Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 05:17 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,312,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
Actually no. I'm not "Open Borders Lobby", whatever that means. But when coherent thought fades away enough on this forum where I have an example offered of an American college student killed on a bus in Mexico to prove a point of schoolkids riding the bus across the border, I want to add a little bit more clarity.
Reading comprehension? I never called you an "open borders lobby". I have however, called you pro-illegal. If that is an inaccurate label then tell us what is.

What does the school bus thingy have to do with asking what we anti-illegals (not nativists, not anti-immigrants, not anti-Mexicans, not racists, not xenophobes, etc.) should call those of you who are defenders/sympathizers to illegal aliens? Give us a proper label we can use.

Last edited by chicagonut; 10-04-2011 at 05:19 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 10-04-2011, 05:40 PM

5,299 posts, read 4,845,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Why is “proving citizenship” a common theme in your posts, if you are not trying to imply that those stopped will be required to prove citizenship? Please explain.
The common case that will happen in Alabama, is for U.S. citizens (since they are by far the largest group of residents there) being required to prove their citizenship (by convention, they have no immigration documents, it is a proof of citizenship that shows their immigration status). A typical response here is that someone will show their driver's license. But does the driver's license show that someone is fully complying with immigration law?

Use the example if Muflahi is stopped while driving his car. He presents a driver's license to the police. Has he properly demonstrated his immigration status? No, he doesn't have his Resident Card (or student visa, whatever) as required by law.

A driver's license does not demonstrate U.S. citizenship, because Legal Permanent Residents and others (in three states, illegal aliens or those without Social Security numbers) are able to have one. You commented yourself, Muflahi has the same appearance as U.S. citizens in that area. If al Qaeda hasn't thought to have deep-cover Yeminis go though training to lose their accent, then they wouldn't have been such a troubling bunch of terrorists to round up (again, notice that I say what is thought to be an illegal alien Yemini is identified to al Qaeda much more quickly than one that is not an illegal alien; That is the worst direction that profiling can take you, when you assume a terrorist is going to look or be a particular way).

There are aliens that look and sound exactly like citizens. Do you want to catch all illegal aliens, or just those that can't adjust their appearances to look and sound like everyone else? For the broader definition of "security", you had better check everyone, including citizens (Anwar al-Awlaki was a U.S. citizen).

Again, how did the Sheriff paraphrase the new Alabama law?...

Old 10-04-2011, 06:16 PM

6,822 posts, read 6,630,364 times
Quote:
First Illegal Alien Arrested Under Alabama Immigration Law is From YEMEN | Stand With Arizona (http://standwitharizona.com/blog/2011/10/03/first-illegal-alien-arrested-under-alabama-immigration-law-is-from-yemen/ - broken link)

I wonder why they didn’t release him when they discovered he isn’t from Mexico. Could it be the law isn’t anti-Hispanic/Mexican, rather anti-illegal from ANY country? Hmmm. .
Ask yourself why our government is not protecting our borders. Meanwhile we are supposedly fighting the bad guys in the desert across the world. Couldn't they simply walk across the southern border?

Think about it people. If they wanted to seal off the border they very well could have years ago.

Old 10-04-2011, 06:21 PM

3,948 posts, read 4,304,046 times
I am reading the first paragraph and it is making me realize how unfortunate it is that people choose to utilize the ability to come here (to the United States), but they have the NERVE to do illegal things such as drug-related crimes. I can't get with that. I was born here, I plan to remain here and I want to die in the United States, I can't just sit back and be OK with people coming here from their raggedy-a$$ countries and trying to mess ours up (we already got our own ills).

I am curious as to how they reported that he was here illegally, but then it turns out that he wasn't.

Old 10-04-2011, 06:38 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,554,889 times
Quote:
The common case that will happen in Alabama, is for U.S. citizens (since they are by far the largest group of residents there) being required to prove their citizenship (by convention, they have no immigration documents, it is a proof of citizenship that shows their immigration status). A typical response here is that someone will show their driver's license. But does the driver's license show that someone is fully complying with immigration law?

Use the example if Muflahi is stopped while driving his car. He presents a driver's license to the police. Has he properly demonstrated his immigration status? No, he doesn't have his Resident Card (or student visa, whatever) as required by law.

