U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-21-2011, 12:15 PM
 
9,243 posts, read 7,369,121 times
Reputation: 2200

Advertisements

Quote:
A Mexican national is facing multiple immigration violations after authorities say he hitched a ride from the U.S. port of entry on a New Mexico public school bus.....The Deming Headlight reports that U.S. Border Patrol-El Paso Sector spokesman Doug Mosier confirmed Tuesday that the 18-year-old used a Deming Public Schools bus from the Columbus Port of Entry to Deming to illegally enter the country. (http://www.kob.com/article/stories/S2293792.shtml?cat=500 - broken link)
This makes me ponder why our school buses are picking up children from south of our border where any illegal can hitch a ride?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-21-2011, 12:39 PM
 
Location: Jacurutu
5,302 posts, read 4,164,022 times
Reputation: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
This makes me ponder why our school buses are picking up children from south of our border where any illegal can hitch a ride?
This seems really strange to me. The school buses don't cross through to Mexico to pick up kids; They have to walk across on their own, and typically board right at the Port of Entry. Sounds more like the CBP is covering for how he may have got across (the immigration violations are "illegal entry", but also "fraudulent use of a document").

A few miles north of Columbus there is a Border Patrol checkpoint. The bus would have taken him through that, although I don't know why Border Patrol agents aren't doing at least a basic check: Make sure all those riding are schoolkids, except for the driver and any monitor. Nothing about the bus driver in the news (it is a regular defined route, probably using only one bus, and a known driver in that school district), so it seems they weren't in on it.

Somebody turned him in if the Deming Police were the first to know (Deming is about an hour's drive from the border). Me thinks he assumed the identity of another kid to cross on foot through the Port of Entry, tried to blend in, and got past the checkpoint. The kids are otherwise entering legally, are allowed by the school district to go to school there, but this might lead to stronger checking by both the CBP/Border Patrol and the school district in the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2011, 01:20 PM
 
Location: San Diego
35,266 posts, read 32,223,021 times
Reputation: 19813
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
This seems really strange to me. The school buses don't cross through to Mexico to pick up kids; They have to walk across on their own, and typically board right at the Port of Entry. Sounds more like the CBP is covering for how he may have got across (the immigration violations are "illegal entry", but also "fraudulent use of a document").

A few miles north of Columbus there is a Border Patrol checkpoint. The bus would have taken him through that, although I don't know why Border Patrol agents aren't doing at least a basic check: Make sure all those riding are schoolkids, except for the driver and any monitor. Nothing about the bus driver in the news (it is a regular defined route, probably using only one bus, and a known driver in that school district), so it seems they weren't in on it.

Somebody turned him in if the Deming Police were the first to know (Deming is about an hour's drive from the border). Me thinks he assumed the identity of another kid to cross on foot through the Port of Entry, tried to blend in, and got past the checkpoint. The kids are otherwise entering legally, are allowed by the school district to go to school there, but this might lead to stronger checking by both the CBP/Border Patrol and the school district in the future.
Something that has been going on here in the last few years. Parents come illegally and have a child. During the recession they moved back to TJ. The kid has valid id but siblings do not. Siblings use the older kids id to cross and go to school, etc whenever they please. Since schools don't ask for id they'll never know it was the younger sibling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2011, 01:40 PM
 
Location: Jacurutu
5,302 posts, read 4,164,022 times
Reputation: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Something that has been going on here in the last few years. Parents come illegally and have a child. During the recession they moved back to TJ. The kid has valid id but siblings do not. Siblings use the older kids id to cross and go to school, etc whenever they please. Since schools don't ask for id they'll never know it was the younger sibling.
Whole different enchilada...

The news has the title wrong, I'm working to correct it...

The bus did not cross into Mexico...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2011, 04:57 PM
 
Location: Jacurutu
5,302 posts, read 4,164,022 times
Reputation: 601
Understand that these schoolchildren have immigration or citizenship status to be in the United States. If not U.S. citizens, Deming is too far away from the border (over 25 miles) for a Border Crossing Card, and the schoolyear is too long to use a Tourist Visa. It is purely a matter of whether the school district thinks they should be taught there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2011, 08:03 AM
 
9,243 posts, read 7,369,121 times
Reputation: 2200
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
This seems really strange to me. The school buses don't cross through to Mexico to pick up kids; They have to walk across on their own, and typically board right at the Port of Entry. Sounds more like the CBP is covering for how he may have got across (the immigration violations are "illegal entry", but also "fraudulent use of a document").

A few miles north of Columbus there is a Border Patrol checkpoint. The bus would have taken him through that, although I don't know why Border Patrol agents aren't doing at least a basic check: Make sure all those riding are schoolkids, except for the driver and any monitor. Nothing about the bus driver in the news (it is a regular defined route, probably using only one bus, and a known driver in that school district), so it seems they weren't in on it.

Somebody turned him in if the Deming Police were the first to know (Deming is about an hour's drive from the border). Me thinks he assumed the identity of another kid to cross on foot through the Port of Entry, tried to blend in, and got past the checkpoint. The kids are otherwise entering legally, are allowed by the school district to go to school there, but this might lead to stronger checking by both the CBP/Border Patrol and the school district in the future.

I am not sure what really went down. Logical or non logical. I am willing to believe anything at this point with the worst border security in the world.

Maybe the bus did come from Mexico.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2011, 10:04 AM
 
Location: Jacurutu
5,302 posts, read 4,164,022 times
Reputation: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
I am not sure what really went down. Logical or non logical. I am willing to believe anything at this point with the worst border security in the world...
And you are basing this judgement of the "worst border security in the world" on what exactly?...

Mine isn't just an armchair perspective, I've crossed at Columbus and been through the town on several occasions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
...Maybe the bus did come from Mexico.
The schoollbuses do not cross the border. The article correctly states that he boarded at the Port of Entry, but is titled wrong (from the Associated Press). How does one riding a bus in the United States gain MORE illegal presence than he actually has already?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2011, 12:25 PM
 
9,243 posts, read 7,369,121 times
Reputation: 2200
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
And you are basing this judgement of the "worst border security in the world" on what exactly?...

Mine isn't just an armchair perspective, I've crossed at Columbus and been through the town on several occasions...



The schoollbuses do not cross the border. The article correctly states that he boarded at the Port of Entry, but is titled wrong (from the Associated Press). How does one riding a bus in the United States gain MORE illegal presence than he actually has already?
You don't what exactly went down unless you was with him.

He is still illegal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2011, 04:19 PM
 
Location: Jacurutu
5,302 posts, read 4,164,022 times
Reputation: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
You don't what exactly went down unless you was with him.

He is still illegal
Mmmm, being from Mexico, he might have already been quickly deported that same day. So a misrepresentation at a Port of Entry is serious here, and bears a comment about "the worst border security in the world", but a German citizen with a fraudulent misrepresentation entry and visa overstay, being even allowed a second entry without any visa is not? The German case didn't even get put in the news (media coverup conspiracy) while it was current,, it took a Letter to the Editor to get noticed.

I still need it explained to me how a schoolbus can gives more "illegal presence" when transporting someone 50 miles from the border. Illegal presence is illegal presence., whether you are a foot inside the United States, or 500 miles. Why does this case get to be any more newsworthy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2011, 05:19 PM
 
Location: Jacurutu
5,302 posts, read 4,164,022 times
Reputation: 601
It looks like a more appropriate title was found, thanks to a reader that pointed out certain logical inconsistencies in the story:

"Mexican national hitched a ride on NM school bus"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:19 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top