U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 09:36 PM

15,756 posts, read 32,498,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
And if they can't prove they are who they say they are, the police should be allowed hold them until they can prove otherwise.

If you're traveling in a foreign country, wouldn't you carry your ID/passport with you?
We are not traveling in a foreign country. We are Americans with our own permissive system. Perhaps you should consider moving if you don't care for ours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2011, 06:57 AM

1,574 posts, read 789,566 times
Quote:
And if they can't prove they are who they say they are, the police should be allowed hold them until they can prove otherwise.

If you're traveling in a foreign country, wouldn't you carry your ID/passport with you?
We're talking about citizens here.

I mean, I get you're in a hurry to create a police state, but right now citizens are not required to carry ID, period.

Old 09-20-2011, 11:34 AM

16,685 posts, read 27,902,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhymetime View Post
We're talking about citizens here.

I mean, I get you're in a hurry to create a police state, but right now citizens are not required to carry ID, period.
Migrant farmworker arrest video released - WCAX.COM Local Vermont News, Weather and Sports-

The passengers in the vehicle weren't citizens but the driver was a USC. If the driver has committed a crime, and the occupants are behaving in a nervous fashion during the stop, the LEO should use his discretion when asking occupants for ID.

All other matters aside, I don't see what the problem is with carrying one's ID.

If I go shopping I need my license if I write a check.
If I open an account with the utility company I need ID.
If I want a library card -- ID required.
If I want to register my children in a new school -- ID is needed.
If I am found unconcious or dead ID would help expedite notification of my loved ones.
If I want to get a discount on my birthday -- ID needed.
Apply for a job -- need ID.
Apply to a college -- need ID.
Apply for a drivers license or non drivers ID -- need multiple forms of ID.

VOTE -- DON'T NEED ID. I have a issue with that.

I don't see the big deal in carrying ID.

Old 09-20-2011, 12:07 PM

Quote:
the LEO should use his discretion when asking occupants for ID.
Again, he's free to ask all he wants.

Quote:
All other matters aside, I don't see what the problem is with carrying one's ID.
There's no problem. If you want to carry it with you knock yourself out.

Old 09-20-2011, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhymetime View Post

There's no problem. If you want to carry it with you knock yourself out.
Please help me understand why people would have an issue carrying their ID with them without resorting to police state rhetoric. I really do not understand why it is a problem for some people.

Old 09-20-2011, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
We are not traveling in a foreign country. We are Americans with our own permissive system. Perhaps you should consider moving if you don't care for ours.

If you don't like it leave is your reply? Really now, I would expect more of you than tired slogans.

Our system is not entirely permissive. In many states you can't drive around talking on your cell phone, carrying a fire arm, driving drunk, dealing drugs, etc. There are laws in place.

Foreigners in our country are required to carry ID on them.

The passengers in the vehicle stop in VT lied to the VSP and couldn't produce ID when it became apparent that they were not USCs. Should our laws become more permissive for certain people and more restrictive for others? I guess you feel they should: after all, if our government is turning a blind eye toward illegal immigration, our local police should, too.

Old 09-20-2011, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Please help me understand why people would have an issue carrying their ID with them without resorting to police state rhetoric. I really do not understand why it is a problem for some people.
Who are these people? I have yet to see anyone that thinks you should not carry your ID with you if you want to.

Old 09-20-2011, 02:52 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,152,437 times
Quote:
The objection is usually from the pro-illegal crowd. They don't want those in our country illegally to be asked for their I.D. and therefore be detected, detained and deported. So they use the "police state" rhetoric just like they use the "race card" and "racial profiling" rhetoric.

Old 09-20-2011, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
So they use the "police state" rhetoric just like they use the "race card" and "racial profiling" rhetoric.
True. I hate police state apologists as much as I hate racists.

Old 09-20-2011, 04:42 PM

5,302 posts, read 4,012,769 times
Quote:
...Foreigners in our country are required to carry ID on them...
Yeah, uhm, not exactly. If you mean Legal Permanent Residents who are 18 years or older, yes. But they aren't obligated to present it to anyone but Federal immigration officers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration