.D. under anything other than lawful contact contrary to those who are suggesting in here that those of us in here that are anti-illegal immigration are advocating for that.
Lawful contact does not require one to produce ID.

Old 09-19-2011, 09:22 PM

16,685 posts, read 27,887,589 times
Quote:
Regardless of how many do decide to do that voluntarily, they're still not required to do it. So people can't be required to present something they're not required to carry.
And if they can't prove they are who they say they are, the police should be allowed hold them until they can prove otherwise.

If you're traveling in a foreign country, wouldn't you carry your ID/passport with you?

Old 09-19-2011, 09:25 PM

16,685 posts, read 27,887,589 times
Quote:
I agree!

Heads they win, tails we lose.

Maybe I should scream racism the next time I am pulled over. Nothing funnier than a pale white Hispanic woman screaming RACIST! at a white LEO, is there?

Old 09-19-2011, 09:26 PM

20,310 posts, read 18,881,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
And if they can't prove they are who they say they are, the police should be allowed hold them until they can prove otherwise.

If you're traveling in a foreign country, wouldn't you carry your ID/passport with you?
And green card holders are required to do so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration