Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 08:38 PM

5,762 posts, read 11,615,068 times

Advertisements

Personally, I don't care that much about the issue of illegal immigration. To me, it's not a big deal. That's just how politics works - different people will care about different things.

But I have noticed that some illegal immigration 'evangelists' (as I call them) say that, by not caring, I become 'part of the problem.'

I think these folks are being hypersensitive and have one-track minds. Am I wrong?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2007, 09:44 PM

320 posts, read 295,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
Personally, I don't care that much about the issue of illegal immigration. To me, it's not a big deal. That's just how politics works - different people will care about different things.

But I have noticed that some illegal immigration 'evangelists' (as I call them) say that, by not caring, I become 'part of the problem.'

I think these folks are being hypersensitive and have one-track minds. Am I wrong?
Technically, if everyone educated themselves and got involved in issues, such as Bush starting war talks in 2002 about Iraq, we probably would not be in Iraq in the first place. Can you really oppose 200 million people on your front lawn protesting your decision? It's my personal opinion if you don't participate, you don't have a meaningful opinion.

Then again, if -everyone- got involved, that doesn't mean better solutions. Could just mean more yapping.

Old 08-20-2007, 09:48 PM

You assume that everyone who knows the facts will adopt your position. There are still plenty of Iraq war supporters out there, you know (not that I am one of them, but still).

Old 08-20-2007, 10:44 PM

Quote:
You assume that everyone who knows the facts will adopt your position. There are still plenty of Iraq war supporters out there, you know (not that I am one of them, but still).
Most people supported the Iraq war because Bush was not revealing what he should have, or shouldn't have. Besides our soldiers meeting their Maker over a war of lies, the American public shifted on the war because it took a few years for the full truth to come out into the open.

Really, people shouldn't have had to "dig deeper" for the information needed, so I can't say that I blame the initial supporters. Bush should have been someone we could trust to say what is true, when it's true, and why it's true. Not someone who would fabricate a situation to meet personal political goals.

Old 08-20-2007, 11:09 PM

2,434 posts, read 6,668,600 times
Quote:

To each his own I guess.

I oppose illegal immigration because I have personally seen the devastating effects it has had on our country. We have literally been invaded by an army of at least 30 million illegals, all while our nation's leaders have knowing turned a blind eye.

Old 08-20-2007, 11:14 PM

At least 30 million?

Old 08-20-2007, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye48 View Post
To each his own I guess.

I oppose illegal immigration because I have personally seen the devastating effects it has had on our country. We have literally been invaded by an army of at least 30 million illegals, all while our nation's leaders have knowing turned a blind eye.
What I find scary is the over-extended use of our welfare system. That alone will surely impact our economy, just wait and see. Why are we the only country without education requirements to immigrate to America? Why do WE have to take all the uneducated immigrants who no doubt takes quick advantage of free medical care?

Old 08-21-2007, 01:25 AM

562 posts, read 657,494 times
Quote:

Yes you are wrong. By not caring, you show your attitude towards your fellow American Tax Payer. We, and you if you are an American Citizen, are footing the bill to support all the programs these illegals are taking advantage of, at OUR expense.

The issue of illegals isn't a political problem, it is an ECONOMIC problem. It involves the spending of OUR money. I pay way too much money in tax as it is. I don't need a bunch of people who aren't supposed to be here in the first place, freeloading off of us like a bunch of vampires sucking the bank account dry.

PS - I paid almost as much in taxes last year as some people make in a whole year. So don't talk to me about freeloading! I am rightly pissed off.

Old 08-21-2007, 01:29 AM

What makes you think that illegals, overall, have a negative impact on the American economy? I've seen studies which argue otherwise, and which claim that the anti-inflationary effects of illegal labor have helped make the American economy one of the strongest and most-resilient in the world. They also 'fill the gaps' in a society like ours with low unemployment. This allows for a more efficient allocation of labor. The cost of social services would pale in comparison to those benefits - those costs are in the billions, but the benefits are probably over a trillion dollars added value to our national GDP per year.

Old 08-21-2007, 08:48 AM

786 posts, read 4,726,583 times
I think one of the unreported problems with the illegal alien debate is how many people take an emotional reaction to the issue and do not think through their feelings on the whole thing. I read many postings from the supporters of illegal aliens and they are basing their opinions based on emotion and a general lack of knowledge or logic. They seem to be less informed than the critics of illegal immigration and just use code words like racism and family unification, instead of really thinking things through.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration