U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 12:31 PM

9,243 posts, read 7,097,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhymetime View Post
Again, that's my problem. YOU don't have a right to demand that I identify myself to YOU. If I want to identify myself to some other guy in order to put him at ease so he'll agree to do business with me, that's between me and him, it doesn't concern YOU.

Mind your own business.
I don't but the government does if you want to be apart of society.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2011, 12:35 PM

3,204 posts, read 2,383,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalYankee View Post
Oh yeah? If you are young, a passenger in a car with a driver who appears to be young you can be stopped. And if one of you purchased liquor then everybody in the car better have IDs.

Where I'm from cops park a block away from bars at closing time on a regular basis waiting to stop cars and try to get DUI's.

Is that targeting? I'm not sure, but it sure happens and no one has been able to stop it so I guess not.

Is it racist? Not sure on that either.

Is it bigoted? Not sure.

Is it xenophobic? Not sure.

Could some of the authorities on racism, bigotry and xenophobia help me out here?

Old 09-13-2011, 02:52 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,146,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isitmeorarethingsnuts? View Post
Where I'm from cops park a block away from bars at closing time on a regular basis waiting to stop cars and try to get DUI's.

Is that targeting? I'm not sure, but it sure happens and no one has been able to stop it so I guess not.

Is it racist? Not sure on that either.

Is it bigoted? Not sure.

Is it xenophobic? Not sure.

Could some of the authorities on racism, bigotry and xenophobia help me out here?
If cops are hanging out by bars to catch DUI's it's not possible that it is any of the above because there are DUI's from all ethnic groups/races.

Old 09-13-2011, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalYankee View Post
Oh yeah? If you are young, a passenger in a car with a driver who appears to be young you can be stopped. And if one of you purchased liquor then everybody in the car better have IDs.
Not only that but even when I am only a passenger in a car I carry my I.D. What if the driver has an accident? How will I be identified if I don't have I.D. on me? Especially, if both the driver and myself are seriously injured and neither one of us can communicate as to who I am and to be able to notify my family of the accident.

Old 09-13-2011, 03:20 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,809,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Not only that but even when I am only a passenger in a car I carry my I.D. What if the driver has an accident? How will I be identified if I don't have I.D. on me? Especially, if both the driver and myself are seriously injured and neither one of us can communicate as to who I am and to be able to notify my family of the accident.
I donít leave the house without ID, unless Iím working in the yard. As you said, anything can happen. You could be jogging and get hit by a car, or have a heart attack or stroke and die. I donít want my family to be frantic, not knowing where I am, or if Iím dead or alive. Nor would I want my body to be lying in a morgue as Jane Doe. Even when my son was in kindergarten he had a photo ID pinned to the inside of his pocket. Itís stupid for anyone to walk around without a form of identification.

Old 09-13-2011, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
I donít leave the house without ID, unless Iím working in the yard. As you said, anything can happen. You could be jogging and get hit by a car, or have a heart attack or stroke and die. I donít want my family to be frantic, not knowing where I am, or if Iím dead or alive. Nor would I want my body to be lying in a morgue as Jane Doe. Even when my son was in kindergarten he had a photo ID pinned to the inside of his pocket. Itís stupid for anyone to walk around without a form of identification.
Totally, agree. It may not be required by law but it is just common sense to carry I.D. at all times when away from your home.

Old 09-13-2011, 03:38 PM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,084,981 times
This idea violates the 1st, 4th and 5th Amendments to the US Constitution and is just plain dumb to boot.

Detaining and searching people just because they are at the wrong store or party is a blatant violation of the 1st Amendment right to free association.

Suspicionless, random searches are not allowed under the 4th Amendment.

And nobody can be forced to answer questions or incriminate themselves due to the 5th Amendment.

What you are asking for is a complete shift in some of the basic fundamentals that this country was founded on. I for one have no desire to live in a country that is functionally equivalent to post WWII East Berlin.

Old 09-13-2011, 04:06 PM

3,204 posts, read 2,383,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco View Post
This idea violates the 1st, 4th and 5th Amendments to the US Constitution and is just plain dumb to boot.

Detaining and searching people just because they are at the wrong store or party is a blatant violation of the 1st Amendment right to free association.

Suspicionless, random searches are not allowed under the 4th Amendment.

And nobody can be forced to answer questions or incriminate themselves due to the 5th Amendment.

What you are asking for is a complete shift in some of the basic fundamentals that this country was founded on. I for one have no desire to live in a country that is functionally equivalent to post WWII East Berlin.

It is my feeling that that shift is no different than waiting outside a bar for DUI's or sitting under an overpass on a hiway trying to catch speeders. Law enforcement goes to the places that crimes are commited. That's where they catch criminals. If people that go to bars commit the most DUI's that's where the cops go to catch them. If certain groups hang out by Home Depot to get illegal employment the cops will go there to catch them.

If I go to a bar for a couple drinks and a cop stops me because I crossed the center line while driving am I being targeted? Or are cops drawing a logical conclusion while doing their job of enforcing the law?

Old 09-13-2011, 04:22 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,809,199 times
Quote:
It is my feeling that that shift is no different than waiting outside a bar for DUI's or sitting under an overpass on a hiway trying to catch speeders. Law enforcement goes to the places that crimes are commited. That's where they catch criminals. If people that go to bars commit the most DUI's that's where the cops go to catch them. If certain groups hang out by Home Depot to get illegal employment the cops will go there to catch them.

If I go to a bar for a couple drinks and a cop stops me because I crossed the center line while driving am I being targeted? Or are cops drawing a logical conclusion while doing their job of enforcing the law?
Spot-on, as usual.

Old 09-13-2011, 04:32 PM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,084,981 times
Quote:

Apples and oranges.

Are the cops waiting outside of bars pulling over cars with latino drivers or cars that look like they are being driven by a drunk? Are the highway patrol officers pulling over cars with latino drivers or cars that exceed the speed limit? In both examples you gave, the police are acting when they see evidence of a crime. Detaining people arriving at a birthday party or hanging out by a Home Depot is a different animal entirely. Your example is really only on point if you think that simply being latino is evidence that you are committing a crime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration