U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 09:34 AM

5,302 posts, read 4,009,391 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
I can only shake my head.
Why, we went over the reason why it is in there with free/reduced cost lunches. I'm perplexed why old terminology is being used for the Residency Card, and not understanding the Federal conditions to carrying it. From the spouses and former spouses of immigrants no less.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2011, 09:42 AM

20,310 posts, read 18,881,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
Wrong, see my post above...
With all due respect I was there when she was issued her card. I was there for each phase. When she was given the card she was given a lecture about taking care of the card and how she was required to carry it with her at all times. I was there....... And I do speak english and that is what she was told.
Retain green card - Useful tips for permanent residents
USCIS - After a Green Card is Granted
Now then from the uscis themselves. All green card holders are required to have a valid green card in their possesion at all times.

Old 09-15-2011, 09:44 AM

15,179 posts, read 15,809,199 times
Quote:
Why, we went over the reason why it is in there with free/reduced cost lunches. I'm perplexed why old terminology is being used for the Residency Card, and not understanding the Federal conditions to carrying it. From the spouses and former spouses of immigrants no less.
Riding on a school bus is the same as welfare, or free lunch for illegals? Do tell.

As for being the spouse of a legal immigrant, my ex became a naturalized citizen years ago. If the “Residency Card” is no longer considered a “Green Card” why on earth should I know, or care?

Old 09-15-2011, 09:49 AM

20,310 posts, read 18,881,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Riding on a school bus is the same as welfare, or free lunch for illegals? Do tell.

As for being the spouse of a legal immigrant, my ex became a naturalized citizen years ago. If the “Residency Card” is no longer considered a “Green Card” why on earth should I know, or care?
My wife is also naturalized now. But lets not let the USCIS lead us all astray. They only say Green card holders must carry, they dont really mean it.

Old 09-15-2011, 09:52 AM

14,307 posts, read 11,144,640 times
Quote:
For public schools, the "Student ID" would be state-issued...

Riding on a public school bus is also "welfare"...

If a parent makes an ID, how are we sure that information is correct?...
If that is true then the illegal alien student would have that same state issued ID as a citizen student, wouldn't they? Are you saying that they are being denied that by the schools because of their immigration status especially since schools aren't supposed to ask for status from the student? Just what is it that you are complaining about?

No, riding on a public school bus is not welfare. All students are allowed to ride them unlike discounted or free lunches all students aren't entitled to that so it is a form of welfare.

Your last remark makes no sense at all. Why wouldn't the parent give their child and I.D. that would reflect their correct name, address and contact person? Are you grasping at straws now?

Old 09-15-2011, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
...Now then from the uscis themselves. All green card holders are required to have a valid green card in their possesion at all times.
USCIS is mixed up, as always. You didn't process with minors. The Residency Card is only required to be carried by a Legal Permanent Resident the age of 18 or older.

Old 09-15-2011, 10:06 AM

Quote:
USCIS is mixed up, as always. You didn't process with minors. The Residency Card is only required to be carried by a Legal Permanent Resident the age of 18 or older.
Ok, then if that is true your step-child doesn't have to carry it so what is your problem then?

Old 09-15-2011, 10:18 AM

3,581 posts, read 9,002,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco View Post
This idea violates the 1st, 4th and 5th Amendments to the US Constitution and is just plain dumb to boot.

Detaining and searching people just because they are at the wrong store or party is a blatant violation of the 1st Amendment right to free association.
Nothing has been mentioned regarding searching people. Only checking for ID was included in the scenario put forth for discussion. Nothing has been suggested that persons at these targeted locations and events would be detained or otherwise persuaded from associating freely with each other.

The idea that checking identification is a violation of the 1st amendment is as ludicrous as believing falling acorns represent the destruction of the universe via the collapse of ionic bonding. I agree that precedents can be dangerous and lead to deprivation of civil liberties, but that argument being used to support anarchy is equally wrong.

Quote:
Suspicionless, random searches are not allowed under the 4th Amendment.
Agreed. Nothing has been mentioned about random searches. I believe that searches might be the logical fruit of a checkpoint, regardless of the original purpose or target, but it would have to be after a reasonable suspicion of illegal activity is determined. That would be the same rule if a cop was walking a beat and saw a businessman in a suit standing outside a condemned building inspecting the contents of a dozen plastic baggies. Can't search the gang-banger looking kid walking at the end of the block unless there seems to be some reason to link him to the businessman or some other illegal activity is observed.

Quote:
And nobody can be forced to answer questions or incriminate themselves due to the 5th Amendment.
I am not well versed in the execution of this line of personal defense, but showing identification has never been self incriminatory as far as I know. Is the act of displaying an id card considered answering questions?

I guess they could always cite the 5th amendment, refuse to show id and be arrested for the offense of failing to identify to an officer of the law. I have seen that happen on COPS quite often in college towns where the cops are patrolling the bar scene.

Old 09-15-2011, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Ok, then if that is true your step-child doesn't have to carry it so what is your problem then?
My eldest stepdaughter (since she is over the age of 18) carries hers, as does my wife. The Residency Card for the younger two remain in our firefile, unless we travel. We have state-issued ID for my stepson, freakishly huge for his age (if LE stops him, they need to know his authentic age).

Old 09-15-2011, 10:48 AM

Quote:
My eldest stepdaughter (since she is over the age of 18) carries hers, as does my wife. The Residency Card for the younger two remain in our firefile, unless we travel. We have state-issued ID for my stepson, freakishly huge for his age (if LE stops him, they need to know his authentic age).
So again, just what is your complaint under this thread or do you just want to continually talk about your family? I wish we would just back to the forum topic which illegal immigration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration