Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2011, 04:49 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,490,961 times

Advertisements

PROVIDENCE, R.I. (AP) — When Rhode Island became the 13th state to allow in-state tuition for illegal immigrants at public colleges, supporters heralded the move as one that would give students the kind of advanced education they need to succeed in the workforce.
But students who are not here legally may still face a major obstacle even with the benefit of a college degree: Many have no immediate pathway to legal status and, under current federal immigration law, employers cannot legally hire them.

Illegal students face obstacles even after college - Yahoo! News

Should hav though bout it before going to college in the USA. Fools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2011, 08:16 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,281,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikCortez View Post
PROVIDENCE, R.I. (AP) — When Rhode Island became the 13th state to allow in-state tuition for illegal immigrants at public colleges, supporters heralded the move as one that would give students the kind of advanced education they need to succeed in the workforce.
But students who are not here legally may still face a major obstacle even with the benefit of a college degree: Many have no immediate pathway to legal status and, under current federal immigration law, employers cannot legally hire them.

Illegal students face obstacles even after college - Yahoo! News

Should hav though bout it before going to college in the USA. Fools.
Exactly.

Old 10-04-2011, 11:49 PM

177 posts, read 139,274 times
There are always the intangibles of a higher educated populous and the benefits that brings. I imagine that an illegal immigrant should have known that they wouldn't able able to apply the skills and knowledge they learned openly, so its kind of a duh issue.

Old 10-05-2011, 01:21 AM

2,075 posts, read 2,137,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotionalintel View Post
There are always the intangibles of a higher educated populous and the benefits that brings. I imagine that an illegal immigrant should have known that they wouldn't able able to apply the skills and knowledge they learned openly, so its kind of a duh issue.
Not to mention the resentment & anger that would
be directed toward them by the american workers.

Old 10-05-2011, 05:42 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,219,329 times
One would hope so after all they may be educated but they are still here illegally.

Old 10-05-2011, 06:15 AM

177 posts, read 139,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjwebbster View Post
Not to mention the resentment & anger that would
be directed toward them by the american workers.
Yes, little Billy got a job at the corner grrr argh, Sally got a job raaarrrwww!!!!

Old 10-05-2011, 08:54 AM

26,654 posts, read 28,677,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotionalintel View Post
Yes, little Billy got a job at the corner grrr argh, Sally got a job raaarrrwww!!!!
With their college education I would think that they will feel entitled to more than that kind of a job.

A "path to citizenship" would cost a small fortune--it does for people who immigrate the LEGAL way. If anything, the illegals would have to start on a path to getting a green card/visa. $$$$$$$$$$$$ and time.

Then they could apply to be a permanent resident. $$$$$$$$$$ and time.

Three years after that they could apply to lift the conditions on the permanent resident and I think it's years after that they become eligible to apply for and PAY more $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ for citizenship.

During this process they get to be fingerprinted twice. And they get the privilege of paying $85 each time. They also get to PAY for their innoculations and medical exam. So I hope they have A LOT OF TIME AND MONEY because that's the way the LEGALS have to do it.

If THEY Get a path to citizenship, then the good folks who struggled through the LEGAL PROCESS and did it right, should get about an $8000 refund! (and that still wouldn't cover the mountains of paperwork, the waiting and waiting, the uncertainty and all else that a legal person endured.)

Old 10-05-2011, 08:59 AM

5,821 posts, read 5,303,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
With their college education I would think that they will feel entitled to more than that kind of a job.

A "path to citizenship" would cost a small fortune--it does for people who immigrate the LEGAL way. If anything, the illegals would have to start on a path to getting a green card/visa. $$$$$$$$$$$$ and time.

Three years after that they could apply to lift the conditions on the permanent resident and I think it's years after that they become eligible to apply for and PAY more $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ for citizenship.

During this process they get to be fingerprinted twice. And they get the privilege of paying $85 each time. They also get to PAY for their innoculations and medical exam. So I hope they have A LOT OF TIME AND MONEY because that's the way the LEGALS have to do it.

If THEY Get a path to citizenship, then the good folks who struggled through the LEGAL PROCESS and did it right, should get about an $8000 refund! (and that still wouldn't cover the mountains of paperwork, the waiting and waiting, the uncertainty and all else that a legal person endured.)
And if they don't like that they can stay where they belong.

I got fingerprinted twice just to coach children in youth sports, big deal.

Old 10-05-2011, 09:05 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,560,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post

This is why I am always suspect of those who claim either they or a family member are legal immigrants, yet they fervently support illegal aliens.

Old 10-05-2011, 02:17 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,281,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
This is why I am always suspect of those who claim either they or a family member are legal immigrants, yet they fervently support illegal aliens.
Exactly. Having lived in several countries and having sponsored someone through the green card process myself, I have not one SHRED of sympathy for illegals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration