U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 07:52 PM

1,569 posts, read 999,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isitmeorarethingsnuts? View Post
I'm not understanding this, my apologies. How can they work here if they aren't physically here?
What I mean is that they don't have equal access to the market. They can't simply hop on a plane/train, show up and work. But I could move to California and do that.

Quote:
Are you suggesting that they aren't eligible for any access to help including food, shelter and health care? The problem in the US is that no one will be turned away in health care. I see a difference in emergency health care as opposed to things like dialysis and ongoing care but see where it would be a very slippery slope once people were allowed to be here.
I'm not suggesting that they aren't eligible, I'm saying that the system I'm proposing would alleviate concerns about welfare costs. ER costs are not very high, BTW. What really drives health care costs is longer term care, and that care is not guaranteed (at least not yet).

Quote:
See, this is where you say it isn't about poverty. If it isn't about poverty I don't follow your motivation. It leads me to believe that your argument is based on lowering wages in the US. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
You're misreading my statement. I'm saying it literally - I don't care about American poverty MORE than any other poverty. I care about them equally.

BTW, the "proper" way to do quotes is as follows. When you quote this, you will see that there are two html tags - one that says [QUOTERockmadinejad;7828472] or something (I modified it a little) and the other that says [/quote]. Anything you put between those quotes will come up as being a quote from me, so you can copy both those tags over and over and put the different parts of the post you want to respond to between them, creating multiple quotes. Hopefully that makes sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2011, 08:42 PM

3,203 posts, read 2,369,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmadinejad View Post
Not just those here illegally. Those who are not citizens but instead are born in another country are of course at a disadvantage in US labor markets. To allow them completely unfettered access to those markets would make things EVEN, not give them an advantage. I'm not saying their access should be completely unfettered, but it's worth noting that this would even competition out.

I do not. I have proposed many, many times here a system where immigrants of any skill level, barring criminal propensity and communicable disease, could rapidly become either citizens or work-eligible if they opted out of welfare programs targeted at the poor.

All countries.

No. I don't care about the poverty of Americans any more than I care about the poverty of non-Americans.

The limitations I listed above would be a vast, vast improvement. Now, I don't actually think that poor immigrants will make our welfare system explode even if they're allowed access to TANF or whatever in larger numbers (I'd like to see a war or two ended and the savings sent to help the poor, if I had the choice). But I don't mind limitations on contagious disease and limitations that restrict the free movement of certain criminals.
Quote:
What I mean is that they don't have equal access to the market. They can't simply hop on a plane/train, show up and work. But I could move to California and do that.

So in this proposal would all US citizens be given the right to also work in any country that they chose?

I'm not suggesting that they aren't eligible, I'm saying that the system I'm proposing would alleviate concerns about welfare costs. ER costs are not very high, BTW. What really drives health care costs is longer term care, and that care is not guaranteed (at least not yet).

You haven't stated how these costs would be alleviated. IMO, what drives the cost of health care are the numerous people that pay nothing for their care and those that use the ER as their personal physician. Where I'm from, the ER is very high as opposed to making an appointment to see my primary care physician. The ER should be used only in cases of emergency such as accidents and concerns arising after clinics are closed.

You're misreading my statement. I'm saying it literally - I don't care about American poverty MORE than any other poverty. I care about them equally.

Thanks for clarifying.

BTW, the "proper" way to do quotes is as follows. When you quote this, you will see that there are two html tags - one that says [QUOTERockmadinejad;7828472] or something (I modified it a little) and the other that says
. Anything you put between those quotes will come up as being a quote from me, so you can copy both those tags over and over and put the different parts of the post you want to respond to between them, creating multiple quotes. Hopefully that makes sense.[/quote]

Thanks so much. I hope this works!!!

Old 09-21-2011, 08:45 PM

I don't think I did it right yet. I'm sorry. Do I right click on the quote and multi quote as if I'm copy and pasting or something?

Old 09-21-2011, 08:58 PM

Try quoting this short post. You'll see both html tags. You can copy and paste those tags over and over again to form different quotes in the post so that you split a single post up into several quotes. If that makes sense. I'm articulating this poorly.

Edit: Don't bother with the multiquote function, that's for quoting multiple people in one post.

Old 09-21-2011, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Try quoting this short post. You'll see both html tags. You can copy and paste those tags over and over again to form different quotes in the post so that you split a single post up into several quotes. If that makes sense. I'm articulating this poorly.

Edit: Don't bother with the multiquote function, that's for quoting multiple people in one post.
When I hit the quote button it brings up the entire quote but then the quote buttons are gone so I don't see where these options are. If I try to copy or paste it only allows me to select all.

Are the quote multi quote buttons what you are calling the htm buttons?

Old 09-21-2011, 09:18 PM

Sending a PM

Old 09-21-2011, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Sending a PM

Sorry I still can't get it to work. I will have one of my kids show me. I really do appreciate you trying to help me though. Thanks much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration