U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 03:51 PM

20,310 posts, read 18,878,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco View Post
Are the cops going to ask everyone that is in a Home Depot parking lot for ID? If not, how will they pick and choose? What criteria do you expect law enforcement to use when they select people for a random search?
Just the ones they observe lottering
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2011, 10:07 PM

5,903 posts, read 6,351,297 times
Oh man.... Seven pages later and the same argument over and over. The bottom line only those required to carry ID, such as vehicle operators, resident aliens, etc., other than that you decide if you want to carry. If you are stopped and investigated for a crime, the officdr will run your data in their database. Yes, carrying the ID is a convenience, an option and not required.

Old 09-15-2011, 08:45 AM

15,179 posts, read 15,807,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
When they aren´t required and don´t carry their Residency Card, you read that I wouldn´t have them carry identification? It´s not common sense to have a 9 year-old girl carry her Residency Card ($400+ replacement cost) when she doesn´t have to, and all the relevant data it provides is her name. Maybe you need to identify the ID better.
Have you ever considered copying her card, keeping the original in a safe place, while giving her a duplicate? Aside from the obvious reasons for carrying some form of ID, I do believe ALL green card holders are required to carry their cards at all times. Is there an age exemption?

Old 09-15-2011, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Isn´t that what my post on the Residency Card said? If it isn´t required to be carried, and has no practical benefit otherwise, why carry it? But I received a response that I didn´t want my family carrying any ID.

A ¨Student ID¨ is not state-issued ID? I´m trying to follow why carrying ID is ¨helpful¨ and practical for those with citizenship and immigration status (even though most ID proves either), but not the case by those lacking immigration status. Don´t we want a more official (photograph and fingerprint) method if a child, any child, is abducted?

Won´t somebody please think of the children?...
No, a K-12 student ID is not necessarily state issued. My son attended private schools, and they always issued photo IDs. Most schools do, regardless of immigration status. Doesn’t your 9-year-old have a student ID? Moreover, as chicagonut stated, any parent can have an ID made for their child.

How are we not thinking of the children?

Old 09-15-2011, 09:02 AM

5,302 posts, read 4,009,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Have you ever considered copying her card, keeping the original in a safe place, while giving her a duplicate? Aside from the obvious reasons for carrying some form of ID, I do believe ALL green card holders are required to carry their cards at all times. Is there an age exemption?
Yes, you didn't know? Under the age of 18 carrying the Residency Card is not Federally mandated (SB1070 didn't really address this nuance). Why does a 9 year-old need a copy if it only shows her name, and not our address?

In reality it is probably more practical to write the information down...

You want to make a copy of a Federal ID it tells you not to copy?...

Old 09-15-2011, 09:04 AM

20,310 posts, read 18,878,727 times
Quote:
Yes it is a requirement and all green card holders are told this when they are issued their card.

Old 09-15-2011, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Yes it is a requirement and all green card holders are told this when they are issued their card.
Wrong, see my post above...

Old 09-15-2011, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Yes, you didn't know? Under the age of 18 carrying the Residency Card is not Federally mandated (SB1070 didn't really address this nuance). Why does a 9 year-old need a copy if it only shows her name, and not our address?

In reality it is probably more practical to write the information down...

You want to make a copy of a Federal ID it tells you not to copy?...
If she is not required to carry a green card, then give her another form of ID. It’s just that simple. No, of course you shouldn’t copy the card if it’s prohibited by law.

Old 09-15-2011, 09:11 AM

Quote:
No, a K-12 student ID is not necessarily state issued. My son attended private schools, and they always issued photo IDs. Most schools do, regardless of immigration status. Doesn’t your 9-year-old have a student ID? Moreover, as chicagonut stated, any parent can have an ID made for their child...
For public schools, the "Student ID" would be state-issued...

Riding on a public school bus is also "welfare"...

If a parent makes an ID, how are we sure that information is correct?...

Old 09-15-2011, 09:13 AM

Quote:
For public schools, the "Student ID" would be state-issued...

Riding on a public school bus is also "welfare"...

If a parent makes an ID, how are we sure that information is correct?...
I can only shake my head.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration