Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you can Immigrant because you live in America?
I am foreign born and thus a true immigrant 4 8.70%
Everyone who lives in America is an immigrant based on our history 8 17.39%
I am an American and my family has been here for generations 34 73.91%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 02:38 PM

8,002 posts, read 18,601,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by citigirl View Post
I am an American and my mothers side of the family came here to be AN AMERICAN. There were a couple that came here and still wanted to be an Italian so they went back to Italy. They did not stay here and try to make America like Italy.

On the Italian side of my family they only speak english in front of the children. If they are interested in learning a second language they will interact with the children in Italian BUT it is Italian that will be the second language not english.
Once again citigirl, always a nice post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2007, 06:55 PM

4,803 posts, read 8,747,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
America IS a nation of immigrants---and does not HAVE a culture of its own. It's also a nation of slave owners (and slaves), of Indian-killers, of log-cabin dwellers, and stage-coach travelers. It's also a nation torn in half by civil war. And a nation of businessmen who raped the land and cut down every tree from Michigan to the Puget Sound. So quit complaining about it---you all share enough guilt to go around!! And America has also CLOSED its borders to all poor newcomers, so SHAME ON US!!!
All countries on the face of this earth are then also nations of immigrants as every human being on the face of this planet can trace their DNA to Africa where homo-sapiens first became bipedal. Native American Indians are not native to this continent because their ancestors can be traced to Siberia. So actually, based on that silly bit of reasoning, there are no natives of any country, with the exception of Africa.

There are no countries in existence today which have not been affected or torn apart by civil war, slavery, class wars, racial division, or industrialization. In America, as in any other civilized country, the descendents of those who committed horrific crimes against their fellow man cannot possibly be held responsible for actions committed one hundred or more years before their births.

My Swedish ancestors were not slave owners in this country, but my Apache ancestors were made slaves and took slaves at one point or another. Also, my Norwegian (Viking) ancestors once made slaves of my Scottish ancestors. Now, I'm sure that I am not the only person whose ancestors present such a conundrum of circularity. If everyone on the planet were to trace their ancestry back far enough, they would most likely find slave owners, murderers, thieves, pirates, and other odd and assorted flimflammers. So what? They are not responsible for the behavior of these people any more than any American living today is responsible for any heinous behavior committed by those who came to this land before us. To attempt to lay the guilt of the ancestors at the feet of the living is completely unreasonable and not just a little half-baked.

For your information, America is a culture in and of itself. Ask anyone outside of this country and they will tell you that America definitely has a culture. Can it be defined in 50 words or not? God, I hope not. That's what makes us so unique.

I don't see too many people fighting to flee this country, but there sure are a hell of a lot of them trying to get in. We should, as a sovereign country, have the right to determine who we let into this country and when. Too bad we won't actually close our borders until this illegal immigration mess can be rectified. All immigration should be halted until we determine just who and what we've got floating around between our borders.

Old 08-21-2007, 07:12 PM

2,367 posts, read 7,651,042 times
I was born in America to parents who were born in America.My anncestors came here in the 1800s legally.

Old 08-22-2007, 12:59 PM

3,860 posts, read 8,449,979 times
My family has been here for generations! Most of my ancestors were forced here. Some where the first one's here. I was born here!! I'm no immigrant!

Old 08-22-2007, 04:58 PM

7,359 posts, read 10,274,860 times
"America is a nation of immigrants" is a meaningless statement. All nations are, if you reach far back enough in history, "nations of immigrants." The land mass of the U.S. could, until about 1970, sustainably support immigrant populations in great numbers, but it can no longer do so. We have reached--in fact, we have surpassed--the sustainable population limit for this continent. Willfully blinding ourselves to that fact so that we can continue to chant silly myths about America in order to reach political or economic goals is deadly.

Old 08-22-2007, 05:06 PM

26 posts, read 53,932 times
My grandparents were American. I was born in Mexico=I'm Mexican. I legally live in the U.S. due to work (no, not in the cotton fields). That makes me an immigrant. Still, I don't support illegal immigration because I pay a LOT of taxes (like most of you). They should pay taxes too, right?

Old 08-22-2007, 05:40 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,551,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward View Post
"America is a nation of immigrants" is a meaningless statement. All nations are, if you reach far back enough in history, "nations of immigrants." The land mass of the U.S. could, until about 1970, sustainably support immigrant populations in great numbers, but it can no longer do so. We have reached--in fact, we have surpassed--the sustainable population limit for this continent. Willfully blinding ourselves to that fact so that we can continue to chant silly myths about America in order to reach political or economic goals is deadly.
Very true---There's no doubt that the human being is capable of surviving under horrific conditions. If we were willing to live under those conditions currently experienced by the underlasses of Calcutta, or Lagos, for example, America could probably support 8 or 10 times its current population. We'd give birth, some of us, by various means, would survive to adulthood, we'd breed, and shortly thereafter, we'd die. We'd still be humans.
The question is, is this the best we can hope for? Should we accept this sort of future? Who says so, and if we find out who, does THAT person agree to live like this, too, or do they only advocate it for the rest of us? Do we get to vote on this?.......
That whole statement, "America is a land of immigrants", besides it basic untruth in a literal sense, also suffers from the fact that it's one of the many platitudes being thrown around that tell only ONE SIDE of a story. We can say "America is a nation of immigrants", or "Most welfare recipients are white", or "America mistreats its minorities"...but we can't say "American immigrants have traditionally come here legally", or "Most PhD's are white", or "minorities are better off in America than they'd be elsewhere". All of these statements have some degree of basis in fact; some, however, are taken as facts, while others provoke heated, angry debate...

Last edited by macmeal; 08-22-2007 at 05:55 PM..

Old 08-22-2007, 07:59 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,041,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okayokay View Post
My grandparents were American. I was born in Mexico=I'm Mexican. I legally live in the U.S. due to work (no, not in the cotton fields). That makes me an immigrant. Still, I don't support illegal immigration because I pay a LOT of taxes (like most of you). They should pay taxes too, right?
I worked for a company down in Texas. One time we did a sweep of records to verify a couple people, however, to be fair we did everybody. We found about 30 illegals. Something wrong with paperwork, numbers could no longer be verified (they originally were but now didn't match) We got each one in individually and explained to the what we had found. We told them to leave and they had 3 days to come back with good paperwork. Some did. Most didn't come back.

But my point is, they were using illegal SS cards, and false Drivers License. They were making the going wage as their co-workers. But all were paying taxes, all were paying for insurance. Although they were paying taxes, they were paying into somebody elses account so they couldn't file to get any back at the end of the year.

I also fully understand that there are a lot of illegals not paying taxes. Mostly agricultural or getting paid under the table by crooked employers.

Old 08-22-2007, 08:29 PM

7,359 posts, read 10,274,860 times
It doesn't matter that they were paying taxes or paying for insurance. They were breaking the law through identity theft, and if they opened credit accounts, they might have ruined someone's credit.

Old 08-23-2007, 07:11 AM

28,890 posts, read 30,248,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
America IS a nation of immigrants---and does not HAVE a culture of its own. It's also a nation of slave owners (and slaves), of Indian-killers, of log-cabin dwellers, and stage-coach travelers. It's also a nation torn in half by civil war. And a nation of businessmen who raped the land and cut down every tree from Michigan to the Puget Sound. So quit complaining about it---you all share enough guilt to go around!! And America has also CLOSED its borders to all poor newcomers, so SHAME ON US!!!
First of all, I'm not a slave owner...I was also born right here in American...my family has been here for 125 years....I'm not a log cabin sweller, nor a state coach traveler. I didn't fight in the civil war...nor was I a business man who cut down every tree...(by the way, there are still lots of trees still standing here in PA)

If your on a boat and it's filled with people...loaded down so much that one more person on the boat will sink it and kill everyone in the boat...what do you do...take that one person onbaord and kill everyone?

We're killing American Culture...killing what America stands for....you along with everyone of is, is NOT above the law....regardless...and when you bend the law, nothing good can come from it. Illegals are AGAINST THE LAW PERIOD...but apparently our leaders of this country are so corrupt they continue to ignore this issue.

Illegals are costing American's a great deal of money...healthcare, schools, printing everything in Spanish, which I might add is ridiculous...and this whole thing is a slap in the face to all those people who possess respect for our laws and have come to this country legally and gone thru immigration to obtain their citizenships and learn English.

What don't you understand about the word ILLEGAL?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration