Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 06:08 PM

723 posts, read 2,999,004 times

Advertisements

Do you people even read what you type?

Old 08-22-2007, 06:25 PM

4,183 posts, read 6,523,791 times
Quote:
Hint: Even the poorest Mexican can afford an $800,000 house if enough people live there. 4 bedrooms and a two car garage can easily hold 6 couples. 12 wage earners X $15k/yr = $180k household income

So if 12 whites did the same thing you would not object?

Old 08-22-2007, 06:28 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,449,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndfmnlf View Post
So if 12 whites did the same thing you would not object?
I would, but look who's doing it out here. Its not whitey.

Old 08-22-2007, 07:24 PM

1,297 posts, read 5,509,223 times
Actually, we already are dealing with the increased latino population.

Massive new school construction to compensate increase of families living in apartments & increase in # of children per household.
Public Advertising in other languages.
Retail stores geared toward spanish speaking consumers.
Spanish Radio & Television networks.
City Mayor addressing citizens in both english & spanish on network tv.
Legal documents in spanish.
Court assistance in spanish (actually preferential treatment in traffic court).

Old 08-22-2007, 07:32 PM

1,297 posts, read 5,509,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
I would, but look who's doing it out here. Its not whitey.
Actually, they are...

A guy bought a small fixer home up the street from my parents paying $1.2+ mill about 5 years ago. He moved in two roommates within a few months. Even altered & added some doors etc to the downstairs section of the home (on a hillside) so it was like a 2nd unit with a separate entry. Both roommates had girlfriends so there are four tenants paying rent.

They park 5 cars on the street which is a narrow street. 2 leaked oil. ridiculous.
The prior owner, an old lady & husband never had a car on the street overnight as do most people in the neighborhood.

Old 08-22-2007, 07:41 PM

30,902 posts, read 32,998,960 times
It is always sad to see things change but the truth is, they do change. I remember on another forum, we were all reminiscing about a state and memories connected to that state. And it was all this running-around-catching-fireflies, staying out waaaaaaaaaay past dark and nobody being scared, walking through town at age six without anyone worrying stuff. And everyone was sad that things had changed. I was sad too.

But there are a couple of factors at work here. First of all, though statistics sometimes bear out massive changes, stats can be misleading. It depends upon how they're presented. It depends upon how much more savvy the local forces are today at actually seeing this stuff, which could have been there all along. Etc.

Second of all, we ALWAYS remember things in the past as being kinder and gentler. Even those of us who grew up in the harshest of homes remember a "generalized" it-was-a-more-innocent time sort of thing. We also remember things within our own context. We might remember, for example, when our neighborhood was "all Irish" or whatever and "very few hispanics" but really, when we're young, what is "our whole neighborhood"? We weren't watching the news, going on the internet or traveling.

Okay, those factors aside: Let's take the other possibility, probably at play here, which is: yes, there are more Spanish signs, illegal immigration is an issue, there are more Mexicans, etc. Frankly, there's more of EVERYbody. Not just Mexicans. What is the state's population today compared to 1970? 1980? Even 1990? You think we Anglos aren't having babies or moving in from other places?

As far as this changing "everything," again...everything does change. If nothing ever changed we wouldn't be typing this stuff on an internet forum right now. If nothing ever changed, we and our 8-year-old children would be working seven-day work weeks for $1.75. If nothing had changed since the 1930s, Bush would be running for office again. (Perish the thought!) Things do change...and I don't think the Mexicans "caused" this change per se. I say this because if you go on any state forum on this entire site, you'll see a few posts about how "so much has changed", with lack of safety and lack of community being at the top of all of these lists. Even on the Rhode Island forum, for god's sake, which has like, what, four pages? LOL--I saw people complain about all the transplants coming in and changing everything.

So, how to "deal with" this? Well, maybe Whitey won't be in charge anymore. Heaven forbid. At one time, Whitey wasn't in charge here either. Indigenous Americans were. Yes, groups overshadow other groups in various areas at various times. It's real life; it's the way things are. I understand that it feels sad to people who grew up in a certain place and a certain way, and see that that way is "gone", but understand that we ALL feel that way...no matter where we're from.

Now...are people in general, all across the country, who live in or close to city areas, "fleeing" to less dangerous areas? OF COURSE. But Los Angeles sure as heck doesn't have the market cornered on this phenomenon. The whole "the middle class is being eradicated" thing is another idea you'll see over and over again in all areas of the country. Is it only white people doing this? I doubt it! By the way, we're white, and we moved to LA (although my husband was actually moving back to LA...but I had never lived here), and I went to a small party recently and met nine people...five were not from California but had moved anywhere between the past five and past two years...and were all white. We went to another party, the next weekend, for my husband's friend at work, and I met another family of four plus two single women who had moved to LA from other parts of the country, and were both white. And no, not just whites were invited to this party, LOL. Anyway...obviously this is anecdotal and a rather small sample size to make an understatement. But to say whites are fleeing in screaming panic in our Volvos from LA while non-whites spill in dragging their families of 15 behind them is, to my mind, just a little slanted, a little bigoted...and a little panic- and fear-based. Why do people so often seem to fear those who are not just like them?

I saw above that a few people were saying latinos should be forced into diversified neighborhoods. It seems to be instinct to break up people's support systems in order to render them helpless; again, fear-based. That will solve everything, right? Because there are no white child molesters, murderers or thieves. Doing this to just Mexicans will absolutely return LA to the LA of the 1950s...right? (Where's that rolling-eyes emoticon?) How about this...all of us Anglos are no longer allowed to live in neighborhoods that have, say, more than 50% Anglos. Can you imagine??? How would you feel? This attitude is very, very fear-driven. Now basic fears, realistic fears, of the increased crime of cities in general is very real...but again...you see this everywhere. You DO NOT only see it in LA.

(p.s. As for the darker side of this--gangs...illegal immigration...etc....and crime connected specifically to the latino community, in detail, I know this isn't the forum for that. So please don't think I'm being naive in this post; I'm pointing out only the allowable things on this forum.)

Last edited by JerZ; 08-22-2007 at 07:58 PM..

Old 08-22-2007, 09:56 PM
CLQ

207 posts, read 1,086,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliguy2007 View Post

L.A in my opinion will remain a Diverse Region,but it is loosing it's Middle and Lower Income groups,and being replaced with more Wealthy Folks.
I agree...LA is turning into a 3rd world country with the disparity in income of the rich and poor.

Old 08-22-2007, 10:03 PM
CLQ

207 posts, read 1,086,112 times
I think it is still diverse here, just segregated. Race shouldn't matter. We are all individuals and it should be more about the culture here in LA that we should focus on and accept all.

Old 08-22-2007, 10:04 PM

1,286 posts, read 3,480,428 times
Default LA is becoming more diverse

It's rapidly becoming a city of the have and have-nots. The middle class is fleeing.

Old 08-22-2007, 10:52 PM

214 posts, read 872,011 times
first off los angeles it's still diverse but it's also some what segregated in some area of los angeles more in the low income neighborhood, but for me if the cost of living was not so damn high i would still be living in so cal. the only which force me to move out of los angeles was from a freak injury at my job 2 years ago so now i'm looking to move back east were the cost of living is much cheaper instead of paying that high rent. so if the mexican want to have los angeles all to them self by all means keep it. its starting to be more like tj anyways......but its all good i still have alot of good time in the city of angle
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration