U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 04:47 PM

3,951 posts, read 3,583,040 times

Advertisements

I want to ask a question: Who else has left their house, realized they left their ID at home and thought, "Crap, hope I don't get stopped for something (traffic or otherwise) and not have my ID on me?" It's not a HUGE issue to you because you know you are legally here and can clear it up with the authorities, but you still know that common knowledge is that you carry an ID with you. I would think it should be even more true of someone who is a visitor or immigrant to the country.

I'm a US citizen and I was born here, and even I know that having an ID on me is important and that without it things could become more drawn-out with an officer. So, I don't really buy this talk about how the police are being hard on illegal immigants by demanding that a person carry their documents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2011, 04:56 PM

1,569 posts, read 1,005,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoEdible View Post
I want to ask a question: Who else has left their house, realized they left their ID at home and thought, "Crap, hope I don't get stopped for something (traffic or otherwise) and not have my ID on me?" It's not a HUGE issue to you because you know you are legally here and can clear it up with the authorities, but you still know that common knowledge is that you carry an ID with you. I would think it should be even more true of someone who is a visitor or immigrant to the country.

I'm a US citizen and I was born here, and even I know that having an ID on me is important and that without it things could become more drawn-out with an officer. So, I don't really buy this talk about how the police are being hard on illegal immigants by demanding that a person carry their documents.
You realize you guys are the only one's talking about driving, right? If you are driving without a license, that IS illegal. If you're "clearing it up" with an officer, they're letting you off the hook. That's different than walking down the street without a license.

Old 09-20-2011, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmadinejad View Post
You realize you guys are the only one's talking about driving, right? If you are driving without a license, that IS illegal. If you're "clearing it up" with an officer, they're letting you off the hook. That's different than walking down the street without a license.
I mentioned driving, that wasn't the ONLY thing that I am talking about.

And yes, when I was growing up, if we as minors were out walking on the street at night, we were always told by our parents that we should have an idea.

You're trying very hard to not hear me out. I'm just being real with you about this. I've always been paranoid about not having an ID on me. I don't understand why people think immigrants can't have the same responsibility as us.

And when I say, "clear it up," I'm saying that because I AM legally here and not living a LIE that eventually it would be realized that I have the right to be here and am here legally. I work somewhere legally and I was born here with birth documentation, I would be able to prove that. Someone who is here LEGALLY would be able to do that by the law enforcement going through the proper agencies or if the immigrant presented documents that were legit.

Old 09-20-2011, 08:23 PM

1,569 posts, read 1,005,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoEdible View Post
I mentioned driving, that wasn't the ONLY thing that I am talking about.

And yes, when I was growing up, if we as minors were out walking on the street at night, we were always told by our parents that we should have an idea.

You're trying very hard to not hear me out. I'm just being real with you about this. I've always been paranoid about not having an ID on me. I don't understand why people think immigrants can't have the same responsibility as us.
There's a difference between a LEGAL responsibility and what you consider to be the responsible thing to do.

Old 09-21-2011, 07:31 PM

Quote:
There's a difference between a LEGAL responsibility and what you consider to be the responsible thing to do.
What? That's your response to that? Bahaha.

Old 09-22-2011, 08:24 AM

9,243 posts, read 7,099,270 times
Quote:
Yes it is illegal.

At the same time they want to demand to be unknown

Old 09-22-2011, 10:10 AM

5,302 posts, read 4,011,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Yes it is illegal.

At the same time they want to demand to be unknown
What is illegal (quote what you are responding to)?...

"Demand to be unknown"?...

What are you talking about?...

Old 09-22-2011, 12:30 PM

9,243 posts, read 7,099,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
What is illegal (quote what you are responding to)?...

"Demand to be unknown"?...

What are you talking about?...
[COLOR="rgb(255, 140, 0)"]1. Driving with no license.[/color]

2. being required to produce ID

3. Illegals

Old 09-22-2011, 02:33 PM

738 posts, read 928,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalYankee View Post
Under what circumstances do you have random checks?
We have road blocks. Sometimes for DUI and sometimes for seatbelts. They catch people for outstanding warrants, no insurance, and the stated reason for the road block.

Old 09-25-2011, 12:01 PM

3,441 posts, read 4,985,320 times
I am in favor of strict immigration enforcement and I think everyone should carry some form of identification with them any time they leave the house(DL, State ID, Dogtags, etc.) but to stop anyone/everyone and demand to be shown an ID is WAY overboard.
For the most part those "illegals" standing outside a building supply place looking for day labor are not the illegals that are causing us problems.

How about this scenario; the local LEOs go to an area and demand EVERYONE passing a certain building show ID, if they can't they are taken in, that is EVERYONE; race, age, gender, would not be relevant, your 10 year old coming home from school misses dinner.

How about a road block where EVERY car is stopped and the driver is given a Field Sobriety test, maybe include any passengers for public intox, turning around to avoid the traffic jam gets you and everyone in your car automatically arrested(avoiding a roadblock you MUST be doing something illegal).

Now businesses that hire illegals, should be fined out business, any illegals committing a crime should be automatically and instantly deported.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration