U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 11:19 PM

3,951 posts, read 3,607,789 times

Advertisements

I know people have the right to ask whatever they want to ask here, but I ask: What kind of question is this? Also, "Why is this thread in this forum?" Then, "Why are people even answering the question?" LOL

Old 09-19-2011, 12:39 AM

7,653 posts, read 14,857,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicman View Post
Despite that, the US government still has jurisdiction over Puerto Rico, and federal agencies serve Puerto Ricans. The Federal Bureau of Prisons has a correctional facility in Puerto Rico.

I would imagine major corporations serve Puerto Rico, but I'm not sure if Puerto Ricans have dedicated 1800 numbers or if they call the mainland ones. That would be something interesting to research...

EDIT: For instance on AT&T's USA site, Puerto Rico is listed with the states/territories that have AT&T stores.

"As for a large population of Spanish speakers on the mainland most Spanish speaking Americans also speak English (including Miamian Cubans) so just whom are they trying to reach here if not for the illegal alien kind?"

The people who do not have fluency in English tend to be recent immigrants. Long-standing Spanish speaking communities (like the Miami Cubans) have people who are fluent in English too. But because of violence in Mexico some recent immigrants are fairly wealthy. Also in some US cities wealthy Mexicans visit to patronize stores and/or have second homes.

"Since English is the langauge of commerce that kind of nullifies your idea of having to communicate with Latin American countries in Spanish in doing business, doesn't it?"

Not quite. Between Spanish speaking countries, communications are done in Spanish, yes? There are a lot of Spanish speaking countries. Many companies locate their Latin America divisions in Miami. I would imagine that (except for Cuba) Miami would be a venue fairly "neutral" to various Latin American countries.

Even though "English is the langauge of commerce" in general in the world there are particular regions where another language is also common. I.E. in the former Soviet Union, Russian is common. In much of Latin America, it's Spanish. Between the francophone countries in Africa, it's French... etc.
Also, there's New Mexico and California. New Mexico (and perhaps Arizona) has a long-standing native Spanish-speaking population, comprised both by the descendants of settlers from Spain whose families inhabited it while it was still a Spanish colony, and by Native American tribes whose main language is Spanish. Likewise, California's constitution was originally written both in English and Spanish.

Old 09-19-2011, 06:02 AM
Yac

5,885 posts, read 6,332,655 times
This is not an illegal immigration issue.
Closed.
Yac.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or