U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2011, 09:32 PM

4,267 posts, read 7,883,469 times

Advertisements

Are there any other sources (maybe of major news sites and/or newspapers) that talk about the deal and its terms?

My preliminary thoughts are that perhaps the DOL thinks that there would be less benefit to giving job training to the sectors of Americans that compete for jobs with low-skilled immigrants/temp residents versus giving language traning to those low-skilled immigrants/temp residents
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2011, 09:04 AM

47,576 posts, read 58,690,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicman View Post
Are there any other sources (maybe of major news sites and/or newspapers) that talk about the deal and its terms?

My preliminary thoughts are that perhaps the DOL thinks that there would be less benefit to giving job training to the sectors of Americans that compete for jobs with low-skilled immigrants/temp residents versus giving language traning to those low-skilled immigrants/temp residents
What does it say about a government that has turned it's back on it's own citizens and instead spends their tax dollars on foreigners and bringing in millions of foreigners to take what few jobs are out there.

They can't argue that we need these dirt cheap uneducated workers to come and do the lowly jobs no Americans wants to do but then turn around and claim we must spend many millions of dollars educating them so they can take the good jobs instead.

Old 09-18-2011, 11:35 AM

I think what the line of thought is, is that if the US overall benefits, then it's okay to bring in foreigners, even if a few Americans are thrown under the bus. They believe it's better to not cater to uneducated Americans and drag the rest of the country down with them.

What jobs that illegals frequently take are considered "good jobs"?

I would imagine that the foreign education programs are probably meant to only teach basic skills. It's very very difficult for somebody born in rural poverty in Latin America, someone who received inadequate education, to then rise up in the United States. He/she would have to rely on his/her kids to do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
What does it say about a government that has turned it's back on it's own citizens and instead spends their tax dollars on foreigners and bringing in millions of foreigners to take what few jobs are out there.

They can't argue that we need these dirt cheap uneducated workers to come and do the lowly jobs no Americans wants to do but then turn around and claim we must spend many millions of dollars educating them so they can take the good jobs instead.

Old 09-18-2011, 11:40 AM

Quote:
I think what the line of thought is, is that if the US overall benefits, then it's okay to bring in foreigners, even if a few Americans are thrown under the bus. They believe it's better to not cater to uneducated Americans and drag the rest of the country down with them.

What jobs that illegals frequently take are considered "good jobs"?

I would imagine that the foreign education programs are probably meant to only teach basic skills. It's very very difficult for somebody born in rural poverty in Latin America, someone who received inadequate education, to then rise up in the United States. He/she would have to rely on his/her kids to do that.
And exactly why should the government abandon our own inadequately educated American citizens to spend the money instead on inadequately educated foreigners? Do you believe the US government believes the foreigners are superior to American citizens? And why would they be?

Old 09-18-2011, 01:20 PM

29,580 posts, read 31,900,225 times
I can't find the bill. I can't find anything that say's this is for illegal hispanics. Basically, there is nothing to comment on.

Old 09-18-2011, 03:34 PM

It's a matter of the argument of "the country as a whole/overall benefits if we bring in foreigners and throw some Americans under a bus"

If, say, those low skilled Americans want to challenge that line of thought, the best they can do is try to demonstrate how the country as a whole/overall would be worse off.

"Do you believe the US government believes the foreigners are superior to American citizens?"
I would imagine that the federal and state governments believe that, in two ways:
* Educated foreigners - more educated than some native born Americans, and could bring in innovation that wasn't homegrown. After all Einstein came from abroad and his work helped the US make the nuclear bomb
* Uneducated foreigners - work for less money than native-born Americans (Why illegals stick around)

In terms of legal immigration, if one doesn't already have family legally in the USA, it is FAR easier for wealthy and/or well educated people to get visas and green cards than uneducated and poor people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
And exactly why should the government abandon our own inadequately educated American citizens to spend the money instead on inadequately educated foreigners? Do you believe the US government believes the foreigners are superior to American citizens? And why would they be?

Old 09-18-2011, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I can't find the bill. I can't find anything that say's this is for illegal hispanics. Basically, there is nothing to comment on.
Work sponsored immigrants shouldn't require millions of federal dollars to be educated. And family sponsored immigrants should have their sponsor providing for any education and other costs. Althoough there is a misconception that family sponsors must provide for their immigrants, because very often they don't pay anything for them and they quickly become taxpayer burdens.

Old 09-18-2011, 03:45 PM

Quote:
It's a matter of the argument of "the country as a whole/overall benefits if we bring in foreigners and throw some Americans under a bus"

If, say, those low skilled Americans want to challenge that line of thought, the best they can do is try to demonstrate how the country as a whole/overall would be worse off.

"Do you believe the US government believes the foreigners are superior to American citizens?"
I would imagine that the federal and state governments believe that, in two ways:
* Educated foreigners - more educated than some native born Americans, and could bring in innovation that wasn't homegrown. After all Einstein came from abroad and his work helped the US make the nuclear bomb
* Uneducated foreigners - work for less money than native-born Americans (Why illegals stick around)

In terms of legal immigration, if one doesn't already have family legally in the USA, it is FAR easier for wealthy and/or well educated people to get visas and green cards than uneducated and poor people.
I don't suspect this federal program is for the highly educated foreigners. It claims it's for the low-literacy hispanics. That pretty much means the family sponsored immigrants and the illegals.

Old 09-18-2011, 03:56 PM

20,892 posts, read 22,663,065 times
Quote:
U.S. spends $10.7 million to train "low literacy" Latinos
This is nothing compared to the ESL programs that spend nearly $30 billion on their kids.

Here's a link under the Bush watch.

Educating Children Of Illegal Aliens Costs $28.6 Billion Per Year : Diggers Realm

Old 09-18-2011, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilVA View Post
This is nothing compared to the ESL programs that spend nearly $30 billion on their kids.

Here's a link under the Bush watch.

Educating Children Of Illegal Aliens Costs $28.6 Billion Per Year : Diggers Realm
And because of Plyler v. Doe, I don't see that going away. Because education in the US is mandatory, kids who do not know English (and the illegal parents often don't know much Spanish either...) have more work to do than native English speakers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration