U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 10-04-2011, 03:51 PM
 
4,828 posts, read 6,933,638 times
Reputation: 620

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Why? You are speaking about your fellow citizens for the rule of law you know.

Here let me help you. According to the dictionary this is a nativist:

"the policy of protecting the interests of native inhabitants against those of immigrants"

Note that it doesn't say "illegal" immigrants but plain old immigrants. We are not trying to protect American interests from "immigrants". What's your next move? Calling us xenophobes?
Is the guy allowed to have an opinion? I didn't see him complaining when you accused him of being a "pro-illegal" ( which I'm sure he disagrees with). Why is okay for only you to throw labels around?

 
Old 10-04-2011, 03:54 PM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,531,303 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
Is the guy allowed to have an opinion? I didn't see him complaining when you accused him of being a "pro-illegal" ( which I'm sure he disagrees with).
I don't call law abiding Americans being smeared with inappropriate nasty labels as just an opinion. He however, has made it plain that he is a sympathizer/defender of illegal aliens aka pro-illegal alien. Curious, what label would you put on someone with that kind of mindset? Shall I say pro-amnesty then....what?
 
Old 10-04-2011, 03:55 PM
 
4,828 posts, read 6,933,638 times
Reputation: 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
Uhhm, there has been an update...

He might be from Yemen, but he is not an illegal alien:


Man detained in Gadsden under new Alabama immigration law turns out to be legal

GADSDEN, Ala. (AP) — A man suspected of violating Alabama’s new immigration law turned out to be in the country legally...

...Etowah County officials said Monday an attorney for 24-year-old Mohamed Ali Muflahi later produced papers showing he had legal status...



I guess that all those Nativist links crowing about this will now promptly correct their articles
?...
I doubt that!! They will just use it and turn this into a chain email or something.
 
Old 10-04-2011, 03:59 PM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,531,303 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
I doubt that!! They will just use it and turn this into a chain email or something.
Whatever, but they aren't nativists as I already supplied the definition of a nativist in here.
 
Old 10-04-2011, 04:02 PM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 16,251,399 times
Reputation: 3029
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
I doubt that!! They will just use it and turn this into a chain email or something.
Why would anyone do that? If anything, they’ll use this as proof the law is being enforced as intended. After all, they originally thought the man was here illegally, but he was able to quickly prove his legal status. Likewise, others can do the same. That is, with the exception of illegal aliens.
 
Old 10-04-2011, 04:04 PM
 
Location: Native Floridian, USA
4,907 posts, read 6,124,428 times
Reputation: 6117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Thanks for the update, and for posting an article that illustrates how easily legal status can be proven. So, the ONLY people who should fear this law are those the law is intended to snare. Clearly, the system works.
This bears repeating because it is true.
 
Old 10-04-2011, 04:07 PM
 
4,828 posts, read 6,933,638 times
Reputation: 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
I don't call law abiding Americans being smeared with inappropriate nasty labels as just an opinion. He however, has made it plain that he is a sympathizer/defender of illegal aliens aka pro-illegal alien. Curious, what label would you put on someone with that kind of mindset? Shall I say pro-amnesty then....what?
Your opinion is just that... YOUR opinion. Allow others to express their opinions without getting upset over it.
 
Old 10-04-2011, 04:11 PM
 
416 posts, read 541,619 times
Reputation: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
So you don't fear anything when the Sheriff of that county in Alabama describes the new law as

"[A]nyone who does not have documentation, such as a driver’s license, to verify citizenship status can be arrested, regardless of how he or she looks or talks."

I think there is going to be quite a few more false positives if we are seeing the first this early (while they call him "OTM", he still looks like a Mexican)...

thing is...from what i know, you cannot drive a car without having your DL on your person. so strike one if this is how you drive and get pulled over.

next...if you are visiting America with valid paperwork, it is a DOS requirement that you have that paperwork on you at all times as well. this is pretty standard in almost all foreign countries as well. so strike two...the yemeni guy did produce his paperwork but he is/was legally required to be carrying it.

so yes, you can be arrested if you do not have ID when driving a car or in any other altercation where law enforcement is involved. the probability that a person with no hint of an accent pulled over by the cops and no DL/documents is going to get arrested...prob'ly low.
 
Old 10-04-2011, 04:21 PM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,531,303 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
Your opinion is just that... YOUR opinion. Allow others to express their opinions without getting upset over it.
I see, so me clarifying what a nativist actually is, is being "upset"? The dictionary isn't an opinion it is based on facts. Why would he hold such an opinion when the dictionary clearly states otherwise? If one is going to offer an opinion then at least have it based on facts.

As I asked, what should we call defenders of illegal aliens? If not pro-illegal then what? Here's your chance to give us the correct label to use. I'll glady accept the label of anti-illegal and with pride because it is a proper label.
 
Old 10-04-2011, 04:27 PM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,531,303 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by davehalo View Post
thing is...from what i know, you cannot drive a car without having your DL on your person. so strike one if this is how you drive and get pulled over.

next...if you are visiting America with valid paperwork, it is a DOS requirement that you have that paperwork on you at all times as well. this is pretty standard in almost all foreign countries as well. so strike two...the yemeni guy did produce his paperwork but he is/was legally required to be carrying it.

so yes, you can be arrested if you do not have ID when driving a car or in any other altercation where law enforcement is involved. the probability that a person with no hint of an accent pulled over by the cops and no DL/documents is going to get arrested...prob'ly low.
I agreed with you up until your last sentence. Accent has nothing to do with it. If you don't have the proper I.D. during lawful contact with the law you probably will be detained.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:31 PM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top