U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 01:20 AM

7,653 posts, read 14,789,138 times

Advertisements

Let's say there's a community known for rampant illegal immigration. Of the Hispanic population, an estimated 70% of them are undocumented. Let's also say that it is in a state that recently adopted Arizona-like laws, but stricter. Basically, if a police officer merely suspects that you are an illegal alien (there would perhaps be some "grounds" for the suspicion required, but they would be very light), he can check your ID on the spot. Various groups charge that the law goes against the U.S. constitution, and are preparing the state for a battle in court, but that is the law as it stands.

Should police officers be able to stand on the sidewalk at a church or reception hall hosting a quinceañera party, and when the limo arrives, pull random people out for ID checks?

Should they be able to send squads to do random ID checks after a Mexican restaurant closes and sends its employees home? Should they be able to do a sting operation at a storefront "Envio de Dinero" (cash transfer) shop, perhaps with officers hiding around the block, and randomly check IDs?

I'd be interested to know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2011, 06:32 AM

1,574 posts, read 790,822 times
Citizens aren't required to carry ID. So I'm not sure what this would accomplish.

Old 09-13-2011, 06:39 AM

327 posts, read 262,603 times
We should have random checks, because illegal immigration is out of control in this country. Most places you are required to have an id. No one ever refuses to show id at the dmv, library, & getting a bank account. You should be anle to prove who you are.

I say yes we need them.

Old 09-13-2011, 06:56 AM

3,079 posts, read 3,583,335 times
It's a slippery slope.

As much as I am for deporting each and every illegal in this country, the thought of changing the way the police operate from requiring "just cause" to "just because" bothers me.

If the police can start pulling people out of a wedding at random who knows what else they might do? It's the first step towards a police state.

Old 09-13-2011, 07:47 AM

9,243 posts, read 7,111,023 times
We have random checks anyway, what would make it different from random checks for illegals?

Old 09-13-2011, 07:57 AM

3,079 posts, read 3,583,335 times
Under what circumstances do you have random checks?

Old 09-13-2011, 08:32 AM

To check for illegals

Old 09-13-2011, 09:00 AM

1,574 posts, read 790,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madd love View Post
We should have random checks, because illegal immigration is out of control in this country. Most places you are required to have an id. No one ever refuses to show id at the dmv, library, & getting a bank account. You should be anle to prove who you are.

I say yes we need them.
The DMV, library, and bank are not "most places," and you don't need an ID to be at the library, and a private company not doing business with you unless you do certain things is a LOT DIFFERENT than the government requiring you to do certain things as a matter of day to day existence.

The fact is that citizens do not have to carry ID with them, period. You really want to turn the US into a police state with internal checkpoints?

Old 09-13-2011, 10:50 AM

20,310 posts, read 18,908,828 times
I would be for this for example people lottering outside certain kinds of stores like home depot etc.
I would be for this if police pull a vehicle over for traffic violation all occupants produce ID.
But to walk up to a group of say shoppers doing nothing but shopping? NO
I also have no issue with random check points to verify insurance regestration and drivers license.
For those who say we are not required to carry ID. When operating a vehicle you do.

Old 09-13-2011, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhymetime View Post
The DMV, library, and bank are not "most places," and you don't need an ID to be at the library, and a private company not doing business with you unless you do certain things is a LOT DIFFERENT than the government requiring you to do certain things as a matter of day to day existence.

The fact is that citizens do not have to carry ID with them, period. You really want to turn the US into a police state with internal checkpoints?
Nobody in the world has to carry an ID you are right.

But when it comes time to identify yourself you need one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration