Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 10:58 AM

67 posts, read 206,865 times

Advertisements

You guys are so shortsighted and oblivious to what's happening - Hispanics are moving THROUGHOUT the U.S. not just L.A. They represent affordable construction labor, so where there is major housing construction (Atlanta, Charlotte, Denver, etc.) there will be huge movements of Latinos to those cities. They are like you and me - they want to move where things are more affordable and jobs plentiful. I travel through the U.S. a lot, and if you all think that Los Angeles is the only place that's experiencing a shift in diversity, think again. Latinos are the No.1 growing ethnic minority in most states.

Maybe if you move to Omaha, Madison or Montpelier you'll see less of them, but don't kid yourself into believing that LA is the only city with a surge in Latino immigration. If anything, the Latino population in LA is growing slower than in other big cities.

Old 08-23-2007, 11:10 AM

723 posts, read 2,998,103 times
Moving to "immigration issues" forum in, 5... 4... 3...

Old 08-23-2007, 02:32 PM
CLQ

207 posts, read 1,085,881 times
I am of mixed ethnicity and embrace all cultures and walks of life. We get the best of all worlds when we come together and stop segregating ourselves. People are people PERIOD. I don't get why humans focus so much on the color of one's skin. It should be more about culture and creating our own here in LA. For example, in Hawaii, many people are of multiple races and it really doesn't matter. The culture is now a mixture of Asian, Polynesian, caucasian, Portuguese, etc. Can't we evolve and get away from this race issue and focus on our culture here in LA ??? It is really annoying.

Old 08-23-2007, 03:06 PM

18 posts, read 19,538 times
The United States (everywhere) made a bad mistake letting so many illegals flood our borders.LA has over a million illegal aliens who commit much of the crime.On the other hand the immigrants do the jobs that many americans do not want such as wash dishes and pick the crops.We should have passed the immigration bill back in the summer with the guest visa worker permits.At least we would know who these people are.LA would be in much better shape if it was a whole lot less diverse.As the city becomes more expensive many of the poor will be driven to the inland areas.We will still be paying to lock them up and to provide social services.I would love to know how much each illegal costs every legal California citizen.My uncle is a real estate developer in south Florida and he tells me that Florida is having huge problems with the illegal community more so other (illegal) latinos than mexicans.

Old 08-23-2007, 03:08 PM

La will probably become more crowded more polluted and business will be less inclined to want to set up here in the future.In 2050 there will be 6 hispanics 2 whites 1 asian guy and 1 black guy.The hispanic community will outnumber everyone else.

Projected General and Ethnic Populations Through 2050 for LA County

Old 08-23-2007, 03:11 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,413,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunsetCowboy View Post
La will probably become more crowded more polluted and business will be less inclined to want to set up here in the future.In 2050 there will be 6 hispanics 2 whites 1 asian guy and 1 black guy.The hispanic community will outnumber everyone else.

Projected General and Ethnic Populations Through 2050 for LA County
I'm sure Villarayblowso is rubbing his hands in glee...

Old 08-23-2007, 03:12 PM

2,433 posts, read 6,675,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurekRZA View Post

Do you listen to yourself?? Latinos are not going to end up staying in Los Angeles because of the high living cost.
I disagree. Look at the numbers. The city is becoming more and more Hispanic every year. Despite the increase in the cost of living. In fact, Los Angeles now has the largest urban concentration of Mexicans in the world outside of Mexico City. Some latinos may be leaving LA, but others are still pouring across the border and taking their place, and they give birth in much higher numbers than the white race. So despite the high cost of living, the percentage of LA's population that's latino is going to increase every single year.

Old 08-23-2007, 03:20 PM

I think LA will be overrun (it already has really) white people and black (of which I am one) will not want to live in a city so over the top latino.The politics will be dominated by latinos.The nice areas will stay white because the latinos have zero chance of affording a house in the costal areas.Black folks and latinos are already fighting in many of the inner city areas.The black gangs have been targeted by latino gangs.

Old 08-23-2007, 03:32 PM

116 posts, read 614,081 times
Look...everyone should take a deep breath and just relax. First off, it would be nice if people could distinguish between Mexican/Central/South immigrants and all Hispanics or Latinos. I'm not even going to get into the proper terminology and definition of each actual term, but just because someone is Latino doesn't mean there not American.

As a third generation American I am just as "American" as anyone else. I have the same political concerns and issues to deal with. In fact I, and most fellow Latinos I know, find it rather condescending that when politicians address so-called "Latino issues", they focus on immigration, as though education, affordable-housing, and similar issues wouldn't be at the forefront of our concern.

As for concerns about L.A. losing it's diversity and becoming more Hispanic or Asian every year, well yes it is. There is no solution to this problem, because is it really one? Historically, White flight, and the flight of those with means, has been occurring throughout L.A. history. Neighborhoods change. Hey, China Town used to be the center of Los Angeles' French community (remember French Hospital? The statue of Joan of Arc is still there, Phillipe's home of the French dip!). Highland Park/Lincoln Heights was the home of the Original Canter's and center of L.A.'s Jewish population. So, some areas are now majority Asian or Hispanic, other areas are re-gentryfying with an influx of young 20-30 something whites. Let's not forget the movement of L.A.'s gay population. Hey, I grew up in Monterey Park when older Japanese families were moving out due to the influx of immigrant Chinese. It's ironic that many of those same Chinese families ended up leaving Monterey Park for San Marino when Vietnamese started moving in...but I digress.

L.A. will always be a largely segregated and diverse city with people moving around it's environs. It's a vast area with enough communities and cities for everyone. Diversity in L.A. is not a problem unless you have a problem with a city with a minority white population as a whole.

Old 08-23-2007, 04:57 PM
CLQ

207 posts, read 1,085,881 times
Once again, who cares about race. Get over it, we will all be brown one day and if you have a problem with that, you are a racist. This is a socio-economic issue that should not target race. People can progress from being poor and there should be equal opportuntiy for all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration