U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 05:25 PM

20,310 posts, read 18,881,481 times

Advertisements

We have seen posted in this forum that only brown skinned illegals face deportation or a difficult path. We have also seen it stated that those who marry a citizen have the easy path. Not true.
Veteran says U.S.
This is what happens when you skip steps or try to cheat the system regardless of race, regardless of ethnic background and regardless of type of VISA you apply for.
Immigration reform should be about simplifying and streamlining the process. Not lowering standards, and not free passes.
The immigrant in question is a German national. She also had a small business and was active in her community. Not the stereotypical illegal.
Can we now put to bed the racism from both sides?
It is a true hardship story. A vet a disabled firefighter and a good woman who became a criminal to stay. Due to her choice and that of her husband she faces deportation and possibly never be allowed to re-enter again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2011, 05:30 PM

4,828 posts, read 6,790,161 times
Comprehensive immigration reform would have done just that.

Quote:
Immigration reform should be about simplifying and streamlining the process

Old 09-14-2011, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
That depends. Would it also lower our standards?

Old 09-14-2011, 05:41 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,146,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
I am all for streamling and expedititing paperwork for legal immigrants but CIR isn't just about that. It is about legalizing millions of illegal aliens here in our country. That isn't "reform" and it is not in the best interests of our country and its citizens.

Old 09-14-2011, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
I am all for streamling and expedititing paperwork for legal immigrants but CIR isn't just about that. It is about legalizing millions of illegal aliens here in our country. That isn't "reform" and it is not in the best interests of our country and its citizens.
You are correct. legalizing millions of illegals is not the right answer because for 1 it rewards criminal behavior and for another it would be an injustice to all who did it the right way and those currently waiting for approval.

Old 09-14-2011, 06:33 PM

5,302 posts, read 4,010,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
...Not lowering standards, and not free passes.
The immigrant in question is a German national. She also had a small business and was active in her community. Not the stereotypical illegal.
Can we now put to bed the racism from both sides?
It depends on what you call a ¨stereotypical illegal¨...

She fraudulently entered on a Tourist Visa (marriage to a U.S. citizen is immigrant intent). That visa was overstayed. If they didn´t provide work authorization with her parole, she would have been working illegally.

The couple had an opportunity to do things the correct way. He has demonstrated he is able to live in her home country, as well as any other primitive conditions. Let´s not forget in the past we have heard it argued here that she shouldn´t have an opportunity to stay to await any day in immigration court.

Quote:
...It is a true hardship story. A vet a disabled firefighter and a good woman who became a criminal to stay. Due to her choice and that of her husband she faces deportation and possibly never be allowed to re-enter again.
No, she can serve out the three-year bar in her home country. She has a chance to come back legally later. You are asking for her to be given a personal amnesty ahead of others ¨waiting in line¨ to come legally, and not to have any consequences for her actions.

Illegal is illegal!...

Old 09-14-2011, 06:36 PM

Quote:
You are correct. legalizing millions of illegals is not the right answer because for 1 it rewards criminal behavior and for another it would be an injustice to all who did it the right way and those currently waiting for approval.
Legalizing even one sets the wrong example against the ¨Rule of Law¨...

You are attempting to put Obama in a situation of an ¨amnesty¨ while he is President...

Old 09-14-2011, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post

She fraudulently entered on a Tourist Visa (marriage to a U.S. citizen is immigrant intent). That visa was overstayed. If they didn´t provide work authorization with her parole, she would have been working illegally.

The couple had an opportunity to do things the correct way. He has demonstrated he is able to live in her home country, as well as any other primitive conditions. Let´s not forget in the past we have heard it argued here that she shouldn´t have an opportunity to stay to await any day in immigration court.

No, she can serve out the three-year bar in her home country. She has a chance to come back legally later. You are asking for her to be given a personal amnesty ahead of others ¨waiting in line¨ to come legally, and not to have any consequences for her actions.

Illegal is illegal!...
wow. I said she should be given amnesty? PLease please show me where. Not only did I not say that but never eluded to such.
The stereo typical illegal is in fact a border jumper and you know this. When people think of illegals the first thought is someone who crossed illegally because that in fact is the vast majority.
As I said to begin with. They cheated the system, overstayed a VISA and screwed it up.
She further complicated the problem by running an illegal business.
And yes anyd black mark on your record can prevent you from ever being approved. many have applied but once turned down face a much greater challenge to ever be approved.
The whole point of this thread was to demonstrate its not as some posters claim just brown skinned people who face accountability for illegal immigration and its not just brown skinned people who do it.
And I never not once stated that she deserves a pass nor do I believe that she does. This is another sob story meant to garner sympathy for those who ignore the law.
They claim thousands in fees and that is less than true. Perhaps now it will be. The fact that her husband had to scrape together enough to simply move here tells me that he might not have qualified for sponsoring her.
When I sponsored my wife I had to show proof that I could support my wife.
In short they cheated. In short she deserves to be deported.

Old 09-14-2011, 07:01 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,146,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post

Illegal is illegal!...
I agree. She should get no special treatment. Illegal is illegal? Wish you would heed your own words when it comes to Mexicans.

Old 09-14-2011, 07:02 PM

Quote:
...The stereo typical illegal is in fact a border jumper and you know this. When people think of illegals the first thought is someone who crossed illegally because that in fact is the vast majority...
40% of illegal immigrants are from visa overstays...

How were they able to get in fraudulently in the first place?...

And she thought she would get in a second time...

Why did they even parole her?...

He has a chance to submit an I-601 waiver for his wife, but feels he is ¨betrayed¨ for not wanting to spend the money?...

I guess her dental work is more important...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration