U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 08:37 PM

11,932 posts, read 14,427,097 times

Advertisements

A case can be made for temporary work visas for agricultural workers, but not looking the other way while illegals work. And let's keep them out of construction. There are millions of legal residents willing to do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2011, 09:42 PM

2,542 posts, read 3,536,675 times
because the're all racist I guess..

Old 09-13-2011, 09:46 PM

4,896 posts, read 5,884,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isitmeorarethingsnuts? View Post
Unfortunately you are only looking at farm workers.

My neighbors kid just graduated from college to do landscaping.

Many of my friends have worked in the construction industry.

Where I travel the most frequently all the housekeeps and restaurant workers are caucasian, maybe not legal though.

I live in farm country. The kids around here earn money for college mowing lawns and doing farm work. My daughter in law is currently sorting corn. She says most of the people she works with are mothers of her kids friends.

My brother in law raised a family of 4 kids, with 1 income, working in a packing house. Now those jobs pay minimum wage and are nearly entirely Hispanic. The company says they use E Verify....but we have had 7 cases of Fraudulent SS#'s this year. At least they are coming down hard on them. They are being held on $500,000 bond and $750,000 if there are other charges to go along with it.

It is BS that Americans won't do this work. We've been doing it for years.
They just might want the wages that they used to make. And the business owners that took part in breaking the law need to realize that the taxpayers are tired of subsidizing their low wages with taxpayer subsidies. Prices didn't go DOWN when they started this illegal practice. There shouldn't be scare tactics to suggest that they would suddenly skyrocket either.
I live in what used to be the fruit belt of Central Fl. My folks quit farming in the early 1940's because of the hard times and came south for work. They started out picking fruit, cutting fern in the swamps for florists and nurseries, anything they could. Most subsequently moved on to the packing houses and other relatively low paying, unskilled jobs but it was better than picking fruit. The point is, they worked to feed their families at whatever they had to. Working in a packing house, grading and packing fruit was hard work. I have seen those women, standing at a grading belt and their hands were blue with the cold. They would be on their feet, 10-12 hours a day during season....and longer hours if a freeze was coming or an embargo was on.....those people worked in those jobs for 30-40 and one woman, 50 years and they didn't have a pension. But, they saved money, bought homes and they looked forward to their social security benefits and that is what they lived on once they had to leave the workforce....

I had my tonsils out and many cuts and abrasions tended to by a county hospital here in my area. It only closed a few years ago. As time went on and we became a little more financially sound, we didn't need it but, we always donated to that hospital and it was funded by a penny sales tax.

Cut out welfare, except for children of Americans. Take away the birthright clause in the Constitution that has been abused. We should try and get back to a work ethic that my parents generation had and they instilled it in me and I hope I did in my children, I think I did. I am a little worrried about the grandkids.....LOL.

Old 09-13-2011, 10:31 PM

6,941 posts, read 11,731,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
I've talked to a legal migrant worker. He told me Americans would not do the work in agriculture. They would rather be in prison. The work is harsh. Americans will never do that type of work for hours for minimum wage.

US Farmers Depend on Illegal Immigrants | USA | English
Bald face lie that the liberals want you to believe. Americans have done and can do this type of work. But why should they when the government extends unemployment benefits forever????????

Old 09-13-2011, 10:33 PM

6,941 posts, read 11,731,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
A case can be made for temporary work visas for agricultural workers, but not looking the other way while illegals work. And let's keep them out of construction. There are millions of legal residents willing to do it.

No, it can't be. Cut off unemployment benefits and you'll suddenly find thousands of Americans that will want to be fruit pickers. I've done it.

Old 09-13-2011, 10:36 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,240,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackTheRipper View Post
Yes of course. Your average American can do Agricultural jobs pffff give me a break.

They won't even last 2 days on the sun.
Proof please.

Old 09-13-2011, 10:37 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,240,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
No, it can't be. Cut off unemployment benefits and you'll suddenly find thousands of Americans that will want to be fruit pickers. I've done it.
An your right.

Old 09-14-2011, 01:51 AM

15,924 posts, read 16,895,026 times
obama needa votes and house cleaners, that's why their doing nothing.

Old 09-14-2011, 06:36 AM

11,102 posts, read 12,826,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
obama needa votes and house cleaners, that's why their doing nothing.
How soon some forget that it was Reagan who gave out amnesty to illegals and Mccain(along with Kennedy) who wrote a co-sponsored bill to basically give them the rest of the country....You can blame Obama for enough mistakes without having to lie/spread more teabag propaganda to do it.

Old 09-14-2011, 08:20 AM

14,307 posts, read 11,168,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
Bald face lie that the liberals want you to believe. Americans have done and can do this type of work. But why should they when the government extends unemployment benefits forever????????
Actually, they don't extend unemployment benefits forever. I know a few Americans who lost their benefits after two years. The thing is that their unemployment paid more than picking crops and they don't live in rural areas so why should they take less and drive a ridiculous number of miles to get to the farmlands? Most of them are middle aged and can't do that kind of work anyway.

There are unlimited H-2A visas for agricultural workers so the farmers have no excuse to cry that their crops are rotting in the fields.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or