U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2011, 08:39 AM

10,032 posts, read 6,859,367 times

Advertisements

However, if you oppose this in any way you're a racist.

Green Card scam: Holyoke woman arranged dozens of sham marriages | masslive.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2011, 09:00 AM

47,576 posts, read 58,699,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
However, if you oppose this in any way you're a racist.

Green Card scam: Holyoke woman arranged dozens of sham marriages | masslive.com
There is an easy way to stop these sham marriages. It should be a requirement that the immigrant is a joint owner of all bank accounts, retirement plans, and assets. That right there would weed out all the frauds.

And all sponsors of immigrants should be obligated to the financial support of all immigrants they bring in and for their entire stay here. It needs to hit these fake spouses in their wallets because currently they are doing it for money but have no intention of financially supporting the immigrants they so eagerly bring in.

I think if the immigrant must be a co-owner of all bank accounts, vehicles, savings accounts, you would see a huge drop in green card marriages.

Old 09-18-2011, 01:43 PM

5,302 posts, read 4,010,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
There is an easy way to stop these sham marriages. It should be a requirement that the immigrant is a joint owner of all bank accounts, retirement plans, and assets. That right there would weed out all the frauds...
Of course this is usually before admitting said immigrant-side to the United States, and being able to issue them a Social Security number?...

It´s a Chicken and Egg Problem, and someone that has not gone through the process doesn´t understand that the merged lives are checked...

I´d be more worried about others trying to get into a ¨Green Card Marriage¨ from fraudulently misusing the Visa Waiver Program, it´s much easier to do...

Old 09-18-2011, 03:29 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,699,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
Of course this is usually before admitting said immigrant-side to the United States, and being able to issue them a Social Security number?...

It´s a Chicken and Egg Problem, and someone that has not gone through the process doesn´t understand that the merged lives are checked...

I´d be more worried about others trying to get into a ¨Green Card Marriage¨ from fraudulently misusing the Visa Waiver Program, it´s much easier to do...
Not if you read the article, this whole scam involves marriages between people who don't know each other, some cash exchanged to the US citizen "spouse", and a quickie divorce with some sham reasons 2 years later.

You should want to stop the sham marriages and the bringing in of immigrants that the sponsor never intends to support financially.

Merged lives are not checked for very well because I'm sure any of us who have seen what goes on can tell you of some cases where there was no real merging of lives and the participants got by with it.

A guy I used to know was in danger of being deported after his ex-boyfriend was deported and was jealous over a new relationship and informed the INS about him. So he married a lesbian friend who is a citizen and got to stay, even though the ex-boyfriend kept trying to get him deported, even informing INS he was a homosexual in a sham marriage. The marriage lasted the minimum acceptable time and then they divorced. After a few years here though, and perfectly legal status he decided to go on back home and is there now.

I don't think in the case of bringing in immigrants, the financial obligation to provide financial support to the immigrant should ever end. Why should the taxpayers ever be stuck with the support of immigrants who have a family sponsor?

Old 09-19-2011, 05:48 AM

3,079 posts, read 3,574,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
And all sponsors of immigrants should be obligated to the financial support of all immigrants they bring in and for their entire stay here. It needs to hit these fake spouses in their wallets because currently they are doing it for money but have no intention of financially supporting the immigrants they so eagerly bring in.
Except that that would cause problems for the legitimate marriages where the non-US spouse is more than capable of supporting themselves.

How about not issuing marriage licenses for people who entered the country unlawfully? Only for US citizens, legal residents and those who entered the country legally.

At any rate I hope they seize this woman's assets and send her home. These sham marriages are bad enough when they are only carried out for the money, but worse when one of the two thinks it's for real. I had a friend who was scammed by a Russian bride. He actually thought she was marrying him for love. I'll spare the details. She got her green card and he learned a hard lesson.

Old 09-19-2011, 07:59 AM

4,827 posts, read 4,646,310 times
I saw an ad on craiglist from someone who Is here illegally and wants to marry a US citizen in order to stay (nevermind the fact that you can't change your status once you are here illegally)

When I was a kid, my dad's friend asked my dad to allow me to marry his son because he wanted to come live here. He offered my dad 50K.

A 27 year old naturalized Canadian guy from the Philippines also asked my aunt the same question when he found out I am American.. except that he "only" offered 15K.

Old 09-19-2011, 08:20 AM

3,079 posts, read 3,574,532 times
Flag the ad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or