U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 10:52 AM

13,118 posts, read 10,560,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
At that point i would have called the contractor and requested to see green cards or ID on every worker. If he couldn't or wouldnt he would be off the job but not until after I called the police, and ICE.
It wasn’t that easy. The contractor had $5,000 of my money. I had the new shingles in my driveway. And; I did not know that most of the workers did not speak English until most of the work was done.
Would it be stereotyping to ask for green cards just because I had my suspicions? The contractor has a location not too far from my house. We have kept a close eye on him since my roof was finished. I have also been vocal about my roof online.

With our economic downturn our legal minorities have been hit the hardest with unemployment. This is one of the reasons why our legal immigrants take a harsh stand against illegal immigration - they are the ones out of work.

I also am retired - but I work part time for a large pharmaceutical company. Their outsourced cleaning crew is almost all Hispanics. I could understand that if I lived in NM or one of our boarder states. I don’t - I live two thousand miles away from the boarder. I am presuming that most of the cleaning crew are legal Americans - but I don’t know. I do know that the number of illegal immigrants is at an historic high. By not curtailing illegal immigration; legal Americans suspect everybody.

I whole hardheartedly support any E-Verify legislation and hope that it helps rid of country of any uncertainty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2011, 03:39 PM

20,310 posts, read 18,878,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
It wasn’t that easy. The contractor had $5,000 of my money. I had the new shingles in my driveway. And; I did not know that most of the workers did not speak English until most of the work was done.
Would it be stereotyping to ask for green cards just because I had my suspicions? The contractor has a location not too far from my house. We have kept a close eye on him since my roof was finished. I have also been vocal about my roof online.

With our economic downturn our legal minorities have been hit the hardest with unemployment. This is one of the reasons why our legal immigrants take a harsh stand against illegal immigration - they are the ones out of work.

I also am retired - but I work part time for a large pharmaceutical company. Their outsourced cleaning crew is almost all Hispanics. I could understand that if I lived in NM or one of our boarder states. I don’t - I live two thousand miles away from the boarder. I am presuming that most of the cleaning crew are legal Americans - but I don’t know. I do know that the number of illegal immigrants is at an historic high. By not curtailing illegal immigration; legal Americans suspect everybody.

I whole hardheartedly support any E-Verify legislation and hope that it helps rid of country of any uncertainty.
My friend I would have called the law on this contractor. He entered into an agreement verbally to use local and legal labor. I am not faulting you. You are the victim.
When I built my house the mason who was contracted through the builder showed up on the job with hispanics none of whom spoke english. I asked to see green cards. The contractor fumbled with excuses. I said either i see the cards or he's off the job. He couldnt produce. I called the police and ICE. The replacment contractor cost me a whopping 100 dollars more. So much for the cost savings are passed on to the consumer.

Old 09-15-2011, 03:43 PM

1,460 posts, read 1,610,382 times
Current laws aren't being enforced regarding illegals, this will be no different...its lip service, nothing more.

Old 09-16-2011, 09:23 AM

9,778 posts, read 7,644,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madd love View Post
We shall see whos side the president is on.
Looks like it might not make it. It will not be done in by Dems. Just like the bill in Texas was very near passing. The Bob Perry stepped in for the "business" community and stopped it in its tracks. Same thing in DC. It will be stopped by the Chamber of Commerce and big money who want cheap labor. This time, the California growers want field hands.

Old 09-16-2011, 09:54 AM

1,569 posts, read 1,005,007 times
lol, again with that argument - super rich people do not care whether manual labor costs 6 bucks or 9. They can afford both.

Old 09-16-2011, 10:05 AM

403 posts, read 280,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmadinejad View Post
lol, again with that argument - super rich people do not care whether manual labor costs 6 bucks or 9. They can afford both.
Naw man, don't you see??? They're in bed with LaRaza. They've made a deal to ensure that we have to press 1 for English, eat enchiladas, and to subvert '1st world culture' in exchange for an army of cheap lawn guys.

Old 09-16-2011, 10:07 AM

1,574 posts, read 788,760 times
Well the joke's on THEM because we have Chicagonut's enchilada recipe, so we DON'T NEED THEM ANYMORE.

Old 09-21-2011, 05:51 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,144,640 times
Update:

DATE: 3 p.m. EDT, Wednesday, 21SEP201

JUDICIARY COMMITTEE JUST DEFEATED THE POISON PILL AMENDMENT DESIGNED TO KILL MANDATORY E-VERIFY FOR THE REST OF THIS CONGRESS

PROBABLY THE MOST IMPORTANT VICTORY TODAY

By a vote of 18-16, the U.S. House Judiciary Committee defeated an amendment by amnesty-champion Rep. Zoe Lofgren (D-Calif.) to eliminate the state preemption language in the mandatory E-Verify bill.
http://www.numbersusa.tv/

Old 09-21-2011, 07:13 PM

3,951 posts, read 3,581,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjwebbster View Post
Damn, that sounds great, but, I'll bet bet Obama
finds some way to stop it. Gotta keep the La Raza
crowd happy you know.
Their excuse has always been: it's not accurate enough and would cause issues for those legally able to work. Blah, blah, blah. If I go into a job as a legal resident and can't get it because of some glitch in E-Verify then I will accept that if I know that I am a rare case of that happening, but millions of legal residents ARE getting a job instead of an illegal immigrant.

Old 09-21-2011, 08:04 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,144,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoEdible View Post
Their excuse has always been: it's not accurate enough and would cause issues for those legally able to work. Blah, blah, blah. If I go into a job as a legal resident and can't get it because of some glitch in E-Verify then I will accept that if I know that I am a rare case of that happening, but millions of legal residents ARE getting a job instead of an illegal immigrant.
Actually, there will be a fair amount of time allotted to the prospective employee to clear up those discrepancies. It shouldn't be hard to do if you are a legitimate worker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration