U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2011, 08:32 PM

47,573 posts, read 61,455,992 times

Advertisements

If he signs the second bill, undocumented students attending public higher educational institutions who qualify for the exemption from non-resident tuition would be eligible to receive financial aid at the state's public colleges and universities.

Undocumented College Students Rally For Public Financial Aid: News: SFAppeal

Of course they didn't just want the deeply discounted college, the illegals expect to be given a free ride all the way. Why work? Why save money for your kids' educations? Just demand, demand, and demand.

And next thing you know, California will be demanding a federal bailout.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2011, 08:50 PM

3,204 posts, read 2,503,105 times
That's my biggest concern, Malamute.

California wants to spend recklessly so I sure hope the rest of the country doesn't end up having to take on their debt.

When we have no vote in their legislation that would seem like taxation without representation. I pity the poor people of Cali that don't want this crap.

Old 09-29-2011, 11:05 PM

3,951 posts, read 3,762,581 times
I know that this is about California grants, but:

Quote:
Through choked tears, Catherine spoke of how she had been a fourth-year political science student at the University of California at Berkeley but had to drop out the semester she was to graduate because she could not afford to finish.
Man, these illegal immigrant students just don't get it and they are so selfish. They don't know about the rest of us that were actually born here that were in the same situation. Yet, they want to share with us the treasury and take from us? I really will march against any legislation that makes it OK for illegal immigrants to receive federal financial. I don't think they have a chance of ever receiving federal financial aid. There would be a lot of backlash.

Quote:
"Sign this bill as if your own children needed it," she said, urging Brown to take action. "Undocumented students are under attack and California can be the beacon of hope."
Seriously? Are they that blind? "Sign this bill as if your own children needed it?" They are saying that? No, they should be saying, "Sign this bill if you want votes." Why would anyone who has children going to school in the United States want to give illegal immigrants a chance to share educational grants and loans with their children? Sorry, but emotions in this case won't override survival instincts and common sense. Also, the children of the people she is talking to probably won't even be eligible to receive financial aid because their parents make too much annual income.

Another thing is this: how many of those students or their parents have contributed enough to the U.S. to even demand payment for school? I bet that some of these kids haven't worked in the U.S. a day in their life.

Also, if I am from another state, can I move to California, apply for school there, get accepted and apply for in-state tuition and the California grants?

I bet I couldn't, but an illegal immigrant can. Does anyone else see something wrong with this for a U.S. citizen?

Old 09-30-2011, 08:21 AM

2,113 posts, read 2,358,759 times
That is disgusting. Why should it be more beneficial to be an illegal than a citizen or legal immigrant?

Old 09-30-2011, 08:22 AM

14,307 posts, read 11,668,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoEdible View Post
I know that this is about California grants, but:

Man, these illegal immigrant students just don't get it and they are so selfish. They don't know about the rest of us that were actually born here that were in the same situation. Yet, they want to share with us the treasury and take from us? I really will march against any legislation that makes it OK for illegal immigrants to receive federal financial. I don't think they have a chance of ever receiving federal financial aid. There would be a lot of backlash.

Seriously? Are they that blind? "Sign this bill as if your own children needed it?" They are saying that? No, they should be saying, "Sign this bill if you want votes." Why would anyone who has children going to school in the United States want to give illegal immigrants a chance to share educational grants and loans with their children? Sorry, but emotions in this case won't override survival instincts and common sense. Also, the children of the people she is talking to probably won't even be eligible to receive financial aid because their parents make too much annual income.

Another thing is this: how many of those students or their parents have contributed enough to the U.S. to even demand payment for school? I bet that some of these kids haven't worked in the U.S. a day in their life.

Also, if I am from another state, can I move to California, apply for school there, get accepted and apply for in-state tuition and the California grants?

I bet I couldn't, but an illegal immigrant can. Does anyone else see something wrong with this for a U.S. citizen?
Absolutely! Another thing is since after graduation they cannot work lawfully in this country because of their illegal status why in the world should their higher education be supplemented by the U.S. taxpayer?

Old 09-30-2011, 08:36 AM

47,573 posts, read 61,455,992 times
And undocumented income that parents who have at best only stolen social security numbers and so would not have to report will guarantee that the illegals grab up all the financial aid. Americans will be at a very distinct disadvantage. Also many of the illegal parents send hundreds of dollars out of the country every month so are not putting it away for their kids' college.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or