U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 08:31 AM

47,576 posts, read 58,711,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
You don't despise the culture, just feel that as a whole, it is "bad".
Mexico like the USA has it's subcultures, it's successful people and it's losers. In fact Mexico has a large and growing middle class. However it also has a subculture that is well known for irresponsible breeding, having many children they cannot afford, this subculture is heavy drinking, lacks good family values and you'll see them abandon wives and girlfriends with children at the drop of a hat. These people aren't making it in their own country and that's why we're getting them.

If anyone thinks we're getting real Mexican culture here, if they think they know Mexican culture by how the illegals are living, they are wrong. The way to experience Mexican culture is to live a while in Mexico. Live there, work there, study there, travel there - then you'll see Mexican culture.

Old 09-18-2011, 09:17 AM

4,827 posts, read 4,647,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicman View Post
Okay
Israel: Hebrew and Arabic
Finland: Finnish and Swedish
Hong Kong: Chinese and English
India: Hindi and English
Canada: English and French
(And there are probably more)

And don't forget "English as a foreign language" where many documents are printed in English for the benefit of foreigners. It's common for things to be printed in foreign languages for the benefit of foreigners.
So you are telling me those countries cater to foreigners who are in their country ILLEGALLY? I don't think so. Oh and Canada has 2 different languages because of the British and French colonization which happened centuries ago; not because of an influx of illegal aliens from France. The same goes for all the countries you listed.

Quote:
Then again most illegals aren't that political. They can't vote, and can't really afford to be.
I might be speculating here but in 2009 or 2010 (I cannot recall) non US citizens voted in the Colorado elections. Whether they were here illegally or not I don't know but what makes you think that illegals aren't voting? If those 5,000 somehow "got away" with it, how many illegals could have done the same...after all most states don't require prove of ID to vote - which never made sense to me in the first place. You should have to prove you are in this country legally to vote. (Funny how Democrats are the ones who oppose it and they always stand behind illegal aliens in this country. Is it mere coincidence? I don't think so.)

Oh and I have never heard "Press 2" for English (or any other language for that matter) when I lived in Brazil.

Old 09-18-2011, 09:46 AM

14,307 posts, read 11,149,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
I don't despise any culture, and am surprised that you would make that assumption. America is built upon Hispanic cultural roots, as you would know if you were familiar with our history.

Perhaps rather than devoting your time to our differences with this magnificent people, you should study all we owe to it.

I love and embrace all the cultures that have made America what it is today. We represent peoples from all over the globe and my life is enriched by their contributions.
No, the U.S. was not built on Hispanic cultural roots. I think it is you that needs to read some history. There was some Spanish influence in the southwest but that is all.

No problem with minority cultures that have contributed to our country. It is when one particular one wants to change the mainstream culture to theirs via illegal immigration is where the problem lays.

Old 09-18-2011, 09:51 AM

14,307 posts, read 11,149,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
the blunt truth (from an american) is that american culture is pathetic.

was talking with my friend at work, hardcore conservative, doesn't even have a TV in his house, because he doesn't want it to get into his kids heads. i brought up the illegal immigration topic.

we both came up with the general consensus that illegals and immigrants in general are more productive citizens then the average american, in terms of work ethic.

the problem with american culture is the lack of meaning behind it.

i think we need to reassess our situation as americans.
Nice stereotyping of American workers there. This country didn't get built by Americans sitting on their porches sipping tea.

If our culture has lost any meaning it is because of non-assimilating immigrants both legal and illegal who want to turn our culture into the one they left behind.

Old 09-18-2011, 10:54 AM

10,946 posts, read 7,977,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Nice attempt at deflection. Go ahead and define your idea of American culture.

You define your idea of Mexican culture. Or is it only they who have a culture and Americans do not? That would seem to be your inference.

Old 09-18-2011, 11:15 AM

3,886 posts, read 5,995,057 times
Quote:
Many Mexicans who immigrate to the U.S. come from peasant backgrounds, so they are the rednecks of Mexico.
I've often her Mexicans described as the "Rednecks" of Latin America.

Old 09-18-2011, 11:17 AM

47,576 posts, read 58,711,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjay51 View Post
You define your idea of Mexican culture. Or is it only they who have a culture and Americans do not? That would seem to be your inference.
And why he's at it, he should explain why that culture has brought about a problem of so many of it's people insisting they must flee their own nation and instead must live in ours which is the result of American culture.

American culture must be pretty great because it's produced the country that is the top on the list for people to want to come to live in. In spite of those who put it down, there is no other country that draws so many people.

And no our country's culture is not based on hispanic culture. No more than it's based on Italian or German or Kenyan culture, there may be some cultural influences just like people often like polka music for weddings or think there's nothing funner than a Polish wedding but that doesn't change the basis of our culture.

Hispanic countries were founded by the Spanish conquistadors and the USA was most definitely not.

Old 09-18-2011, 11:30 AM

4,272 posts, read 7,887,141 times
ArmyChick, I pointed out precisely the problem with his rhetorical question. If he had better articulated his point, my answer would have been different

"I might be speculating here but in 2009 or 2010 (I cannot recall) non US citizens voted in the Colorado elections."

AFAIK it's illegal for a non citizen to vote in a state election. Did the media find proof that such a thing happened?

"Oh and I have never heard "Press 2" for English (or any other language for that matter) when I lived in Brazil."

Which agencies/companies did you do business with?
I would expect major governmental agencies and major businesses (banks, airlines, etc.) that deal with foreigners to have something like "press 2 for English"

Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post
So you are telling me those countries cater to foreigners who are in their country ILLEGALLY? I don't think so. Oh and Canada has 2 different languages because of the British and French colonization which happened centuries ago; not because of an influx of illegal aliens from France. The same goes for all the countries you listed.

I might be speculating here but in 2009 or 2010 (I cannot recall) non US citizens voted in the Colorado elections. Whether they were here illegally or not I don't know but what makes you think that illegals aren't voting? If those 5,000 somehow "got away" with it, how many illegals could have done the same...after all most states don't require prove of ID to vote - which never made sense to me in the first place. You should have to prove you are in this country legally to vote. (Funny how Democrats are the ones who oppose it and they always stand behind illegal aliens in this country. Is it mere coincidence? I don't think so.)

Oh and I have never heard "Press 2" for English (or any other language for that matter) when I lived in Brazil.

Old 09-18-2011, 01:55 PM

10,946 posts, read 7,977,821 times
Quote:
I would expect major governmental agencies and major businesses (banks, airlines, etc.) that deal with foreigners to have something like "press 2 for English"
What you would expect is irrelevent. You have been given a first person experience and disgard it to put forward what you would "expect". Not what actually is.

Old 09-18-2011, 02:46 PM

1,574 posts, read 789,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post
Nope...but I despise the fact that they fly their flags everywhere (when the American flag is nowhere to be seen) refuse to assimilate, act like we need to cater to them, bring their poverty over to this side of the fence - I am talking about the ILLEGAL ones FYI. My friends who are Mexican-American don't act that way.
How can you tell the difference between mexican flags being flown by illegal immigrants and those being flown by legal immigrants or US citizens?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or