Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2011, 06:39 AM

3,078 posts, read 4,373,525 times

Advertisements

Yes to my thinking that was the first and worst mistake they made - overstaying that 90 day initial entry. She should have either gone back to Germany and gotten an immigrant visa from one of the consulates there OR taken care of it while in the US. If they had done that within the initial 90 day timeframe then more than likely there would have been no problem. If she had been in Germany there would have been no time limit as far as Immigration was concerned.

So she was redflagged and they stopped her at the border the next time she wanted in. However the officials let her in anyway. That to my thinking also was not quite right on their part. They should have informed her that the initial overstay was going to cause problems and tell her she was better off going back to Germany and getting her ducks in a row before trying to come back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2011, 07:32 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,312,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Why be outraged? Didn't the article say the couple was now in Germany? Once an illegal is returned home, there's no real good reason to stay outraged at them.

In this case it seems the laws were applied, and the couple is grumbling, and it also seem they have a real marriage, not one just for the green card since the husband seems willing enough to be with her even if it means they aren't in the USA.

When the couple can ONLY be together if they are in the USA, that's a big red flag as real love can exist anywhere and the couple makes vows that say "for better for worse" and all that.
Totally agree with all of your comments, malamute. What I am outraged about is those illegals that are caught but are allowed to remain here like Obama's latest back door amnesty for the 300,000. We should be more outraged about this illegal that was returned to her homeland and rightly so? Mistakes are made but some want to make it about skin color/race or nationality.

Last edited by chicagonut; 09-17-2011 at 07:41 AM..

Old 09-17-2011, 08:16 AM

5,299 posts, read 4,845,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
...Mistakes are made but some want to make it about skin color/race or nationality.
Customs officer that admits a Foreign National on a fraudulent visa: "Mistake"

Customs officer that readmits Foreign National after fraudulent visa overstay: "Mistake"

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
...Mexicans and other illegals need to return to their homelands, not be given a pass for not following the rules.
"Not about skin color/race or nationality"

Old 09-17-2011, 08:23 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,821,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
We have seen posted in this forum that only brown skinned illegals face deportation or a difficult path. We have also seen it stated that those who marry a citizen have the easy path. Not true.
Veteran says U.S.
This is what happens when you skip steps or try to cheat the system regardless of race, regardless of ethnic background and regardless of type of VISA you apply for.
Immigration reform should be about simplifying and streamlining the process. Not lowering standards, and not free passes.
The immigrant in question is a German national. She also had a small business and was active in her community. Not the stereotypical illegal.
Can we now put to bed the racism from both sides?
It is a true hardship story. A vet a disabled firefighter and a good woman who became a criminal to stay. Due to her choice and that of her husband she faces deportation and possibly never be allowed to re-enter again.
That is because she did not jump the southern border and get some forged documents.

Old 09-17-2011, 08:46 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,668,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
Read the comments on the Yahoo article, the vast majority think the couple did nothing wrong. I´m still wondering if you´ve ever been in a marriage, your definitions of what makes it legitimate are often convoluted. The couple did give away the secrets of the misrepped visa scam (better than your ¨Portal¨, as there is no money involved, or pesky health screenings), so it is going to be hard for me to believe some European spouses have come legally now.

No one here wants to field why a Customs officer would let a person with an invalid, fraudulently obtained, visa into the United States? They even readmitted her a second time, when they knew she was in violation of immigration law. You guys act like you can drive a truck through the Mexican border, but you could fly a plane through the East Coast Port of Entries.

Personally I´m going to blame Obama for it, and I won´t even call him ¨President¨...
Legitimate marriages based on love are not all that convoluted. When the relationship starts in another country or when a foreigner is here legally and happens to fall in love and even has a tough time deciding what to do because staying here wasn't in the plans and there are tough decisions to make, it's likely a real marriage. A couple I know met in Germany when he was stationed there and it's a tough decision for both at times on which country they should live in, she misses Germany and her family, and it's possible they will return to her land at some point.

It's a whole lot more iffy as far as the legitimacy of a marriage when someone stands a good chance of being deported or not being allowed to come here UNLESS they find some US citizen to marry and the ONLY option for the couple is to live together in the USA, if the spouse ends up deported, the marriage is essentially over or the couple separates.