A driver's license does not demonstrate U.S. citizenship, because Legal Permanent Residents and others (in three states, illegal aliens or those without Social Security numbers) are able to have one. You commented yourself, Muflahi has the same appearance as U.S. citizens in that area. If al Qaeda hasn't thought to have deep-cover Yeminis go though training to lose their accent, then they wouldn't have been such a troubling bunch of terrorists to round up (again, notice that I say what is thought to be an illegal alien Yemini is identified to al Qaeda much more quickly than one that is not an illegal alien; That is the worst direction that profiling can take you, when you assume a terrorist is going to look or be a particular way).

There are aliens that look and sound exactly like citizens. Do you want to catch all illegal aliens, or just those that can't adjust their appearances to look and sound like everyone else? For the broader definition of "security", you had better check everyone, including citizens (Anwar al-Awlaki was a U.S. citizen).

Again, a citizen or legal immigrant of ANY race, ethnicity, or nationality, has no trouble proving their status. You even demonstrated that with the article you linked, albeit unwittingly. They will have access to whatever documents are required, if not on their person, at home.

Conversely, most illegal aliens will not have the required documents, other than those with stolen identities, or quality forgeries. After all, they are here illegally, and lack documentation. Isn’t that the reason pro-illegals refer to them as “undocumented?” Naturally, as with all criminals, some illegals will slip through the cracks, but most will not. It’s just that simple.

I would like to rid this country of all illegals. But, I’ll settle for as many as possible.

Old 10-04-2011, 06:39 PM

Quote:

Where did anyone in here claim that a DL proves citizenship? When has anyone who had a valid one on them when stopped by LE and been asked for a birth certificate also?

Now pray tell, what does a citizen "look like?" There are black Americans, white Americans, Asian-Americans, Filipino Americans, Indian-Americans, Americans of Middle Eastern descent, Latino/Mexican Americans. So what do you mean by aliens "looking and sounding exactly like citizens." Do you mean "white." Because if so, surely you realize that in some cities, whites are the definite minority! So just exactly what are you referring to?

Old 10-04-2011, 06:55 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,554,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee9786 View Post
Ask yourself why our government is not protecting our borders. Meanwhile we are supposedly fighting the bad guys in the desert across the world. Couldn't they simply walk across the southern border?

Think about it people. If they wanted to seal off the border they very well could have years ago.
Clearly, our borders remain porous to facilitate cheap labor and the illicit drug trade. Both are the result of corruption and greed. We could easily secure our borders, but that would mean too many politicians, bankers, and CEOs couldn’t profit from either. And, we certainly can have that.

Old 10-04-2011, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
...Now pray tell, what does a citizen "look like?" There are black Americans, white Americans, Asian-Americans, Filipino Americans, Indian-Americans, Americans of Middle Eastern descent, Latino/Mexican Americans. So what do you mean by aliens "looking and sounding exactly like citizens." Do you mean "white." Because if so, surely you realize that in some cities, whites are the definite minority! So just exactly what are you referring to?
You are SO hung up on ethnicity...

There are aliens that look and sound exactly like U.S. citizens...

It means exactly as I say it...

Old 10-04-2011, 08:05 PM

Quote:
You are SO hung up on ethnicity...

There are aliens that look and sound exactly like U.S. citizens...

It means exactly as I say it...
Please re-read my post again since I said that we have citizens of every ethnic group that would also mean that "there are aliens that look and sound exactly like U.S. citizens".

Old 10-04-2011, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Again, a citizen or legal immigrant of ANY race, ethnicity, or nationality, has no trouble proving their status. You even demonstrated that with the article you linked, albeit unwittingly. They will have access to whatever documents are required, if not on their person, at home.

Conversely, most illegal aliens will not have the required documents, other than those with stolen identities, or quality forgeries. After all, they are here illegally, and lack documentation. Isn’t that the reason pro-illegals refer to them as “undocumented?” Naturally, as with all criminals, some illegals will slip through the cracks, but most will not. It’s just that simple.

I would like to rid this country of all illegals. But, I’ll settle for as many as possible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Where did anyone in here claim that a DL proves citizenship? When has anyone who had a valid one on them when stopped by LE and been asked for a birth certificate also?...
Wave a wand, would you support tomorrow (if they could) for law enforcement to detain everyone they stopped (valid lawful contact) that could not confirm their true immigration status? No profiling, understanding that law enforcement would properly be doing their jobs in knowing aliens can look and sound like citizens? Would there also be a choice to expand the same principle to checkpoints that could be throughout the United States?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.