U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 03:44 PM

6,863 posts, read 7,716,039 times

Advertisements

They want to keep the status quo. Contractors in some industries like illegal immigrants because they can hire them to maximize profits. The average American requires a liveable wage in order to sustain a quality of life.

If out country gets rid of illegals, expect the prices of fruits and vegetables to go up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2011, 03:52 PM

6,906 posts, read 11,692,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
They want to keep the status quo. Contractors in some industries like illegal immigrants because they can hire them to maximize profits. The average American requires a liveable wage in order to sustain a quality of life.

If out country gets rid of illegals, expect the prices of fruits and vegetables to go up.

That's where you wrong. The government constantly extends unemployment benefits. There is no reason for the unemployed to go back to work. NONE!!! If the government put an end to this many millions of Americans would HAVE to go back to work.

They'd be after the very jobs the illegals are doing. Prices won't go up because employers won't have to raise wages because the demand for jobs will be greater then the number of jobs that are vacant.

People will be glad to pick apples or lettuce for minimum wage. It's either that or they'll go hungry. It's happened before in our country during the great depression and the dust bowl. It's fixing to happen again.

Old 09-13-2011, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
That's where you wrong. The government constantly extends unemployment benefits. There is no reason for the unemployed to go back to work. NONE!!! If the government put an end to this many millions of Americans would HAVE to go back to work.

They'd be after the very jobs the illegals are doing. Prices won't go up because employers won't have to raise wages because the demand for jobs will be greater then the number of jobs that are vacant.

People will be glad to pick apples or lettuce for minimum wage. It's either that or they'll go hungry. It's happened before in our country during the great depression and the dust bowl. It's fixing to happen again.

I've talked to a legal migrant worker. He told me Americans would not do the work in agriculture. They would rather be in prison. The work is harsh. Americans will never do that type of work for hours for minimum wage. The demand for these products require lots of time and man power. Americans would not do these jobs in the sun for such low pay. The prices of agriculture good will go up exponentially if Americans work these fields.

Milton Friedman said that Americans won't do these jobs because they have opportunities for jobs that pay higher.

Quote:
With U.S. unemployment near 10 percent, many believe illegal immigrants are taking jobs from Americans. But when the United Farm Workers union launched a campaign offering to connect unemployed people to farm jobs, only three people accepted -- out of thousands of inquiries.

Union president Arturo Rodriguez says most balked at the difficult working conditions.

"They really don't have any idea what it is to work in agriculture today," he says. "We've just gotten so far away from that type of society that people have forgotten."

US Farmers Depend on Illegal Immigrants | USA | English

Old 09-13-2011, 04:35 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,809,199 times
Quote:
I've talked to a legal migrant worker. He told me Americans would not do the work in agriculture. They would rather be in prison. The work is harsh. Americans will never do that type of work for hours for minimum wage. The demand for these products require lots of time and man power. Americans would not do these jobs in the sun for such low pay. The prices of agriculture good will go up exponentially if Americans work these fields.

Milton Friedman said that Americans won't do these jobs because they have opportunities for jobs that pay higher.

Only an estimated 25% of ag workers are illegal aliens. So, clearly, Americans can and will do those jobs.

Old 09-13-2011, 04:37 PM

3,204 posts, read 2,383,305 times
Quote:

Unfortunately you are only looking at farm workers.

My neighbors kid just graduated from college to do landscaping.

Many of my friends have worked in the construction industry.

Where I travel the most frequently all the housekeeps and restaurant workers are caucasian, maybe not legal though.

I live in farm country. The kids around here earn money for college mowing lawns and doing farm work. My daughter in law is currently sorting corn. She says most of the people she works with are mothers of her kids friends.

My brother in law raised a family of 4 kids, with 1 income, working in a packing house. Now those jobs pay minimum wage and are nearly entirely Hispanic. The company says they use E Verify....but we have had 7 cases of Fraudulent SS#'s this year. At least they are coming down hard on them. They are being held on $500,000 bond and $750,000 if there are other charges to go along with it.

It is BS that Americans won't do this work. We've been doing it for years.
They just might want the wages that they used to make. And the business owners that took part in breaking the law need to realize that the taxpayers are tired of subsidizing their low wages with taxpayer subsidies. Prices didn't go DOWN when they started this illegal practice. There shouldn't be scare tactics to suggest that they would suddenly skyrocket either.

Old 09-13-2011, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Only an estimated 25% of ag workers are illegal aliens. So, clearly, Americans can and will do those jobs.

Are these the jobs with harsh conditions?

Old 09-13-2011, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isitmeorarethingsnuts? View Post
Unfortunately you are only looking at farm workers.

My neighbors kid just graduated from college to do landscaping.

Many of my friends have worked in the construction industry.

Where I travel the most frequently all the housekeeps and restaurant workers are caucasian, maybe not legal though.

I live in farm country. The kids around here earn money for college mowing lawns and doing farm work. My daughter in law is currently sorting corn. She says most of the people she works with are mothers of her kids friends.

My brother in law raised a family of 4 kids, with 1 income, working in a packing house. Now those jobs pay minimum wage and are nearly entirely Hispanic. The company says they use E Verify....but we have had 7 cases of Fraudulent SS#'s this year. At least they are coming down hard on them. They are being held on $500,000 bond and $750,000 if there are other charges to go along with it.

It is BS that Americans won't do this work. We've been doing it for years.
They just might want the wages that they used to make. And the business owners that took part in breaking the law need to realize that the taxpayers are tired of subsidizing their low wages with taxpayer subsidies. Prices didn't go DOWN when they started this illegal practice. There shouldn't be scare tactics to suggest that they would suddenly skyrocket either.

So why are contractors hiring illegals then?

Old 09-13-2011, 05:06 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,146,155 times
Quote:
So why are contractors hiring illegals then?
Geez, it is obvious, isn't it? They are hiring illegals to increase their profits. They aren't passing any of these savings on to us rather they are passing their social costs on to us.

Old 09-13-2011, 07:13 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,237,724 times
Quote:

Time to test it out

Besides; less than 5 per cent of illegal aliens are in ag work. Def the rest can go home an it wont hurt us one bit.

Old 09-13-2011, 07:34 PM

5,411 posts, read 6,212,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Yes of course. Your average American can do Agricultural jobs pffff give me a break.

They won't even last 2 days on the sun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or