One of the fathers of my kid's friends got deported after a third DWI. The mother and kids are staying here, they get food stamps and WIC and all the rest so have no intention of joining him, but they go over and visit with dear old dad every Sunday. His wife says he had a drinking problem and it's better this way because he's sober on Sunday so he's okay to be around and his drinking was causing the family some problems so in that case the drinking may also be a factor but you can bet the government services also mean more to her than the husband ever did.

And yes, sometimes the spouses of the deported actually do love them and even see it as a chance to learn of the other country, some decide they like it there enough to stay, others will abide by the laws and come back when they legally can -- but as a couple.

Old 09-17-2011, 08:51 AM

Quote:

Customs officer that readmits Foreign National after fraudulent visa overstay: "Mistake"

Yet you posted some tear-jerking story about some guy named Uzo or something like that who was a visa overstay and you were quite sympathetic toward him, quite different than you are with this German lady.

Not me, I think it's fine for the couple in either case to follow the laws and even live in the other country for a while why they do so.

I also believe immigration in this day and age should be more of a give and take, somewhat equal and two-way. If x number of Americans move to Canada and x number of Canadians move here - it's one thing, but if x number of Americans move to some country but xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx number from that country come here, it's something completely out-of-balance.

Old 09-17-2011, 08:56 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,312,858 times
Quote:

What do you call it if not a mistake? I would bet in your mind it is about discrimination against brown skinned Mexicans. You might want to put that victim mentality card for Mexicans away in your wallet and as I said, "move on". Your family is here now and no sense in living in the past. I imagine those "mistakes"aren't made often even though they shouldn't be occuring at all.

Last edited by chicagonut; 09-17-2011 at 09:07 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 09-17-2011, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Yet you posted some tear-jerking story about some guy named Uzo or something like that who was a visa overstay and you were quite sympathetic toward him, quite different than you are with this German lady...
1,) Uzo came on a Student Visa, without "immigrant intent"

2.) The visa was not obtained fraudulently, and was used appropriately

3.) Uzo went out of status by missing a semester of school when his father died

4.) Uzo finished the degree plan he originally started on the Student Visa

5.) Uzo married a U.S. citizen

6.) Uzo was deported for his visa overstay

7.) Uzo's wife filed an I-601 waiver, and he was readmitted as a Legal Permanent Resident, the status that he has today

8.) The responses I have heard for Uzo are more critical than this fraudulent-entry/readmitted illegal alien from Germany

Customs and Border Protection officers didn't follow their own policies to re-admit her after a visa overstay...

Old 09-17-2011, 09:31 AM

Quote:
1,) 8.) The responses I have heard for Uzo are more critical than this fraudulent-entry/readmitted illegal alien from Germany
Maybe because the law for this illegal is being followed and she's back home?

What's the point of slamming a German citizen over and over who is back living in Germany with her US citiizen husband? She's home, end of story. Uzo apparently got a green card marriage that allowed him to come back here after he didn't follow the laws Yes green card marriages save many from being deported, and the couple has no intention of remaining together without that permission to stay in the USA.

Notice the husband of this former German illegal actually loves her enough to live in Germany with her?

Old 09-17-2011, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalYankee View Post
Yes to my thinking that was the first and worst mistake they made - overstaying that 90 day initial entry. She should have either gone back to Germany and gotten an immigrant visa from one of the consulates there OR taken care of it while in the US. If they had done that within the initial 90 day timeframe then more than likely there would have been no problem. If she had been in Germany there would have been no time limit as far as Immigration was concerned.

So she was redflagged and they stopped her at the border the next time she wanted in. However the officials let her in anyway. That to my thinking also was not quite right on their part. They should have informed her that the initial overstay was going to cause problems and tell her she was better off going back to Germany and getting her ducks in a row before trying to come back.
Contrary to the information in the article (which identifies the initial entry was on a Tourist Visa) you continue to state the terms of the Visa Waiver Program. The spouse of a U.S. citizen cannot qualify for a Tourist Visa; Marriage to a U.S. citizen is defined to be "immigrant intent". Likewise, the terms of the Visa Waiver Program are for a limited, non-immigrant period of time, marriage to a U.S. citizen disqualifies someone from using the VWP.

The first mistake was fraudulently applying for a Tourist Visa at the U.S. Consulate rather than obtaining the easily qualified Immigrant Visa. She would have gone through the required health screenings, and the couple would have paid much less in the end. Now she has a 3-year ban (from her illegal presence during the visa overstay), frankly quite lucky that the Misrepresentation charge was not added in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration