U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 08:10 AM

20,310 posts, read 18,902,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Last year I had a new roof put on my house. It cost just about $10,000. I had asked the contractor if he used local help before I gave him the bid and my 50% down payment. He told me yes; that he did use local help. Our economy was not good and I wanted my money to help our local economy.

When the crew showed up only one of the seven workers spoke English. They did work hard and without breaks. But; that was not where I wanted my money to go. I did not want some of my money shipped out of our country. That was counter productive to improving our economy.

There are other issues besides where my money went. Such as companies that prosper because they do not pay prevailing wages or they don’t report the wages they did pay or all the employees that work. Then you have safety, environmental issues and all the gains American workers have made over the years.
At that point i would have called the contractor and requested to see green cards or ID on every worker. If he couldn't or wouldnt he would be off the job but not until after I called the police, and ICE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2011, 09:32 AM

15,179 posts, read 15,827,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjwebbster View Post
Damn, that sounds great, but, I'll bet bet Obama
finds some way to stop it. Gotta keep the La Raza
crowd happy you know.
I couldn’t agree more. La Raza has fought E-Verify tooth and nail. So, even if it passes Congress, they’ll demand a veto from their lapdog Obama. Any measure that has even a minuscule chance of preventing illegals from working will be shot down by our pandering president.

Old 09-15-2011, 09:53 AM

9,818 posts, read 7,676,370 times
If you need more info on the bill go to Numbers USA. Roy Beck has excellent info.

When I needed my house painted, I called the union hall for a painter in my area so as not to get illegals. All the guys on my job were legal. Trouble was the company owner hired guys who had had their drivers license suspended due to DWI's, etc. He had a driver pick them up. He paid some of them less than minimum wage. It was almost slavery. Don't know which was worse, union painting company or illegals.

Old 09-15-2011, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
If you need more info on the bill go to Numbers USA. Roy Beck has excellent info.

When I needed my house painted, I called the union hall for a painter in my area so as not to get illegals. All the guys on my job were legal. Trouble was the company owner hired guys who had had their drivers license suspended due to DWI's, etc. He had a driver pick them up. He paid some of them less than minimum wage. It was almost slavery. Don't know which was worse, union painting company or illegals.
Sadly, today, illegals are union members, particularly, the service industry. This is precisely why so many unions are seen participating in “immigrant” marches, and advocating for so-called Comprehensive Immigration Reform (amnesty).

Old 09-15-2011, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Sadly, today, illegals are union members, particularly, the service industry. This is precisely why so many unions are seen participating in “immigrant” marches, and advocating for so-called Comprehensive Immigration Reform (amnesty).
The irony is that unions are supporting scabs. LOL

Old 09-15-2011, 10:24 AM

1,569 posts, read 1,006,511 times
Quote:
What unions (or segments of the service industry) are you referring to?

Old 09-15-2011, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmadinejad View Post
What unions (or segments of the service industry) are you referring to?
C’mon, you haven’t seen union presence at EVERY so-called immigration march? One of the most vociferous supporters of CIR is SEIU.

SEIU - Service Employees International Union - immigration

Old 09-15-2011, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
The irony is that unions are supporting scabs. LOL
Yep. Apparently scab dues is better than no dues.

Old 09-15-2011, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Yep. Apparently scab dues is better than no dues.
ROFLMAO..........
Well the unions have lost a great deal of ground and membership. In bed with organized crime, corruption abounds within the senior ranks gee I wonder why.

Old 09-15-2011, 10:47 AM

55,237 posts, read 72,496,636 times
good post but so many people are working underwater here that it should be called "water world".
its a net yes, but with very very big holes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration